rehmwa

ATA refuses rig

Some times if you get a TSA person who stands too close to the magnitometer themselves it will alarm as you pass through. I believe there are marking tape on each side of the magnitometer. I always check to see if they are standing behind their line as I pass through. Neet little trick huh? If there's no mark on the ground for them to stand behind then I guess your just gonna have to go with the flow and get secondary screening.

That is great to know. I have found that when I travel alone, I get pulled out. But if I'm traveling with another person, I don't. Strange:S
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

That is great to know. I have found that when I travel alone, I get pulled out. But if I'm traveling with another person, I don't. Strange:S

Did you happen to hear any strange noise that resembled music as you passed through the magnetometers? Sounded something like Bom chicka wow wow? ;)

just flew into PHX (again) was given more grief because i decided i didnt need to take my shoes off (they've been thru hundreds of airport screens without issue) than for my rig...in fact when i was 'randomly pulled aside' they didnt even look at my rig or my laptop but instead did a complete overkill with the wand (which didnt beep once on me no matter how many times he waved it over me..) i think the screener was almost annoyed that his wand wasnt beeping ;):P

Some times if you get a TSA person who stands too close to the magnitometer themselves it will alarm as you pass through. I believe there are marking tape on each side of the magnitometer. I always check to see if they are standing behind their line as I pass through. Neet little trick huh? If there's no mark on the ground for them to stand behind then I guess your just gonna have to go with the flow and get secondary screening.

oh it didnt beep at all (i always try to dress to pass) but i think my breif conversation about when he recommended i remove my shoes and i told him they would be fine keyed his compadre to pick me for the wand waving act....

no biggy i was more amused than anything...no one even blinked at the rig..

Just wondering. If they stand to close and this sets off the machine, why doesn't the thing go nuts when I walk through with all this metal in my leg?

Cuz it's IN your leg and not just underneath your clothes. Why do you think they make you walk with your hands just away from your side? Your hand could shield small amounts of metal from the magnetometer. I walked through once with my hand over my belt buckle and they made me go back and do it again.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Chris,
Think I should interject here with some of my stories about being pulled to the side for explosives checks...:)

Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Why do you think they make you walk with your hands just away from your side?

I've never received that request in all the metal detectors I've gone through in my life.

Cuz you were already doing it?

Possibly.....these massive pythons don't let me keep my arms to close to my sides.

:P

Chris,
Think I should interject here with some of my stories about being pulled to the side for explosives checks...:)

Rainbo

True story about a guy I work with...this was pre 9/11.

He's going through security and has a digital camera and a bunch of wires and stuff in his carry on. They ask him to step behind the screen, show him the image and ask him what's in his bag.

His response, "Wow, that really looks like a bomb!!"

He spent several hours in a small room and missed his flight.

:D

Definitely got worse for us after 911. But happened a lot before especially on our international flights. But when you spend all your non-skydiving time blowing up airports that happens.B|

Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Cypres is not an IED. It's a completely sealed accelerator. It was deemed completely safe by the FAA/DOT after extensive testing at NAFEC in Atlantic City. The amount of activation material in the Cypres cutter is way below the amount that would fit the definition of Hazmat under IATA regulations. The amount of Lithium in the Cypres batteries is also under the weight limit that would be considered hazardous under IATA regulations also. It really is no big deal taking a rig through. I agree with you in regards to the screeners. I recently traveled through Ontario, CA with my Cypres equipped rig. They knew the procedures exactly . The TSA superviser on duty just wiped the rig down with that special paper and put it in the machine. The rig passed and he gave me back my rig in my gearbag and told me to have a nice flight. The new Cypres card helps because it matches the pictures in your manual. I also carry all the TSA documentation with me along with the letter I sent the FSD for Palm Springs, CA when I had some problems two years ago. Haven't had any problems since. Actually if you just remain calm, ask for an EDS wipedown (which the rig will pass) you'll be on your way to your flight with your rig etc.

Hope this helps everyone.

Chris

The procedures are explained in AVO6100-47. Unfortunately this is Sensite Security Information. However, the USPA website gives a good, accurate *summary of the AVO.

:):):):)You have good knowledge of this suject. Your help is greatly needed for info.:):):)
The information for procedures on rigs should be offered in public form, not sensitive.
How is it possible to "comply" without knowing "what" TSA wants from us?
USPA info is what we follow and is what TSA disregards at will.
>>>>Original Start of Tread:
A friend was to fly to Perris area yesterday and ATA refused to let her take on her rig. They also refused to let her check it. She had all the documents with her (airline policies, TSA note, cypress info, etc).

I have no further details. She will notify USPA.

FYI

Slow is NOT fast
Fast is Fast
I appreciate any help on this as, I am forced to drive rather than fly in fear of damage to my "life saving device". THe hazard of missing flights that may cost hundreds for a new ticket (discount flights=miss it & your done).

>THe hazard of missing flights that may cost hundreds for a new ticket (discount flights=miss it & your done).

I miss flights all the time, I'm yet to have an airline not put me in an empty seat and get me to my desination for free yet. Might not be on time.. but its free.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Where do you get your tickets through and what Airlines? I haven't made best choices and stopped commercial flying
I had a flight out of LAX and missing my flight.
It cost me more to get home(red eye too) than the round trip ticket I 1st boughtB|.
They said it was policy that you couldn't miss your flight(=full charge one way)

It wasn't like that. It was "Oh, your ticket doesn't allow for anything like that".
plain and simple.
Now with rigs in question and tsa folk in confusion there, I have a "NEW FEAR OF FLYING".
brand new "everything" and someone who can't wait to damage it and bump me off a flight.[:/]

You know, security is tight and Homeland Security is watching everyone...

No we're not.....I mean...them....ummm....yeah they aren't here....watching or anything. :D

B|OK, as a Homeland Security Guy, I just want to say thanks to the TSA folks for putting up with the shit and doing the best you can. I deal with explosives on a regular basis. Every ticket I get have "A's" all across the bottom, cuz I'm a "special" customer. The cute doggies at the airport love to sit next to me. The TSA guys go through all my stuff, swab it, everything. They see my ID's and creds, and know who I am and who I work for at that point. I don't get pissed, I play my part, because they're doing what they get paid to do. We all do our best, some days suck, some don't. I'm sure if you get treated with a little less respect than you feel is appropriate, it isn't personal. It sucks, yeah, but sometimes things are just the way they are. It's still better than getting slashed through the neck with a box cutter by the guy next to ya.

Skydiving isn't scary;...but clowns...CLOWNS are scary!