alexpereira

Skyhook malfunction

In my opinion, that person should not be jumping with a camera if he misunderstands his gear and his emergency procedures as poorly as that. The RSL/camera debate has raged for a long time, but at the VERY least your pal should know that putting a camera helmet on means you must adjust your EPs in the case of certain malfunctions. Simple example: steering line tangle on camera resulting in spinning twists... must cut away helmet first or risk almost having your neck broken.

Skyhook or no, your guy is a danger to himself.

Having said that, I love my Skyhook.

He was just referring to Bill Booth's comment on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-WBBLAgE_s
at 5:47min. I'm sure that he is aware of the EPs when jumping with camera. I just wanted to point out how much faith he was putting on a small piece of aluminum,after watching the Skyhook promo video.

But let's go back on the question why sometimes Skyhook doesn't work as a MARD

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I've had the same thing happen to me. I had 4 Sigma Tandem Skyhook equipped cutaways. The 4th. Believe it or not, I had a very hard opening followed by violent Spin on an Icarus with the right rear of the main badly tension knotted to the center. Spun like a top 4 rotations before I could cut us away. I pulled both handles in sequence. Opening was much slower and lower than my previous 3. Discovered freebag had separated from main. I can't prove it but I suspect the Spin combined with the magnetic riser covers may have contributed to the pilot chute taking over. Had 3 Sky Hook cutaways on Solo Rigs. 1 on Vector 3(Intentional Cutaway Rig) 2 On a Javelin. All three worked flawlessly. Not spinning mals. I did see the red lanyard break the loop where it engages the hook once when a friend Chopped with a Sigma Tandem. Pilot Chute took over. All I can say is always pull both handles in proper order regardless of what back ups you have. I've have 2 cutaways with capewells back in the day. Took at least twice as long to cutaway with those bastards and Im still here. I'm departing from the subject slightly. Sometimes I think we get so caught up with our gadgets that we forget about our most important piece of equipment. Our Brain. Pull your main high enough to cutaway high enough to deploy your reserve high enough to do so stable and perhaps not have an off field landing.

When I was going through rigger training, I was having a conversation with my instructor about the sky hook system as my primary rig is equipped with one. He mentioned that if the sky diver is spinning when he or she does a cut-away, if they happen to be spinning in a particular direction (can't remember which direction) that sky hook will disengage from the free-bag bridle and the system operates in old school mode. It sounds as they may have happened to you.

When I was going through rigger training, I was having a conversation with my instructor about the sky hook system as my primary rig is equipped with one. He mentioned that if the sky diver is spinning when he or she does a cut-away, if they happen to be spinning in a particular direction (can't remember which direction) that sky hook will disengage from the free-bag bridle and the system operates in old school mode. It sounds as they may have happened to you.

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/skyhook/09109PackIns.pdf

Looking at the way the skyhook sits it appears that open end is facing to the left. So just maybe a violent spinning malfunction to right might just yank the skyhook lineyard off the open end of the skyhook.

Maybe instead of having the bridle and skyhook sitting in a horizontal positioning. Setting the bridle and skyhook (the open end of the skyhook) in a more downward angle would correct this issue? If this is truly an issue?

Looking at the way the skyhook sits it appears that open end is facing to the left. So just maybe a violent spinning malfunction to right might just yank the skyhook lineyard off the open end of the skyhook.

Maybe instead of having the bridle and skyhook sitting in a horizontal positioning. Setting the bridle and skyhook (the open end of the skyhook) in a more downward angle would correct this issue? If this is truly an issue?

It could potentially not release the red lanyard in the event of a main total... I think that would be very bad.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It could potentially not release the red lanyard in the event of a main total... I think that would be very bad.

how would that happen?

Unless there is something that Im not seeing, in the event of a main total (nothing out), the skyhook disengages the red loop and the reserve PC takes the deployment.

If you were to bend the hook opening down or something similar, the skyhook could get hung up on the lanyard.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

The possibility of the hook being bent and catching the red lanyard is possible, though, it would take quite an impact to do it. I've packed more than 50 rigs with the skyhook set up and I always give the system a very close inspection. In my opinion the skyhook system does add an extra stage in reserve deployment by having the red lanyard connected to the hook. In the event of a total malfunction the possibility does exist that the lanyard could hang up on the hook. It is man made. The only alternatives you have to effect a reserve deployment is to disconnect the shackle from the riser or even use a hook knife to cut it. . I know this is unlikely but the possibility must be considered.

how would that happen?

Unless there is something that Im not seeing, in the event of a main total (nothing out), the skyhook disengages the red loop and the reserve PC takes the deployment.

If you were to bend the hook opening down or something similar, the skyhook could get hung up on the lanyard.

I was referring to how it is packed and not bending or modifying the hook.
Packing it with the open end downward would actually make it more unlikely to get a total.

how would that happen?

I was referring to how it is packed and not bending or modifying the hook.
Packing it with the open end downward would actually make it more unlikely to get a total.

Ahh, sorry, I thought you said you wanted to bend the hook down a little bit, disregard my previous statements.

Skyhook's definition of "down" is primarily defined by tension on the RSL or reserve pilot chute. ... fairly easy to predict ...

"Down" is also defined by which direction the jumper is tumbling ... almost impossible to predict ...

If you look at the last image on page 5 you see the skyhook being packed horizontally position .

What I am saying is why not have it packed/positioned at more of an angle and not horizontally. That way there is less likely a chance of the skyhook lineyard sliding off the open end on a cut away from a violent spinning malfunction.

The skyhook lineyard is going to mostly get pulled in a upward (top of container) direction and/or also a left or right direction if you are spinning.

By angling the skyhook you make the skyhook lineyard less likely to slide off the hook if it gets pulled in a left direction.

I haven't bothered to read further down the thread yet, so I might be repeating other people, but,...........WHY DIDNT YOU PULL YOUR RESERVE HANDLE??????????????? Who really cares whether or not the skyhook worked properly or not. What you should be asking yourself is why didn't you follow through with my emergency procedures and save your own life instead of waiting for something to save you?????????

LAME

In 14 Skyhook equipped rides, I've had the Skyhook do the job of deploying the reserve 12 times.

I am 0 for 1.

It was an intentional cutaway on a tersh rig to test/feel/learn about the skyhook.

I watched the main canopy leave, saw the risers without the PC attached, saw about 50 to 75' of distance from the risers when I finally saw the reserve PC come off my back and deploy the reserve as a traditional RSL much lower than it would have been if the Skyhook would have worked.

I know a few skydivers who have said to me, "I have a skyhook, I feel comfortable cutting away lower." I say, "B.S." It is a good tool, but it definitely has a significant "fail safe" rate of reverting back to a traditional RSL per what I have seen.

it broke free of the freebag just after deployment,

from my understanding of the skyhook design(which is basic) if the pilot chute creates more drag then the main at any time during the deployment then the skyhook will disconnect from the reserve bridal

Is it possible for a however many inch pilot chute to produce more drag than a XXX sq. ft. canopy? That is the way the system works, but I think it only works like that if you have a baglock/no main inflated.

Is it possible for a however many inch pilot chute to produce more drag than a XXX sq. ft. canopy? That is the way the system works, but I think it only works like that if you have a baglock/no main inflated.

i believe while unlikely it is possible in some situations could be wrong though

Hi flash,

Is it possible for a however many inch pilot chute to produce more drag than a XXX sq. ft. canopy?

To the best of my knowledge ( and I may be wrong ), not mfr builds a variable diameter reserve pilot chute.

That is the way the system works, but I think it only works like that if you have a baglock/no main inflated.

During testing of the RAX System, a bag-lock test was the ONLY test in which the reserve pilot chute eventually took over and began pulling on the reserve system.

Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqxjHOSKTT0

JerryBaumchen

:)
Thanks.

1. Does the closing loop & the staging loop were set by UPT's instructions? closing loop 1" longer than the staging loop?
2. Does the free bag bridle fold into the staging loop was done by the manual? 1" into the bungee loop & NOT a needle fold?
3. Does the bridle has an "EXTRA" fold before set into the staging loop?
4. Does the packing job of the free bag was "Zero" fabric at top & most fabric at the bottom of the bag?
5. Does the reserve p/c fabric was folded as should? extra fabric around & close to the p/c & did NOT slide under the side flaps? (Flaps # 4 & 5)
6. Does the hook itself after set & the red lanyard was conected & secured with 1 turn of rigger RED COTTON thread with a surgeon's & overhand knots was in side to side position? or moved to an angle of top to bottom when the extra bridle exit under flap #2A toward bottom for being set? You pull the bridle too hard & the hook might be pulled toward the bottom = the open side of the hook facing toward top of reserve container.
7. Does the GREEN line loop was set all the way into the GREEN Ty.3 on flap # 2?
I have here 16 Sigma & V3's (Sport & Student) with skyhook & staging loop systems & with skyhook only & I saw some wild spinning cutaways & never saw a problem with the system.

I did found a rig came to me from the USA packed by a rigger & the loop/staging loop was set too short & when I opened it on the ground the bridle did not released from the staging loop like it should - I lift the h/c in the air hanging on the bridle which was in the staging loop - only after few time in the air & some shacking it was released. Also there was a great amount of fabric at the top of the free bag.

:)
Please share the details with us.

Thanks.

I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Then how would you ever get to the DZ?;)

damn all those trailerparks!!! :D:D:D

They all look so much like.........home.

i cant help myself but think: "where the fuck is eminem!?"
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Then how would you ever get to the DZ?;)

damn all those trailerparks!!! :D:D:D

They all look so much like.........home.

i cant help myself but think: "where the fuck is eminem!?"

Isn't that a medical proceedure for constipation