speedy

Down sizing again...

I think it’s about time I start to down size again. I have currently over a 1000 jumps on a Velocity 90. I have also done a few jumps on a 78 Blade but that did not do really ring my bell.
Therefore I have decided to skip the 58 nitro and goes straight to the VX 39 that Luigi jumps.
After all the VX flies big and it can’t be that much more of a problem than the 58 Nitro.
I will be careful on the first jumps, landing it straight in with no turns close to the ground. :S

I looked at a number of posts here and it seems this sort of progression is standard practice. :o

Any thoughts or helpful tips? :D

BTW. I can do all of Billvons check list on my current canopy. :P
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Speedy the VX39 has a larger pack volume than you may want for your too cool for school container.

I think the VX31.5 will look better with the "Last Chance+ 35" reserve.

And be sure to use the collapsable 3" pilot chute for less drag.

I have done accuracy, demos and CRW with my VX...it's a versatile canopy!

When I get 100 jumps on the VX31.5 I am going to downsize to the VXXX29.1, my friends say I can handle it no problem.

Get ahold of Kolla. Mention that AggieJohn (long story) sent you and you can get an Optima 51 reserve that packs up like a 36. Then your rig would have a total pack volume of 58 cu in. That's cool, but with a 26" pilotchute your rig will look big and uncool.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That is the funnyest shit i have ever seen here. Ill buy that Velo 90, I mean i have all the check list and been at the same loading for 300 jumps. i have got to be ready for that Velo;). Why waist time with those slugish canopys:P

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Any thoughts or helpful tips?

As long as you fly it conservatively I'm sure you'll be just fine. After all, Luigi has landed it what, 20 times now, and there's only been one person who's gone in just from line twists on something that small, right?

How hard can it be?

Contact the nearest farmer.

If you insist on ploughing in, you might as well do it somewhere useful. :P

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

When I get 100 jumps on the VX31.5 I am going to downsize to the VXXX29.1, my friends say I can handle it no problem.

Now THAT'S funny! :P

I'm going to use that one when I downsize from my 170 to an 84 when I hit 100 jumps :)
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

It is mockery at its worst.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A mockery of ignorant people with stupid WL at low jump #'s?????? I hate to offend ignorant people:S. So what is your WL since it is not listed??????

The mockery is of people that really want to consider downsizing.
The problem is pointing out stupid people is stupid. What's the point. How productive can that be in the Safety and Training forum?

Because sometimes that is the only way you can reach them...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The problem is pointing out stupid people is stupid.

Well now you've painted yourself into a corner. If your statement is true, then it would appear that you are pointing out a stupid person...

What's the point. How productive can that be in the Safety and Training forum?

Because telling the guy straight out didn't seem to get through, so people are trying another approach.

And even if it doesn't help make the point to this one guy, maybe someone else reading this now or finding it in a search sometime later will see how seriously dumb people thought this was.

You say that you don't find this funny. Well, I don't find this thread funny, either. In fact, I find that thread somewhat disturbing because it shows yet another jumper willing to totally ignore the experience and advice of people with much greater experience, and also the willingness to ignore the evidence shown in statistics over the years that this is not a sensible approach to downsizing. Instead, he seems dead-set on finding some way of "doing it safely" because "he can handle it".

Which is the more dangerous message to be sending out to new skydivers who may be reading this forum? That if you do something stupid, people might make fun of you, or that reducing the amount of fabric over your head by 40% while also transitioning to an elliptical canopy is perfectly acceptable?

If I do something stupid in this sport, I only hope that a few people I've never met making fun of me is the worst consequence I have to deal with.

I dont think age has anything to do with it, but commen sence does. The op is only making fun of the countless idiots that down size like only a stupid person would. If you are of age (like you suggest), then i think you out of all people would get it.

And all you guys wonder why people feel blasted and don't appreciate a lot of the feedback they receive in the forums.

I have a feeling that the advice given AND the OP's reaction to it quite depends on the attitude of the OP.

I'm not a very experienced jumper, but I feel it simply is impossible to make a certain type of person hear sensible advice, regardless of the tone.
If you are, however, a newb like I am who has a serious question, most people will at least try to give an answer to the best of their knowledge.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom