skycamefalling

Tips On Packing A Fairly New Canopy

So when you psychopack, why is it the pilot chute is prone to becoming uncocked? Is it due to how you have to pull the top part of the canopy off to the side before you roll it up and put in the bag? Can that be fixed when you put the bag in the container and before closing it? I always check my p.c 3 times during the pack job. I am trying to get and stay in the habit of checking that many times so I hopefully never get a p.c.i.t.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

I also learned to pack on a brand new canopyB| I agree with everyone who said to do the first s-fold at the top of the cacoon, get it in the bag, then do the push the second s-fold (near the lines) into the bag. That way you are only having to control half your canopy at a time.

Also, what helped me is when your cocoon is on the ground (pre s-fold), to control the outer layer from the bottom with your hand. If you can keep the outer layer taut from underneath, you will prevent the 'guts' from spilling out when you start your folds.

My plan is to try and do the top S fold, get it in the bag and then do the other S fold. So hopefully this will work for me in the meantime until my canopy get a little bit more broken in. If I have trouble packing this way and after numerous times with no luck.....I guess I will try out the psychopack.

So when you psychopack, why is it the pilot chute is prone to becoming uncocked?

With a typical packjob, the bridle attachment sits next to the grommet on the bottom of the D-bag. With the psychopack, the attachment point sits at the side of the bag. The distance from the psychopacked attachment point to the typical position allows for, or can cause, the kill-line to retract.

Some people pull the attachment point way out which allows it to sit at or near the typical position. Others use a bridle extension.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I asked the same exact question, I have the same canopy. PD says they do not use this method, but I have read several posts on this site stating that it works fine, even without an extended bridle. Most agree though that if you plan to use the method, that an extension is a good idea.
If you make sure to re-cock the pilot chute after it is in the bag, it should be ok.
The method of making your last S fold in the bag, works well, but as others have said it is very possible for the tail to begin to unwrap and the slider get loose (You cannot keep tension on the pack job after you start folding it and place it partway into the bag).

After personally looking at both the psycho pack, and having used the split S fold method up until recently, I am going to try to keep getting better with just the standard pro pack. It can be a mother fucker, but done properly, I think it is the cleanest, and simplest way of packing.

If you can, pack in front of your computer, and have someone pause and play the packing videos, and do EXACTLY what the guy in the video is doing, and see how it goes. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Is an extension necessary? I wouldn't say so, but IMO it is better than not having one.

If you make sure to re-cock the pilot chute after it is in the bag, it should be ok.

The problem here is that when cocking (or semi-cocking) the PC after bagging one risks damaging the parachute by repeated abrasion with the kill-line.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Is an extension necessary? I wouldn't say so, but IMO it is better than not having one.

The problem here is that when cocking (or semi-cocking) the PC after bagging one risks damaging the parachute by repeated abrasion with the kill-line.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Just wondering why nobody suggest flat packing? Never learned how to but the finnished product looks like it would stay together alot better than apro pack...
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Here is the way I teach the people to S fold a canopy.

1. When laying on the canopy in order to bleed the air (using forearm), get it as a roll (trying to keep the lines as much as possible at the center) stay laying on the canopy and back up a little bit then take one third of the roll (at the pilot chute end) and fold it under itself. When you do that, have your hand under completely under the roll (catching the other side) where the fold is supposed to be.
2. Clean the folds with your hands in the crease to keep it tight. Continue to lay on it, back up again, keep on bleeding the air using your forearm them grab the 2 thicknesses of the roll and fold those two folds on the top this time to get now a total of three folds. All the time you lay on the canopy. This way makes you able to keep control on the fabric by applying a constant pressure and allowing you to have the use of your two hands. Moreover, if you need a few seconds break nothing is moving.
3. Still laying on the three folds get the DB ready, put the DB bottom flap under the 3 folds and fill up a corner then lock it with an elbow and arrange the other corner and the fabric in the middle. Make sure to expose the rubber bands. Use the rubber bands attachments to pull them with one hand while the other hand is stuffing the remaining fabric in the DB, repeat that the other side and when you have 3 third of the S folded canopy in the DB apply pressure on the DB mouth in the middle and get on your knees.
4. Put the DB upward always locking the canopy fabric with one hand, stuff the remaining part of the canopy into the DB making like a sort of small fold. Always make sure to comb the lines up to insure the stoppers are still against the grommets when you do that last little fold.
5. Stuff and compress the fabric into the DB and make the first locking line stow and so on... ;) Good luck. Expect to find it a bit difficult the firs times. Take it slow first and tell us how it works.

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

a canopy with 80 jumps should be fairly easy to pack; mine right from the manufacturer was "broken in" around 15 jumps. and it's not as if pack it on desert ground..

as for psychopacking; i think there's a reason why EVERY manufacturer recommends the pro-pack.. but hey, what do these guys know!? :|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i think there's a reason why EVERY manufacturer recommends the pro-pack

Well, I'm pretty sure Precision Aerodynamics is a manufacturer. ;)

as for psychopacking; i think there's a reason why EVERY manufacturer recommends the pro-pack.. but hey, what do these guys know!? :|

Food for thought:

http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/images/downloads/psychopack.pdf

well, i got the pro-packing information with my canopy; looks like them guys dont know how to make up their mind..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

you apparently do not have lots of packing experience (which is not a bad thing as you are showing the will to progress), so maybe check this video (and also parts 2 & 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhEHdKemr1M

Even with my 2000 odd packjobs I learnt A LOT by watching very recently this video.

Enjoy, have fun, and be proud of your packjobs.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

you apparently do not have lots of packing experience (which is not a bad thing as you are showing the will to progress), so maybe check this video (and also parts 2 & 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhEHdKemr1M

Even with my 2000 odd packjobs I learnt A LOT by watching very recently this video.

Enjoy, have fun, and be proud of your packjobs.

Thanks for the link. I have used that video and the newest from PD showing how to pack a larger canopy for reference while packing at home. I do not have a lot of pack experience yet. Almost all of my jumps have been on rentals (which is no excuse) for my inexperience in packing. But the only times I could make it out to the DZ was on weekends when it was extremely busy. But now that I have my own rig, I practice every chance I get at home. I am still having trouble with the S folds, but do not want to give up on doing them before I move on to a different method. I do really appreciate all of the information everyone has contributed to this thread so far. ThanksB|

A little story about at least one of those manufacturers known as Aerodyne. I had a pilot 168 that I was really struggling with getting it in the bag with the S folds after pro-packing. I learned how to psycho pack and it was a piece of cake. But before actually jumping the packjob, I contacted Aerodyne and told them the story. They told me simply that a neat and controlled psycho pack was MUCH better than a sloppy and uncontrolled pro-pack. I have been psycho packing ever since and will continue to do so because it is so easy for me to make it neat. And not to mention much better openings than I was getting on my pro-pack jobs. Maybe it's not for everyone but it definitely works for me.

Bought a brand new Triathlon a few years ago and pro packing it sucked big time. Learned to psycho pack that slick puppy & never went back. No line twists and I do triple check my pilot chute to make sure it's cocked :-)
No reserve rides as of yet!

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Big mistake I used to see people make all the time with new canopies was putting to much pressure on it once you have it all folded up. People tend to put all their weight on the canopy trying to control it while getting in the bag. All that does is make it want to slip and slide and turn into a big old pile of crap. Treat it gentle and dont try to smash it flat.
Dom

When you are starting your S-folds, just fold the canopy in half instead. This way you can ensure that the fold gets all the way into the the bottom of the d-bag. Put the folded end into the dbag and place your knees on the flap with grommets. Now you can fold and slide/push the "top end" into the d-bag nice and easy, pressing most of the air out as you go, and put the last fold (the slider/lines end) in place very easily...