CHRCNF

How bad of an idea is this...

...to take your rig home unpacked at the end of the day.

...and then to take it outside to pack it (in the shade, of course) the next day.

I'm too lazy to pack, and too cheap to pay a packer ; )

BUT... Smelling my rig in my car got me to thinking of all the things that could go wrong. Mainly just snagging the parachute on something and tearing it.

What are your thoughts?

CHRCNF

probably not a good idea if you have lots of snag hazards or used oil and batteries in the trunk... but if its a clean trunk or back seat... its more than ok. if your really worried about this, grab a gear bag, and put the canopy in the bag, that will protect it from snags, and/or catching the reserve handle on somthing in the car. if it is wet, dont leave it in your car for long, get it and air dry it quickly, in fact try not to ever leave it in your car, the heat, UV, moisture and even theft are all bad for your rig. :) and last but not leaast, dont put it in the back seat of your convertible! lol

"outside to pack it"

since we never really Know what's under the blades of grass, when packing outdoors,, try to use a packing mat AND a drag mat for your container ....whenever you're outside...:|

any chance that you can pack it indoors???

a clean carpet should be ok...stretch it out between rooms if necessary...

if you're going to be stuffing it into any sort of bag, as you leave the DZ,,, straighten it out first, clear the pilot chute and bridle, and daisy chain the lines, so everything remains in order..
Once you have the time during the week to get the rig ready for your next jump,,,
If you are so inclined,, pack it and then unpack it and then pack it !!! again... ;) good practice...

jmy

Some DZs pack outside all the time, but i dont think its a good idea.
If you have wind it will be harder to pack it. Even if i had packed ~500 times when i first tried to pack outdoors it was still a challenge.

And dont worry about the grass, grass is normally green.
It comes in yellow and brown also, but try to stay away from that ;)

I trunk pack at the end of each day's jumping. I was taught this by an oldtimer. He said that if he got in a car accident and died, it would just kill him that he wasted a packjob.:|:ph34r:

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

"outside to pack it"

since we never really Know what's under the blades of grass, when packing outdoors,, try to use a packing mat AND a drag mat for your container ....whenever you're outside...:|

any chance that you can pack it indoors???

Wow, skydivers are spoiled these days aren't they? [:/]

Packing outside is fine. Packing in the shade is fine. Taking it home unpacked at the end of the jumping day is fine.

Go to your local walmart and for $6 buy yourself one of those plastic storage totes. Throw all of your skydiving gear in there. When you head to the DZ next time, you wont have to remember to grab everything, it'll all be in your tote. After you're done jumping, you can put your unpacked rig into the tote and it is shielded from all of the things that the posters above me have said, sans maybe the car smash.

I'm mainly concerned with packing outside, in the shade, on the green grass.

If the grass is damp or wet... remember you are putting moisture into the pack job and that is NOT a good thing.. you can get mildew smelly gear that way

I trunk pack at the end of each day's jumping. I was taught this by an oldtimer. He said that if he got in a car accident and died, it would just kill him that he wasted a packjob.:|:ph34r:

YAY never waste a packjob :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

As long as your car is clean, I can't see why not. I transfer my gear unpacked in a car all the time.

Please re-read your original post talking about a trunk smell and asking if this was a good idea.

Did you really want advice or to debate the matter? If you're set on transferring your rig in your trunk unprotected, then go for it... It's not our rig to jump or replace. Heck for that matter, if you have one, leave the AAD turned on when you throw it in the trunk.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

As long as your car is clean, I can't see why not. I transfer my gear unpacked in a car all the time.

Please re-read your original post talking about a trunk smell and asking if this was a good idea.

Did you really want advice or to debate the matter? If you're set on transferring your rig in your trunk unprotected, then go for it... It's not our rig to jump or replace. Heck for that matter, if you have one, leave the AAD turned on when you throw it in the trunk.

please re-read who wrote what. :)

PS. I leave the AAD on when i put my stuff in the trunk. Obviously the trunk is clean of sharp objects and any kind of chemicals.

Some of these replies make me smile.

Indoor packing was virtually unheard of in the 80's and earlier. Paid packers were unheard of exept for a couple of DZ hobo's who were trying to earn a few buck for the next jump. They had very few takers. We WANTED to pack our own mains.

Drag mats existed BECAUSE we packed out side and wanted to protect our H/C's. Packing in the grass is FINE. Packing outside is FINE. Even in the sun. Now limiting sun exposure is necessary. So lay it down and pack it. Don't lay it down and take a break. If you do cover it up. I don't recommend throwing an unpacked canopy in the trunk. You can, but get an inexpensive duffel bag, or a more expensive 'gear' bag, and stuff the canopy and harness in there.

Taking it home and packing it when your not underpressure to get another load in is a good way to get better and faster at packing. It also gives you a chance to take a little longer to take a look at it to see if it needs any maintenance. Worn velcro, loose stitches, frayed, lines.

I'm lazy too and if I'm done jumping for the day I almost never pack at the DZ. And NOBODY is forcing you to pay a packer at the DZ. You CAN pack it yourself before you leave.;)

By the way a basic blue/orange/silver nylon tarp is about one of the WORST things you can pack on. As it wears little small "needles" of nylon poke up and it's like making on a bed of thorns. Nice grass is much better to pack on. Even well finished industrial shop floor concrete is better. (Study done by a European military group many years ago.)

So, pack it yourself, if you have a newer car without junk in the trunk (rear junk, not booty) through it in. Better to stuff it in a duffle bag of some sort. A plastic tote is good to. Pack it home, outside if you want. There aren't too many houses that don't have room to pro pack inside. Just need a hallway. Remember you can always go through a doorway.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

please re-read who wrote what. :)

PS. I leave the AAD on when i put my stuff in the trunk. Obviously the trunk is clean of sharp objects and any kind of chemicals.

You really do not want to leave the AAD on when in the trunk. The pressure build up can and will cause it to fire. Plus you are draining your batteries on the drive home when it has to adjust for the altitude changes.

NEVER leave the DropZone with your rig unpacked.

I think taking it home unpacked is a great idea if it means that everything gets a closer inspection during a leisurely pack job. Of course that can get done at the DZ, but I think many are more likely to take their time when they pack at home.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am