NoShitThereIWas

Mildew Rig, Canopies

Hello, I have not been in the forums for a while nor the sport but am hoping to get back into the sport this winter/spring and had some questions for the riggers. I was storing my G4 containing my Stiletto and PD Reserve in a storage facility and there was a hole which allowed water to leak in. Two winters ago, we had a lot of rain which unfortunately saturated my rig, jumpsuits, etc. and the result is a smelly rig full of mildew. It sat like that for a good year.
Luckily my renters insurance paid for it but I want to salvage the container. My Stiletto had thousands of jumps and I don't think I would want the reserve in there even if it was considered airworthy by PD but I am trying to salvage the container. It has been a while since I have rigged so I forgot the formula for mildew. Can anyone help out? Also I do love the main so if there is a chance of saving it, it has lines on it with less than 50 jumps. It is a shame but the lines smell like and have mildew/mold whatever it is on them too. Thanks!
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Would you put a first time student out of a plane on any part or all of it?

would you put a first time student under a stiletto?
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

It's a mildew safety question:

Would you be comfortable putting a student out on that rig?
If not, why would you be any more comfortable using it yourself?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi ThereIWas,

I would suggest that you wash it with a mild soap ( Cheer comes to mind ) in cold water. Then rinse until you hate the word. Then hang it up to dry, give it a good inspection ( maybe the old smell test along with a very good visual ) and see what you think.

My money ( only $0.02 though ) says it will work out OK.

JerryBaumchen

Per Poynter,Vol 2, page 362.

"......Areas affected by mildew should be washed with a mild soap,rinsed,dried and tested."

This is in reference to dealing with mildew on a nylon canopy and is applicable to your container as well. Personally, I would be hesitant to spray with Febreeze or any other odor masker/neutralizer chemical that hasn't been specifically tested on parachute equipment by the chemical manufacturer and or authorized by the container manufacturer, but thats just me. Soap(Woolite,etc), water, elbow grease is as safe a bet as you can get.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I concur with washing the Harness and container with a mild soap and rinsing thoroughly with water. Air dry the rig completely. Sending the rig to Mirage for an inspection might be your best option. Washing a canopy is a bit trickier. Improperly washing a canopy is going to negatively affect the permeabilty of the fabric. Gentle agitation by hand in clear water is about all you can do. Perhaps sending it to PD for inspection would be the best solution. They can inspect it and give you their recommendations.

Cheer doesn't strike me as a mild soap. It's a multi component detergent, whichever version you get.

The closest think available to soap is ivory classic bar. You can shave it to recreate Ivory flakes. Even it now has a couple of new ingredients added.

Woolite used to be the default but it's composition has also changed over the years.

BUT setting wet that long I don't think I'd put it back in the air. Even if it seems clean and doesn't stink you have no way of judging the degradation of the webbing or thread strength. If you got paid for it, and I have assumed replaced it, I'd find another way to get a second container. If your trying to ressurect this one instead of replaceing it, use the money to buy something you dont' have to wonder about.

Also I'd expect all of the hardware to be corroded. Even if you have stainless steel for most of it I'd expect some damage to housings, clamps, PC spring, ripcord, cutaway cables etc.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Thanks for all the noteworthy advice from the riggers. I remember my Master Rigger mentioning Woolite, washing and rinsing but I can't remember the order of what I was supposed to do first. I know when we would wash rigs, we would spray them down and saturate them with Simple Green, gently brush in a circular motion and then do consecutive rinses a wash/rinse tub I think having Woolite in it and then a freshwater rinse in another tub followed by a wash cycle and air dry. Would this be an OK method? I am just fuzzy on the details. Thanks for the Poynter's Reference and also the notes about the hardware, inspection of the rig and manufacturers suggestions. All of the stainless steel looks good on the outside, no rust, corrosion, etc. but isn't that what stainless steel is supposed to do? I do need to check the cable housings and reserve ripcord. When I take it all apart I will visually inspect everything. It didn't look that bad... It was inside my gear bag which was nylon and did provide a little protection at least. But eventhough it doesn't look that bad, my rig is black and purple so I may not be able to see the real damage. What kinds of testing would be done if I send the container to Mirage? Do they do a strength test on the entire harness and how do they assess damage from mold or mildew? Thanks again.

Too many questions about the safety/wisdom of trying to salvage your container. When in doubt, err on the side of caution. Donate it to the local DZ for possible use as a training aid if they want it. Get yourself some new/different gear that is problem-free. A bad canopy is one thing - if your harness fails - that's quite another!

I'm not going to give advice on how to check it for being airworthy.

But if you want to get rid of the smell, after you do all the washing and drying, place it in a plastic garbage bag and put it in the freezer for 5 or 6 days.

Pull it out and hang in the sun for a couple of hours.

It will kill the residual mold.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Do they do a strength test on the entire harness and how do they assess damage from mold or mildew?

NSTIW... that's the crux of the matter, isn't it? How does one really test a harness for integrity / strength?

I've heard more than one master rigger say there's really no way to "pull test" a harness to "proof" it. Now maybe that was more of in a different situation than this.

I'd be interested to hear what the mfgr says, but I'd guess when you describe to them what you described here, they might tell you the container shouldn't be considered air-worthy to cover their ass.

Curious, maybe you answered it, but I missed it, but if insurance has paid for it, why not just order a new rig, replace it and move on?

Anyway, good to see you back. If I recall correctly, you did your first jumps at Cal City? B|

I guess you could wash, rinse, repeat the container like JB suggested. Dry it, pack it up with a couple of suitable canopies and then strap it to a 300lb test dummy and toss it from an airplane a few times, but I'm not really sure what that would prove? :S

Personally, I'd be worried about the harness stiching. My 2 cents... if it had been my rig, I'd be serioulsy bummed, say lots of bad words and replace it... but that's just me.

Hey ZigZag, good to see you on here too! You are correct, I did my first two jumps back at CalCity in March '96. You are probably right about the rig. Frankly, I don't care that much about the canopies. I am just in love with my Mirage G4. It is like Mine/made for me. And it seems not so bad. I really won't know until I tear everything apart and inspect it all how bad it really is. Yes, the insurance did pay for it but I lost more than the total claim amount with everything in there. I am not in any real rush to get back in the sport so time isn't a factor. It just seems like a harness is so much stronger and durable than canopy fabric. I don't know what I will do with it, but if there is any chance of it being unairworthy after I inspect it and/or send it to Mirage I won't put it back in the air. I would just really like to salvage it. I guess I am super attached, she was my baby... :(

I guess I am super attached, she was my baby...

Yeah, I know what you mean... and gear prices since we started out in the sport are just &^%#$ ridiculous! :S

So did you send her back to the mfgr for a look see or are you planning on doing that yourself?

It just seems like a harness is so much stronger and durable than canopy fabric.

Again, I'd be worried about the harness stitching...

The part that makes giving you advise on this is that none of us can see what the extent of the mildew damage is. Is it a few spots here and there, the entire rig was submerged under/in water, is it only on the container, etc.?

As was stated, it's always good to err on the side of caution if there are doubts.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The way I look at it is...

Main - well, as long at the PC and cutaway components are in good working order, I can air-test it to see if its good.

Reserve - makes me a little more nervous, but with a clean inspection, including acid test, pull test and porosity test this might be given a clean bill of health... Best for the factory to check it... (how old is it... aren't there better out by now... this is your "last chance")

Harness... well... there is no pull testing this. What exactly was in that water? If you don't check the reserve (more fragile) than we don't have that baseline to give us a warm fuzzy... And the way I see it, with any other failure there are things to fight with on the way down... a failed harness... well that just leaves me with time to think about it.

But the good news: most mfgs will reharness your rig for a small fraction of a new system. With that, you could still use it and be secure that the harness will take those hard smackers...

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

At the very least, NSTIW, you have training gear. Your DZ might like to have the G4 to use as a hanging harness for FJC, refreshers, etc.

Although it won't help you now, the one point I'd like to make, which I don't think has yet been made, is to take care to properly and safely store gear and this situation, and ones like it, can be avoided and/or minimized.

Good quality storage tubs suitable for a rig are readily available and cost under $20. IMO any length of storage shouldn't be taken lightly.

I've never heard a skydiver say, "You know, I'm really glad I didn't take the 10 minutes and $10 to protect my gear!", but I've heard more than a handful sing the blues because the didn't.

Food for thought.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73