Shari

Tandem: Homophobic or just CHICKEN?

There could be other reasons they don't want to do it, like Vallerina said - personal space issues, control issues, trust issues...

personally there's no way in hell I'd have some guy strapped to my ass and jump out of an aeroplane - total trust in a complete stranger, and no control whatsoever - and serious invasion of personal space - aaggghhhhhh!
that obviously goes for a female TM too :P

I say chicken, for most of them.

How many of these guys would prohibit their girlfriends from doing a tandem because they do not want some dude riding her ass?

There are obviously some guys out there who have an honest problem with being in tight quarters with other guys. These are typically the ones who will give their male teammates a nice pat on the fanny for a job well done, or say, "let's fuck those guys" to spur on their teammates and friends.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Skydiving isn't for everybody.. I think that a lot of people will talk like they would do it.. but always find a reason to back out no matter how perfect it could be.

I arranged 4 different groups of my friends at different times to go jump and every time except one they all backed out.. and the one time that we did go, It was still only a third of the people that said tht they were going to do it.

What's cool though is that I still jump with two of them:)

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

Some times at DZs it is a requirement that first time jumpers do a Tandem. The number one reason for that is that it takes less time to train the person for a Tandem jump, then it does for an eight hour AFF level one jump. Why spend all that time training someone for a jump, when they don't even know if they will like skydiving or not. Do the Tandem first, then if they like it, spend the time and energy doing the AFF training. IMO, as an ex office manager of a DZ, if they aren't willing to do a Tandem first, then they aren't very interested in doing a skydive.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

OK, I guess that's the end of my "Hey, you're not homophobic, are you?" joke right before I tighten the laterals...;)

Seriously, this is probably either a) money, or b) being chicken. I've noticed how amazing it is that people can get rid of "personal space" issues when they're sitting two feet from a plexiglass door in a plane when they're not wearing a parachute, so that's actually pretty rare. With guys that are really acting wigged out about it, I make sure to get all macho and make sure they understand it's just a job, nothing personal...in extreme cases, I'll introduce them to my wife, which seems to help both men and women relax.

Either way, if they won't go tandem, let them know what their other options are... or find some friends with balls. ;) Nah, just kidding...and for the record, my first jump was a tandem, and I had a female TI! (Thanks Beth! )
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Yeah right, what ever you say. BTW, is your wife coming out with you next week? I was sorry I missed meeting her in Eloy.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hey Girl...

Actually Ellen @ Elsinore is a TI.... she primarily does video, but I've seen her hop in the tandem rigs on occasion - she is one bad ass canopy pilot!!! B| Plus just the coolest all around gal! :)
ciao for now, g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Well, tell the boys to come on down, cuz she is quite the little hottie - just have to watch out for her b/f Doug - he's a pretty big guy (also TI @ Elisnore).

Check out her staff pic from skydive Elisnore web site.

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Ok I don’t know if this will help because I am as un Homophobic as they get.
But when I did my first jump the last thing on my mind was if the guy that I am strapped to is gay.
Even if he was I wouldn’t care. As long as you don’t try to touch my ass were cool.

I also think if the first thing on your mind when your going for your FIRST SKYDIVE is that it’s gay, you might be gay (which is totally ok) just making a point.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

i ve got a few gay buddys and when they're around me in public and touch me so what ...oh my god he just bumped my elbow he must want to fuck me ...lol i mean come on guys who cares really do you freack out when your mom touches you or how about your dad maybee your grandma .oh my god that must mean my granny is lonely and wants to jump my bones....lol i mean come on ...... dont let sex rule your lives.. and face the facts guys most the gay men out there wont even think about you in that way ...were not pretty enought for them... unless of course your a metrosexuial if you are your very pretty and might want to run becouse gay guys want you ...so run run run away....

sounds kinda SILLY HUH .... personally if im about to die in an explosion and my only chance to survive is a gay man pulls mE FROM THE FIRE and has to carry me to safty ...you know what more power to him please ...fuck ill even give the brave mother fucker or should i say father fucker a hug.

remember before you had sex for the first time how much fun you had when you were little playing tag and all that silly stuff that didnt give you a care in the world ...get back to that guys its a beter way to live trust me.

just my thoughts if you care to agree cool if you disagree fine but hell i know what i am and nothing gonna change that not even the dreaded gay man coodies ...becouse really thats what homophobs are afraaid of :P:P:P

i used to do alot of things ....skydiving wont be one of them :)

B|Hey Country!!!!!!! Wow!!!! I'm gonna copy this thread for my phobic friends!!! I think it may convince them that, that's really not what they are afraid of.....they just be SKEEEERED!!!

well thanks and um well you see um well TAG YOUR IT! and by saying tag that in no way shape of from does that means that i expext oral pleasure from you if you chose to play with me ....

but if your offering dont think im goon a turn you down ...:P

i used to do alot of things ....skydiving wont be one of them :)

These are probably the same guys that if offered the "female" option would have some objection to a "woman" taking them on a tandem.

Yep. Had a guy at work that likes the talk big, so I offered to take him out and do a tandem. He didn't want to be strapped to a guy so I said, "hey no problem, you can do AFF".

He came back he wanted to go out solo, didn't want 2 guys holding onto him so I kicked back, "Hey no problem, we can do SL."

Then it was about the money :ph34r: