tsalnukt

precision service bulletin

I recently came across a precision reserve that needed and had received servcice bulletin blah blah blah. upon inspection I noticed that where there are supposed to be additional 42 stitich, center-start-stop, bartacks installed there were zig-zags. Some were in the right place and some ran up above the whole entire seem up into the "cell" part. Some of the stitches look like they had bad tension on the bottom and just melted all the threads together into a pile. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered zig-zags instead of bartacks in regards to this service bulletin and what would you do about the not so good work????/ thanks

With the issues you found, it is pretty easy to say to send it to the factory and see what they can do with redoing it all...

The bit about the zig zags is interesting. The bulletin can be read two ways. It mentions a bartacker, and a stitch pattern. Then it says, "Alternatively..." and says that an equivalent stitch pattern is acceptable, as long as it has a center stop and start.

One interpretation is that it always must be bartacked, but one can have certain variations in the machine and stitch pattern used.

The other interpretation is that the "alternatively" relates even to the bartacker, that one can use a zig zag stitch -- as long as one sets things up to mimic a bartack with center start & stop to avoid ravelling. For many things that's an acceptable replacement for a true bartack.

I'll let the experts decide on that though. In any case, what you found goes well beyond that discussion. (Like zig zags going above the seam stitching into the rest of the cell!)

That was the S.B.. However, I believe the factory changes the attachment tapes to the stronger herringbone weave type if you send it in (much better idea). I would send it in. It is somebody's last bullet...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

When i called Precision, George said that if the SB was done wrong there is no fixing it. Once you have punched holes in the material it weakens it. If you punch more holes it weakens the material even more. He said that he was sorry but he canopy was no good. I'll post some pics later today and maybe some other riggers could give me an opinion as to whether they would keep it in service or not

George said that if the SB was done wrong there is no fixing it. Once you have punched holes in the material it weakens it. If you punch more holes it weakens the material even more. He said that he was sorry but the canopy was no good. I'll post some pics later today and maybe some other riggers could give me an opinion as to whether they would keep it in service or not

This comes across as though you're in search of someone to refute the recommendation that the canopy should be decommissioned?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Nope. I have already decided that I'm not going pack it. Just trying to see if other people have come across zig-zags instead of bartacks and what they did with the parachute.

IOW.......You are a rigger and you came across and parachute that required a SB and the work was done prior to you receiving saiid reserve. Upon inspection you notice that the work that was done, was not only done poorly, but is not in compliance with the service bulletin. What would you do????

The work was done poorly.
Fabric on lower skins and ribs was damaged.

While it might be possible to sew on dozens of patches, the cost of patching would exceed the cost of a new reserves and the number of patches would exceed the maximum allowed (3 patches per panel).

Sorry dude, but that canopy is now a car cover.

Sounds like sloppy workmanship ruined that reserve.
Dang!
While it is possible to replicate bar-tacks - using a 301 zig-zag machine - that process requires a rigger who has many years of experience on that particular machine AND who understands canopy stitch patterns.
Sadly, the rigger - who TRIED to repair that canopy - did not understand canopy stitch patterns.