gilead1

Psycho pack and line twist

hello
this was the 10th jump on my new XAOS-21 94sqf (loaded @ 1.98).
I'm new to the psycho pack,
I didn't pay attention to the bridle during the bagging and I think that the bridle "wrapped" the rolled canopy and here is the result [:/]
I also didn't have a bridle extantion - now I do.

gilead

P.S
I'm pscho packing for 2 reasons:
1. canopy manufacturer recommendation
2. I just can't make the S folding - it is too slippery for me ;)

That almost looks like you continued in the same direction with your "Flip" when you bagged the canopy.

I do not pack that way any more but when I did I flipped the canopy back before I put it in the bag, I never used an extension on my bridle and it was not an issue.

A jumper I know has a little saying he uses for his Psycho Pack: "Flip right then left, like my Politics" it works for him.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

maybe instead of undoing the twist you put in when packing, you twisted it more when placing it in the container? I don't see how the bridle could be wrapped around the roll job. The bridle gets pulled out of the center of the roll, then pulled tight as the bag is put in place.

How can you wrap the bridle around it?

edited:spelling
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

maybe instead of undoing the twist you put in when packing, you twisted it more when placing it in the container? I don't see how the bridle could be wrapped around the roll job. The bridle gets pulled out of the center of the roll, then pulled tight as the bag is put in place.

How can you wrap the bridle around it?

When its packed the bridle comes out of the side kinda
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

You're using a pack job that involves inducing a line twist, then reversing it before closing the container. What did you expect?

Playtime is over. Stop blaming the canopy for your problems and learn how to pack.

way to be helpful. from what i can tell he was just showing a video so that others can learn and pay attention to their packing:S
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Stop blaming the canopy for your problems and learn how to pack.

No my friend,
Maybe I was not clear enough but I did not blame the canopy!!!
on the contrary - I'm quit sure I didn't have to cutaway thanks to the grate symmetric opening of the XAOS,

And yes - I'm learning how to pack and the learning process involved line twist, maybe this post will help one to avoid it B|

That's not what I meant when I said don't blame the canopy. Don't blame the canopy being slippery for needing to twist it up to bag it. It's less than 100 sq. ft., just fold it and put it straight in the bag.

The psycho pack was created for new jumpers who had trouble getting a Z-po canopy into the bag. Keeping in mind that newbies jump big canopies, and with little packing experience, a newer 170 or 190 can be a handful. With 4500 jumps, and a 94 sq ft canopy, just fold the thing and bag it, it's not that hard.

That's not what I meant when I said don't blame the canopy. Don't blame the canopy being slippery for needing to twist it up to bag it. It's less than 100 sq. ft., just fold it and put it straight in the bag.

The psycho pack was created for new jumpers who had trouble getting a Z-po canopy into the bag. Keeping in mind that newbies jump big canopies, and with little packing experience, a newer 170 or 190 can be a handful. With 4500 jumps, and a 94 sq ft canopy, just fold the thing and bag it, it's not that hard.

mostly true, but -
1. the D-bag size is a factor you ignored
2. I'm psyco packing because it is the manufacturer recommendation and I believe they know the best.
3. for the last 6 years I rarely pack for my self ;)

From what I have read, psycho packs can induce line twists if the bridle gets yanked before the canopy is unrolled once it is out of the bag. Picture right before you bag it, with the bridle sticking out the side of the roll. If you simple pull on the bridle, it is going to get all twisted up.....

Oh, I see. Your rig is too small for your canopy, and in 16 years and 4500 jumps you never learned to pack for yourself. That explains it all, how silly of me to comment on the situation.

Not silly, but rude. Seems after eight years and 4000 posts you still haven't learned to be helpful instead of just broadcasting your ego. Geez!
---
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
~ Bertrand Russell

Seems after eight years and 4000 posts you still haven't learned to be helpful instead of just broadcasting your ego. Geez!

My ego? You realize that the OP has almost the same number of jumps and time in the sport as me, and that we're talking about being able to pack a slippery 94 sq ft parachute. It's not exactly a high-caliber achievement, and something that is reasonable to expect a jumper of half his experience to be able to easily accomplish.

If this was a newbie, or some sort of extrordinary feat like winning a gold medal or holding a world record, I could see your point. For a guy in his position, to not be able to pack your own rig without using a 'trick' packjob, and not even doing it right then, is fair game for any comment I may have.

The bridle exiting the side of the roll spins the canopy as it comes out of the bag. I always had linetwists, that were nearly always in the same direction. I was told to roll the bridle extension down the center of the roll instead of coming out of the side, no more linetwists from the canopy getting spun as it left the bag.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

My ego? You realize that the OP has almost the same number of jumps and time in the sport as me, and that we're talking about being able to pack a slippery 94 sq ft parachute. It's not exactly a high-caliber achievement, and something that is reasonable to expect a jumper of half his experience to be able to easily accomplish.
If this was a newbie, or some sort of extrordinary feat like winning a gold medal or holding a world record, I could see youur point. For a guy in his position, to not be able to pack your own rig without using a 'trick' packjob, and not even doing it right then, is fair game for any comment I may have.

This is what ego is all about -
to be able to admit that even with 4500+ jumps, instructions rating and 17 years in the sport i screw up like a newbie :P
and if you want more - this is my first cross brace :o So I'm using straight front risers landing for now.... not cool at my experience....
but any way, you are totally right - any comment is fair ;)

Gilead
P.s
1. I'm not a rigger so it is not so wrong to get hard time begging a new canopy in to a small bag (even a pecker worked hard)
2. I'm not using packing tricks - I'm following the manufacturer recommendation

using a 'trick' packjob

Not really a trick if it's what the manufacturer reccomends. I used to get perfect openings on my Safire by psyco packing (because it's how the manufacturer recommends) and now I use packers 90% of the time and I pro pack it aswell, because I'm quicker at it and never have I had an opening anywhere near as good!

You're using a pack job that involves inducing a line twist, then reversing it before closing the container. What did you expect?

Playtime is over. Stop blaming the canopy for your problems and learn how to pack.

Unnecessary asshole replies like this are why many many people I jump with refuse to post on this site.
What is it about the anonymity of the internet that brings out the worst in otherwise decent people?

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Unnecessary asshole replies like this are why many many people I jump with refuse to post on this site.
What is it about the anonymity of the internet that brings out the worst in otherwise decent people?

He isn't posting anonymously.

He also isn't an otherwise decent person!:D
BASE 1384

I've read a lot of your posts and while you do have a lot of good things to say, your delivery sucks. Truly.

Do you speak this way to people in person and if so, are you mainly laughed at, punched, or ignored? Because unless you're surrounding yourself with weaker, more insecure people, I can't imagine anyone putting up with it for long.
Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

When you packed it did you out it on your left shoulder, then when moving it to the floor and flipping it did you flip it to the left?

I was able to mimic your twist that way every time by NOT flipping it back. The lines on the right I think are from being loose in the pack job and the had a type of tension not.

I think once this canopy "roughs up" and you try a PRO pack this wont be an issue, till then some sort of memory trick to make sure you get the flip un-flipped.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience with this incident. I've seen canopies twist up because the bridle's wrapped up around the canopy in side the bag and because the packer flipped it the wrong way and ended up putting a full twist in the lines rather than taking the half twist out before doing the line stows. Glad you didn't have to chop it. Theres a lot to be said about keeping the conversation..........Productive, for lack of a better term. By the time I finished reading this discussion I felt like I was drowning in a pissing contest. Keep it positive and be safe.