Blahr

Crash test results

All,

I'm looking for a source where I might compare safety
ratings of different vehicles.

My son is looking for his first car. As a 16 year old male he of course wants something fast and cool.
Well frankly, I see no difference between allowing that and letting a 20 jump wonder buy a Katana or some other high performance canopy.

One thing I dont want to do is say "Cuz I said so." when he demands to know why he cant buy some hot rod so I'm looking for some hard data that will show
not only how safe a vehicle is in a collision but also
how likely one is to be in a collision in the first place if driven by someone with little or no experience.
I need comparisons between many options including the fast cool cars. :-)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Chris

That's the one.

Natinal Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

You can check these out as well.

http://www.chop.edu/carseat

http://www.kidsandcars.org/

http://www.students.gov/

http://www.ciionline.org/fiwoco/

http://www.prevent.org

http://www.nas.edu/trb/

http://www.hwysafety.org

Another good path to take is have him talk to a state trooper about some of the "interesting" days he's had. But the boy's a teeneager, so he's invincible and knows everything. Good luck.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Hi Chris,

Your son may wat something way fast and cool... BUT... I'd bet the insurance companies are going to have something to say about a 16 year old and a fast car!!!!

Fast is out! So he's going to have to go for cool. Of course cool, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. What about a beefed up 4x4? Say a basic jeep or landrover defender with raised suspension, all the posey off-road goodies?

Despite crumple zones, airbags, etc... crash survivability really comes down to the height and weight of the vehicle - a high / heavy vehicle (say a range rover / chevy suburban) ALWAYS comes out ahead of a low / light vehicle.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Nothings safer than a Z-71 with nice wheels, push guards, and a rear hitch at about the level of most car's radiators. B| Good luck paying for it, and insurace for him will bitchslap yuo no matter what.

[edit]
I like the idea of a Jeep. They're cool, they're strong, and they're not likely to be run over in an accident.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

a high / heavy vehicle (say a range rover / chevy suburban) ALWAYS comes out ahead of a low / light vehicle.

Only when it hits a low / light vehicle. They don't fare so well when involved in accidents with other high / heavy vehicles.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

a high / heavy vehicle (say a range rover / chevy suburban) ALWAYS comes out ahead of a low / light vehicle.

Only when it hits a low / light vehicle. They don't fare so well when involved in accidents with other high / heavy vehicles.

Some of them also have a nasty habit of flipping over..
witty subliminal message
1*

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Honda -- Safe, easy to drive, cool, extremely reliable, front wheel drive, and easy for your son to tinker with (without being unfixable) if he has any mechanical aptitude, easy to get parts for. Any used Civic or Accord will serve him.
B|

NHTSA and Insurance crash test figures are fine, but you need to keep in mind that they provide no information about whether or not people will survive a crash, only a probability. Sudden deceleration is more often the problem. An offset frontal collision at 45MPH can look great on paper, but the forces involved in the sudden stop and their affect on the human body are more than a crash test unfortunately.

And, yes, saying "Cuz I said so" is good enough once you've made the decision. Does your son want a car or not? Since when do you need to substantiate your decisions on major issues like this? Are you his dad or not? (just trying to give you a tough cheer lead here! ;))

Edit to add: When I got my first car at 16, I had wondrous delusions of a Toyota Supra, Alfa Romeo, maybe a Saab 900 Turbo. What I got instead: 1981 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi MCA-Jet 1.3L Four-banger, with a 4-speed and AM radio, I guessed 0-60MPH in about 11 seconds). Most 16-year-olds don't get cars, so me and my car were quite cool.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

And, yes, saying "Cuz I said so" is good enough once you've made the decision.

Absolutely. I have no problem using that method when necessary. I just find that life is easier for all concerned if I actually have him on my side so I usually try that approach first. If there is no joy, then the big foot comes down.

My first car was a 72 Chevelle SS. I would recommend a mid to late 80's or early 90's caprice or caprice wagon. Get something with a lot of metal. Also the fuel costs will keep him from traveling too far from home with it.

Big Ed

In reply to the honda's
they are cool reliable and FAST!!!
my old 93 Accord has a 130 speedo and will probably do it..... However I have only hit 120 there was some left....
And for a 4x4 they are cool but I have had many a friends that rolled them, when I was in high school. if he is looking for fast he will drive fast and loose it in a corner. Based on 9-10 kids i knew in hs.
consider this: tank..... oh wait it has to be street legal.... shit how about a pinto.... it's cool back seat folds down....lol.... what more do you need in HS...
oh yea a beer tap in the dash....

Used Volvo 96' and newer are safe and run forever.
Ealier is ok too, just want one in good shape. Not expensive and child will live longer.
THat is what I'm doing for my 16 yr old daughter (17 in May)

Well, why don't you make a deal with him?

If he can afford to buy it, pay for gas and insurance, as well as storage of the beast on his property, let him gt whatever he wants. Chances are he cannot, so that takes it out of his hands.

Of course, you can have input on anything that affects you. Sure I was bitter when the 1971 Corvette was sold a day after I got my license because of the insurance. Today I count my blessings with that move.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Just get a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton pickup, put a Ranch Hand front end replacement and a rear bumper on it. He should be fine unless he tries to drive through a train.;)

Or unless a smallish Honda hits him from the side. I drove by a wreck on my way to work Fri morning. Big truck, tiny honda.

The Honda tore up the side of that truck and a good portion of the passenger side of the cab. The passenger compartment on the Honda looked untouched.B| And the truck was laying on its side.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™