bmcd308

Yet another white meat

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Bird flu may have decimated poultry businesses across Asia, but rat dealers have never had it so good.

"I've got a constant stream of customers," Van Vath, a rat butcher in the western Cambodian town of Battambang, told Wednesday's edition of Cambodge Soir.

With customers shying away from chicken for fear of catching the deadly flu virus that has killed millions of birds and at least 20 people, she has been selling more than 400 pounds of rodent meat every morning -- twice her normal turnover.

In far-flung corners of the jungle-clad and impoverished Southeast Asian nation, rat -- fried, grilled or roasted with garlic and vegetables -- is a highly prized delicacy.

It is not the only ingredient to be found scuttling on the rural Cambodian menu.

Spiders, water beetles, crickets, snakes, frogs and ants are all choice treats, with local tradition saying they were first eaten by starving peasants during the Khmer Rouge (news - web sites) genocide in the 1970s.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Spiders, water beetles, crickets, snakes, frogs and ants are all choice treats, with local tradition saying they were first eaten by starving peasants during the Khmer Rouge (news - web sites) genocide in the 1970s.

Starving peasant? Ya don't say...well who the hell ELSE would eat that sh&t??? :D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

she has been selling more than 400 pounds of rodent meat every morning

MMMMMMM.........400 lbs of rodent meat......MMMmmmm.

That's a lot damn rats! :D

Could be rabbit - rabbits are rodents.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

rabbits are rodents.

Rats are from the group Order Rodentia. Rabbits belong to the Order Lagomorpha. But I've never understood why Americans think of them as pets. In most parts of the world, they are considered vermin. Tasty vermin, but still vermin :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I never have nor ever will keep a rabbit as a pet, unless I was fattinin' it up for a feast! :D I have bunnies in my year... but there too damn small to deal with. Mebby in a year or two.... dinner.;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Speaking of vermin, have you ever taken a GOOD look at a lobster?? I've seen his cousin scurry behind the sink once or twice and never had I thought to get butter & garlic and...and...

Thank goodness its too early for breakfast :ph34r:~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Rabbits only eat grass clover and other vegitation. They also are rather clean animals, I've had alot of them over the years.
Rats on the other hand are dirty, eat anything including each other and live anywhere they can. I have become an expert on rat elimination over the years. The best way is with cats. Thats where I'll stop because I could be arested for the crule things I've done to rats.

I don't eat anything with tentacles, anything to do with testicles or brains....and now I can just add everything from your post.

In fact if this keeps up I may go vegetiarian.

Vegetarians do taste better, from what I understand. Vegans can taste even better but you tend to have to wash them really well.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I called a nearby exotic meats seller and asked if they had any rat, or if they knew anyone who did. He said they have never had any request for it, so did not have any or know anyone who did. (I explained about the bird flu thing making some people in Asia turn to eating rats, and so I was trying to find some myself so my friend and I could give it a try.)

Ah, well.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Rabbits only eat grass clover and other vegitation. They also are rather clean animals, I've had alot of them over the years.
Rats on the other hand are dirty, eat anything including each other and live anywhere they can. I have become an expert on rat elimination over the years. The best way is with cats. Thats where I'll stop because I could be arested for the crule things I've done to rats.

I am a big believer in the goodness of eating an animal's dead flesh being related to what that animal ate while it was alive.

So vegetarian animals are pretty good. (But if people make them cannibals, icky things can happen. B|)

Lobster is a weird one. They're detritovores, and that means they eat whatever everyone else drops. Ewwww. I made the mistake of smelling a (cooked) lobster once and this theory was born in my mind a few days later. (They taste good, just don't smell them.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.