Emmie

Cookie Composites G2

Saw that Cookie came out with a new full face helmet, looks pretty great, and I'm kind of tempted to get one, but wanted to see if anyone bought one yet/had a chance to fly with it, and what they thought? I use Z1 in the tunnel and a Factory Diver in the sky, but the Z1 is getting pretty beat up, and not a huge Factory Diver fan. It's a pain in the ass to keep taking it off/putting it back on in the tunnel, and it gets foggy or partially foggy on almost every jump (unless I just don't breathe...then it's ok :S). Anyways, anyone try the G2? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks!

I got two of them in my shop two weeks ago. No skydives yet due to bad weather, but from my first impressions I can only recommend it. Great big visor, super-secure locking mechanism and the ventilation should work with front and back vents.

That sounds like I am advertising, but I am a german dealer and will never sell in the US so take that statement as a honest advice. I will sell my Z1 and jump a G2 as soon as I get one in XL.

This is what I posted in another thread. Just search for "G2 helmet".

You can also check out "you tube - Cookie G2 helmet"

And go to www.Cookiecomposites.com

I've jumped the G2 about 35 times.

The visor is much thicker than any other helmet I've seen. Serious protection from knees and feet. And the closing/locking mechanism is strong.

Best unobstructed visibility of anything I've tried. And I've tried them all.

I love the fact that your mouth is not covered while the helmet is on. I can actually talk to people without being muffled and this includes under canopy. I had to scream at someone to get their attention on final. (They had no idea I was near them.)

The visor flips all the way back and out of the way while under canopy. I really hate having anything in front of my eyes while flying my canopy.

And the chin strap not only secures the helmet but also tightens the neck cowl in one motion.

This is an awesome helmet.

Cookie has really stepped up with this one.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Thanks so much for your comments. I have a follow up question. I plan on putting a go pro mount on top of this helmet if I get it. Would it interfere with opening of the visor. I know that when I had the go pro mount on my Z1, there wasn't enough room for the visor to open all the way up.

Depends on the mount, but if just the adhesive curved adaptor, that will work. You just have to put it back toward the center of the helmet...you can't put it right at the front edge.

Mike

Good info. I was going to ask that same question.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Got my helmet in the mail today! Looks awesome, cannot wait to fly it tomorrow!!! Quick question to anyone that's reading, anyone have any idea how to flip the visor up. I uninstalled it, and then re-installed it following Cookie's directions. Can't figure out for the life of me what to push to flip up the visor.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

So, just an update on the helmet, for those of you interested in getting one. Do it, it's awesome!!!! This helmet is amazing!!! I flew with it in the tunnel the other night, got in, flipped head down and then freaked out because I thought that I forgot to put the face shield on because I was seeing things I wasn't used to seeing with my old full face helmets. It was like I spent my whole with bad eyesight not knowing anything was wrong with my eyes, and then one day someone gave me a pair of glasses. :)
Oh yeah, this helmet is pretty great looking, for sure. By the time I was done flying, I had 3 different people tell me that they liked the way it looked so much, that they were ordering one that night. Oh, and it's also great that people can see you smile and read your lips while you're flying. I see this as a huge advantage for a tunnel helmet.

Love, love, love it!!!

Haven't jumped with it yet, just tunnel, so can't speak to the fogging via personal experience. However, it's very well ventilated (big vent in the front, and 2 in the back), and based on that I don't see fogging up being an issue. Also...I wore it around the house (don't judge, it was a new toy:P) for about 20 minutes with the shield down, and there was no condensation, or fogginess or anything like that. Can't imagine it would be any different in freefall, or under canopy.

I love a lot of things about my G2. It's a really big upgrade from the Sky Systems helmets I've used for the past 10 or so years.

BUT.

Here in the northeast at least, they fog like crazy for us RW jumpers, particularly while tracking off, a super bad time for that.

I know the guys on XP are drilling holes in the visors to try and stop the fogging issues, but are not satisfied yet with the results.

For myself, I find the biggest help is to keep the interior clean, especially from dust.

Cookie is pushing fog wipes as a solution from the dealers, as well as a foam thingie that extends the area around your mouth out a bit to redirect your breath. I've tried the wipes, but didn't get much result. The foam thingies have not yet been available at the local gear shop.

When I've talked to dealers, they tell me that Cookie has not fully acknowledged the problem, but that the dealers have heard from more than a few jumpers. Cookie has jumpers in a lot of different environments, and I can understand that some of the them may not have issues. But almost everyone who jumps a G2 at my DZ has experienced significant fogging.

I love the helmet, and I don't mean to be a whiny entitled skydiver brat, but I'd like Cookie to do some experimenting with lens mods to see if they can't get some ventilation that works. I hate that I am tempted to take a dremel to my expensive helmet, but I had to chop a few weeks ago, and truth be told, I did not have a lot of visibility. That ain't where I like to be.

We have the foam breather in stock for immediate shipment...this would be the best way to address the situation rather than drilling the visor:

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/g2-foam-breather.html.

Cookie has definitely acknowledged the issue and is working on a permanent design change to address this issue with the G3 helmet. Arizona Airspeed is currently testing this new design for Cookie.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

We have the foam breather in stock for immediate shipment...this would be the best way to address the situation rather than drilling the visor:

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/g2-foam-breather.html.

Cookie has definitely acknowledged the issue and is working on a permanent design change to address this issue with the G3 helmet. Arizona Airspeed is currently testing this new design for Cookie.

Mike

i have noticed it fogs up but only right after opening shock. i reach up and open it. no problem unless there is a malfuction. then i will hope all my practice pays off.

Gee glad i just shelled out for the G2 which they seem to admit has fogging issues and will correct on the new helmet. which i knew that a week ago. would have waited for the G3, hah
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante