Cava

Happiness and intelligence

Many of you will be familiar with the Simpsons episode in which Lisa notes that there is an inverse relationship between happiness and intelligence. That is, the smarter you are, the more likely you are to be unhappy.

What's your opinion on this?
What has been your experience?

Many of you will be familiar with the Simpsons episode in which Lisa notes that there is an inverse relationship between happiness and intelligence. That is, the smarter you are, the more likely you are to be unhappy.

The concept of dumb and happy about it is reinforced by scientific study:

www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think I like the irony of finding such wisdom from the Simpsons. I understand the premise of happines versus intelligence, but I don't agree with it. I'm reasonably intelligent but not unhappy. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think it depends on what kind of intelligence you are talking about. If you mean science or the stuff you learn in school I have no idea if it makes you happier or sad.

If by intelligence you mean Enlightment and knowing one self. I think people who are enlightened are a lot happier then people who are not.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Very interesting study Kallend. Now I finally understand why I'm a miserable bastard :P I must be smarter then Einstein!! :)

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

No, what I find most often is that conformists tend to be less happy than non-conformists (within reason....I like that all of my coworkers conform to the standard of using a toilet.) I know plenty of unhappy people on both sides of the intelligence fence.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

No, what I find most often is that conformists tend to be less happy than non-conformists (within reason....I like that all of my coworkers conform to the standard of using a toilet.) I know plenty of unhappy people on both sides of the intelligence fence.

Notice how alot of the "non-conformists" tend to look alike just like the "conformists". True non-conformists are an extremely rare breed and you usually find them in mental wards. Its just part of human nature to belong to a group. Fight it all you like you will always be part of a group. As for the intelligence vs happiness debate. It really depends on what ranges of "mental prowess" we are refering to. If we are speaking simply of intelligence (the ability to regurgitate facts memorized from books), the relevance of being intelligent may be a little trivial. If, we are speaking wisdom (a person with the ability to fully consider situations or concepts without simply applying rules from books) then you would have to take into consideration what type of enviroment they have been exposed to. All in all. Good luck determining any one independant cause of happiness/depression.

Yes, kallend, I was going to point to that very study. In fact, that study won an Ignobel Prize Ignobel Prize in 2000. (Is Kruger one of your buddies? He is from Illinois, according the the Annals of Improbable Research.)

Personally, I see every day how lowered intelligence leads to heightened self-esteem. Then again, I'm just a lowly guy, anyways...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'd say it's a relatively strong correlation. Intelligent people tend to think about alot and often overanalyze every single thing.

Very true, however over-analyzing is also a choice. I was a sad miserable wretch for years until I consciously chose to give it up.

Now I'm a very happy person. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Very interesting study Kallend. Now I finally understand why I'm a miserable bastard :P I must be smarter then Einstein!! :)

Yeah, I can't remember ever being happy.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

you might want to reevaluate your definition of the word intelligent.

why is that?

Because even the "experts" disagree on what intelligence really is. Think of the terms "book smart" and "street smart".

I mean, according to some people, anyone who is an astrophysiscist and spends 80hrs+/week for most of us adult life studying math forumulas is...well...stupid. And, those who relax and have fun their entire life, are smart...regardless of whether or not they score below a 70 on the IQ test.

The experts even argue about whether or not the IQ test even tests what it is trying to test "read:book smarts"...let alone if it corrolates to what is, really, smartness.

Not from here. IL is a big state with a lot of schools.

My experience - yes, I'd say that I've noticed this, very often the poorest students are the least likely to realize they have problems. The best ones are also the ones most likely to attend office hours and tutorial sessions and fret because they haven't mastered the minutiae of the subject.

you might want to reevaluate your definition of the word intelligent.

why is that?

Because even the "experts" disagree on what intelligence really is.

and because

the ability to regurgitate facts memorized from books

does not qualify as a definition of 'intelligent'

I’ll admit, I didn’t read the entire study so please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m the type of person that always read the Cliff Notes for book reports on ones that didn’t REALLY interest me. Plus, my A.D.D kicks in and really messes me up. :S I read the abstract as well as the first 4 paragraphs which state three points summed up in the following sentence.

“The skills that engender competence in a particular domain are often the very same skills necessary to evaluate competence in that domain–one's own or anyone else's.”

What I took from that is that intelligence and the ability to realize one’s level of intelligence is relative and is a product of one’s environment. Therefore, one may be satisfied with his/her level of performance because he/she doesn’t know any better. You don’t realize you’re screwed up if everybody around you is also screwed up. Or, you don’t realize you’re gifted if everybody around you is also and that’s all you’ve ever known.

I’m not seeing what that has to do with happiness. The question in the forum pertained to intelligence or the lack thereof as it relates to true happiness. I’m probably looking way too far into this.

I agree with Darius11 on this one. I think people, no matter how bright they are or think they are, look for happiness in the wrong place. That doctorate degree on the wall, million dollars you just won in the lottery, or brand new twin otter, will only bring happiness in the short term.

I’ll admit, I didn’t read the entire study so please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m the type of person that always read the Cliff Notes for book reports on ones that didn’t REALLY interest me. Plus, my A.D.D kicks in and really messes me up. :S I read the abstract as well as the first 4 paragraphs which state three points summed up in the following sentence.

“The skills that engender competence in a particular domain are often the very same skills necessary to evaluate competence in that domain–one's own or anyone else's.”

What I took from that is that intelligence and the ability to realize one’s level of intelligence is relative and is a product of one’s environment. Therefore, one may be satisfied with his/her level of performance because he/she doesn’t know any better. You don’t realize you’re screwed up if everybody around you is also screwed up. Or, you don’t realize you’re gifted if everybody around you is also and that’s all you’ve ever known.

I’m not seeing what that has to do with happiness. The question in the forum pertained to intelligence or the lack thereof as it relates to true happiness. I’m probably looking way too far into this.

I agree with Darius11 on this one. I think people, no matter how bright they are or think they are, look for happiness in the wrong place. That doctorate degree on the wall, million dollars you just won in the lottery, or brand new twin otter, will only bring happiness in the short term.

Well, I fret because I'm really not very good at solving partial differential equations analytically (I tend to use a computer) ;) but people who don't know of the existence of such things wouldn't fret about them. So in this sense, ignorance is bliss.

Yes, but bliss is not the same thing as happiness....I guess it's all in how you look at it. A dumb person who floats around all day in the field because he doesn't know how to do anything and doesn't know any better might be happy. However, I know people who are happiest doing differential equations and programmers who are happiest fixing code working at their computers in a closet.