jf951

packing a round

What kind of round main are you looking for information on? I would suggest that you talk to Peter when he is at PST about round if you are interested or you can talk to me next season since I am moving in the area and will be jumping rounds out there quite a bit. Another person out there with tons of round knowledge is Rudy. He would be a good person to talk to for the hands on experience.

Just asking out of curiosity, this thread just made me realize I know almost nothing about rounds. Boredom and general interest, don't have a specific chute in mind.

Are steerable and non-steerable rounds packed differently? What about things that aren't quite round but aren't square, say like a paradactal for instance? Are packing methods specific to a make of canopy?

What kind of round main are you looking for information on? I would suggest that you talk to Peter when he is at PST about round if you are interested or you can talk to me next season since I am moving in the area and will be jumping rounds out there quite a bit. Another person out there with tons of round knowledge is Rudy. He would be a good person to talk to for the hands on experience.

Just asking out of curiosity, this thread just made me realize I know almost nothing about rounds. Boredom and general interest, don't have a specific chute in mind.

Are steerable and non-steerable rounds packed differently? What about things that aren't quite round but aren't square, say like a paradactal for instance? Are packing methods specific to a make of canopy?

Generally speaking, the fundamentals are the same, ie: layout, flaking, folding.

With steerable it is like a square, you have to position the brake toggles in the correct position and stow the excess correctly.

Some rounds use a sleeve, some don't ie: MC-6 has no sleeve, The T-11 uses a sleeve

Where it can get different is based on the canopy, the T-11 has a different shape and as such the cruciform shape requires that you tuck where the corners come together between the folds of the gore, likewise the T-11 has "tabs or loops" at the top portion of the canopy that need to be collected and placed on the device designed to hold them while flaking the upper most portion of the canopy.

As I stated earlier, the hollywood video(minus the walking on the canopy and the skipping) shows pretty much how every round is packed minus the canopy specific details. If you googled say the MC-1 series I am sure you can find the manual that details how to pack it.

HERE is the manual for the MC-1. scroll down to "preparing the parachute for proper layout" and start reading there.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hi scott,

Again, an edit:

Where it reads:

you have to position the brake toggles

should read: you have to position the steering toggles

While they actually do some 'braking' they really are just a steering device. And no positioning req'd, they just lay near the guide ring.

And where it reads: stow the excess correctly

should be deleted: No round that I know has any excess brake line.

It should be noted that no round, that I know of, stows the brakes/toggles anywhere like a round does.

Sorry to knit-pick but I did not want this unknowing person getting some misinformation.

And for the trivia folks: Bill Berg, out of the Snohomish dz & member of the '64 US Team, was the 'only' person that I ever knew of to use a fabric/webbing toggle; everyone else used a wooden one or something similar to a wooden one. Berg's were called 'hand loops' back then. :o

JerryBaumchen

PS) And I suppose, some Sat. night over a drink or two, we could argue about that T-11 being a 'round' or not. :P

It should be noted that no round, that I know of, stows the brakes/toggles anywhere like a round does.

I think you have a typo there. Probably meant to say:

It should be noted that no round, that I know of, stows the brakes/toggles anywhere like a square does.

I will concede to the term steering as they do that as they do on a square canopy(they are actually called control lines in the manual) but on the MC6 they function like brakes much in the way we are used to landing a square parachute, failure to use both when landing can result in injuries and broken bones.It's one of the reasons why all soldiers must pass flying and landing on the simulator prior to jumping the system for the first time. Likewise, there is excess line that is stowed with a small rubber band on the MC6 once the steering toggles are positioned against the guide ring.

Illustrations from the manual on stowing the control line can be seen HERE and HERE

Illustration from the manual showing dressing the control line can be seen HERE and HERE
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hi Scott,

Interesting info.

I have no experience with military round canopies other than from my civilian days of jumping & rigging C-9s, 24 ft twills, 24 ft ripstops, etc.

None of them ( the C-9s, etc ) had any slack in the steering lines. Also, I kept the steering lines on my PC fairly 'snug' but that is because of where I wanted the stall point.

My effort was not to embarass you but to clarify this for someone who might be packing a round, civilian canopy; such as a FFE Preserve I, a Strong Lo-Po, etc.

Your knowledge of military parachute equipment impresses me. And I also appreciate your willingness to share that info.

Take care,

JerryBaumchen

Jerry, no harm, no foul, it's all good. I am positive there are far more things pertaining to rigging that you know, that I do not. And as always, I am always willing to share what little I know with whom ever asks be it rigging or anything else related to skydiving. I am constantly learning something new, thats what makes it fun.:)

SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING