Gerardo69

Javelin x Vector 3. Which one is more safety ?

The one with the pilot chute launching the highest ie The VECTOR III. In case of an AAD firing, that feature will more likely make you avoid a PC hesitation when the time is precious.

Well, I don't think that the launch of the reserve PC from V3 is the highest. Not even close.It's way below Advance, Vortex 2, Mirage, Voodoo and Atom Legend with "Quick 3.1" PC. This is the data from my personal experience.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Vector has one of the the strongest reserve PC springs (45 lbs). Javelin has one of the weakest (19 lbs).

Strongest PC spring doesn't mean highest PC launch does it? Javelin's PC has to clear only 2 flaps when V3's has to clear 4.

I think that they are both good rigs. My personal preference from those 2 is Javelin. They are a few minor details which are big enough for me to put V3 on the bottom of my "wish list"
If somebody want to hear my reasons for that,he can send me a PM and I'll give him an answer ,but I'm not going to talk about them here.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Vector has one of the the strongest reserve PC springs (45 lbs). Javelin has one of the weakest (19 lbs).

the document listed here begs to differ somewhat...

http://riggers.pia.com/post?id=3512199&trail=

usual disclaimers .... ;)

I know. Also, please notice that the file you referenced is 7 years old. Vector3 uses a reserve spring with up to 45lbs strength (40 to 45 lbs, it is).

Well, I don't think that the launch of the reserve PC from V3 is the highest. Not even close.It's way below Advance, Vortex 2, Mirage, Voodoo and Atom Legend with "Quick 3.1" PC. This is the data from my personal experience.

How come if Vectror3 and Mirage are using the SAME spring for their reserve PC (same manufacturer, spring strength, model number)...?

I know. Also, please notice that the file you referenced is 7 years old. Vector3 uses a reserve spring with up to 45lbs strength (40 to 45 lbs, it is).

check the date and post of the author..

"06/05/09 at 06:49 AM"

not arguing the point nor claiming any accuracy, just as a matter of discussion based upon things said here.

check the date and post of the author..

"06/05/09 at 06:49 AM"

not arguing the point nor claiming any accuracy, just as a matter of discussion based upon things said here.

In that post is stated that he got answer from one manufacturer, which by quick googling seems to be representing riggin innovations.

So, doesnt mean other manufacturers are up to date. Acctually I heard a rigger had tested the reserve pilot chute on a new mirage recently and it was over 20kg(45lbs), cant remember the exact number.

let me be clear, I'm not an FAA certificated Rigger, but I do have an Airman Certificate (as an A&P).
I should also point out that these things we're talking about are for reference or talking points only, they are not the official requirements or specifications of any rig/harness/canopy manufacturer (etc..) and actual work performed should always be performed and reference to/by the appropriate mfg's approved documents, by or under the supervision of an appropriately certificated individual(s).

and another point to your comment, to be fair, it should also be noted that the document in question lists the forces as a "Minimum". So if a rigger tests a pilot chute at X lbs and is well above the appropriately specified minimums or tolerances, its all good.

How come if Vectror3 and Mirage are using the SAME spring for their reserve PC (same manufacturer, spring strength, model number)...?

I don't know. All I know is that when I have the rig on the table and when I pull the ripcord,Mirage's PC jump higher than V3"s. The only reason I can think of is the pin cover flap.

Blue skies

I don't know. All I know is that when I have the rig on the table and when I pull the ripcord,Mirage's PC jump higher than V3"s. The only reason I can think of is the pin cover flap.

Well, it should be the opposite. The V3's reserve pin cover flap design does not take force to open. Check this WHOLE thread:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=542700;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

Also, most rigs can be 'totaled' like this one, so I don't know if Mirage and Vector3 that you observed were both packed 'ideally':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYIUjKGxagI