diablopilot

Alti2 N3 (Neptune) Review

I recently purchased an Alti2 N3 and would like to offer my opinion on the unit. I purchased it since I'm running a ProShop, and I wanted to be able to represent it to my customers in an informed maner. In addition I needed a temporary data logger replacement for my ProTrack which finally broke after 9500+ skydives and some hard use. BTW L&B replaced the unit for free one of the reasons I'll always be an L&B fan. :-) And I figured it was time to replace my Sunnto Vector, since the display was so scratched it was near unreadable.

So those that have read previous postings of mine will know I have never held a very favorable opinion of the Neptune Series of Altimeters offered by Alti2. I believe they were released to market far too early, and had serious design flaws, both in hardware and software. I felt it was poor service to sell a product and then expect the customer to play "catch up".

I unfortunately became a victim of that shortly after the purchase. Not 2 days and less than 20 jumps on the unit and if froze up. I was seriously bummed. I returned it and all inventory to Alti2. I didn't want to sell the product.

Alti2 listened to my problem, and while I wanted to simply return the product, they convinced me to try it again with the software update they provided. I must say I am still worried about another crash, but only time will tell if that's going to be a problem.

As for the unit, I am overwhelmed. The interface is phenomenal. Maybe it took all those different generations of software and the feedback from them, but the product impresses me. Simple to use, accurate, offering a huge amount of options, information, and flexibility to the user.

Well done Alti2! I'm happy to have my N3 in my gearbag along side my other electronics. Make it compatible with my Mac and I'll be really happy.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Make it compatible with my Mac and I'll be really happy.

It is. I've been using Paralog and the entire evolution of the Neptune line to include the N3A on my Mac no problemo.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

that works great until you need to update the firmware. ;) i have a bare install of windows xp installed with boot camp on my macbook to do that, but i keep paralog on the mac partition.

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I have a Viso2. I think it's good value for money. Even though it doesnt have computer connection and may take a while to learn the user interface, it's accurate and reliable and costs about 130-140 dollars less.

If you don't want to play around with the data on a computer, I think Viso does the job nicely. It does log the jumps. Handy when filling out the logbook after the day, but it's not really too great a logging device. It shows jumps, jump number, free fall time per jump and that's about it. But I use mine as an altimeter and as such have had no problems with it.

i love the not buying batteries bit. i only use boot camp vs. parallels because it is free. bad enough i had to scrounge up an xp2 disk. i do wish they would come up with a mac version of the software. as much as i hate anything to do with java, this might be a good use for it.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

...accurate...

I jump with a Pro-Track on my helmet and a Neptune on my wrist, for some reason they never seem to match data?

I bought the Neptune a few years back and have never updated anything...is it time ?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

After many years of using a dial altimeter I was convinced to try the N2.
One thing that I found funny was the protective casing screen fell out on jump one. I replaced it and it lasted about ten jumps. It is very flimsy and only held in place by a small amount of glue.
As far as the altimeter, it has worked well for the season, only having to replace the batteries once. I do enjoy having the jump log and specific information on each jump. Although I question the fallrate that I am told. The opening altitude is calculated in some fashion but based on where I deploy and where I am in saddle, very rarely is it accurate. I also find it sometimes hard to read if the sunlight hits it in a certain way.
I would recommend it to a experienced jumper but still try to steer new jumpers to the dial altimeter.