riddler

Finally! Star Wars Episode 4-6 on DVD

I remember buying my first DVD player 10 years ago (they were only available on PC computer in the states), the sole intent of which was to get Star Wars on DVD. I don't like video tape, Laser Disc players were still pretty expensive, and all the pundits were saying DVD was the future of video. So after spending $350 for a Creative Labs DVD player, I found out Star Wars was not available, but soon would be (!!) So I waited. And waited. Heard rumors, promises, broken promises, signed petitions. Bought the two new episodes on DVD, but still don't own the original.

Now 10 years and two new episodes later, Lucas has formally announced Episode 4-6 on DVD, release date in September.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/news/2004/02/news20040210.html

By now, Star Wars are no longer my favorite all-time movies - having been replaced with the LOTR movies. Lucas has pissed me off with too many of his eccentric decisions. But I'll probably still be one of the first to pre-order the new DVDs :S It may seem easy being this consistently neurotic, but it's not.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Hey, anyone ever tell you that you look like Scott Evil? :P

I just saw a news blurb in the paper about the release of Star Wars IV - VI.
The idiots who wrote the blurb said that these episodes are "NOW called IV-VI because of the prequels.

What morons. You can watch an ollllld videotape of the first ones, and there in the scrolling words is "Episode IV: A New Hope." The "original" Star Wars was called IV from the beginning. I don't know why reporters, when told by their editors to write about something they have no knowledge of, dont't speak up and say, "Hey, boss, give me an assignment I'm not totally clueless about!"

I'll get the originals, but I don't give a flying shit about those abysmal recent episodes. Phantom Menace sucked balls, and whatever they called the next one, that one sucked too.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

do you know what episode three is going to be called?

Clone of the Phantom

The Menacing Clones

Moaning Phantom

Does it matter? Lucas has turned into a simpering twit with shit for ideas. WHAT THE FUCK WAS JAR-JAR BINKS?! WHAT THE FUCK?!?! WHOSE IDEA WAS THAT SHIT?!?! AND WHOSE IDEA WAS IT TO HAVE KEYSTONE COPS FOR BATTLE DROIDS?! "ROGER-ROGER"?! COULD YOU BELIEVE THAT IDIOTIC COMIC-BOOK BANTER BETWEEN DROIDS?! WHY DO DROIDS EVEN HAVE TO [I]SPEAK[/I] TO EACH OTHER? THEY WOULDN'T COMMUNICATE WIRELESSLY?!?! WHY DOES AN ASTROMECH DROID NEED A FUCKING [I]INTERPRETER[/I] BECAUSE IT CAN SPEAK ONLY IN BLIPS AND BEEPS?!! THIS IS ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY?!

Jesus, a seventh grader could write better science fiction. And these are the all-time biggest motion pictures?!

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Does it matter? Lucas has turned into a simpering twit with shit for ideas. WHAT THE FUCK WAS JAR-JAR BINKS?! WHAT THE FUCK?!?! WHOSE IDEA WAS THAT SHIT?!?! AND WHOSE IDEA WAS IT TO HAVE KEYSTONE COPS FOR BATTLE DROIDS?! "ROGER-ROGER"?! COULD YOU BELIEVE THAT IDIOTIC COMIC-BOOK BANTER BETWEEN DROIDS?! WHY DO DROIDS EVEN HAVE TO [I]SPEAK[/I] TO EACH OTHER? THEY WOULDN'T COMMUNICATE WIRELESSLY?!?! WHY DOES AN ASTROMECH DROID NEED A FUCKING [I]INTERPRETER[/I] BECAUSE IT CAN SPEAK ONLY IN BLIPS AND BEEPS?!! THIS IS ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY?!
-

Man! You dont sound all that peaceful to me, Jeffrey B|

Well...peaceful maybe. Relaxed? Nope ;)

Clue: ITS A MOVIE. IT DOESNT MATTER B|

Who gives a shit for gods sake?

Well - the appeal on the series left for me as soon as the Ewoks showed their muppet little faces. Jar-Jar is the same thing - no value added and some serious harm for someone trying to get into the movie.

I'm guessing Lucas can't understand that his fan base from the first movie actually grew up.

It's a shame, it was a very cool story of good vs evil for (? parts 4 and 5).

LOTR puts it completely to shame.

That said, I'll still watch the last one.
(I have 4-6 on video CD from Thailand - $4)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

do you know what episode three is going to be called?

No official name yet. TheForce.net has theorized "The Circle is Complete", from a Darth Vader line in the original trilogy. Personally, it doesn't sound to me like a name Lucas would use.

I'm guessing Lucas can't understand that his fan base from the first movie actually grew up.

Lucas, genius that he is, didn't do the prequels for you or me (the fan base from the first movie)...
he did it for the exact same group he originally did them for...
young kids aged 8-15...and I think he succeeded. As much of a nut over the original trilogy I was, my children are over the new set.

good for him. :)

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

young kids aged 8-15

Tru dat. Despite how much we hated Jar Jar, he was the second most popular character in Phantom Menace.

One good thing out of the new movies. When I was a kid, I loved the trilogy, but I remember all the critics said they were terrible movies. I finally understand why - the critics were adults, and I was not.

you two are right of course. Merchndizing here we come!

You do have to admire Lucas for going for the $$$ instead of putting on a facade of a self congratulatory artist making statements about society and kissing up to the other hollywood types.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants