FTP_07

Traveling with Gear

I always travel with my rig as a carry on luggage. As Indyz said, put just the rig in a suitable case alone. Mine is a TRAVELPRO case equiped with wheels and retractable handle. At the check I ask the supervisor and show him/her my TSA paper on parachute and AAD, the Vigil X-ray card and my skydiver membership card while mentioning there is a parachute into the bag.They generally used the X-ray machine plus a sniffer sample to be analyzed. Be ready to answer questions about what they see on the X-ray machine screen like, the AAD and its 2 cables, the pilot chute spring, the reserve connector links...which is another good reason to at least once be present when your rigger is packing your reserve.
If asked why I take it as a carry on I answer this a a life sustaining device which has to be treated with a lot of care and the fact I don't want to get the item exposed to rain, heat, extreme cold or being tossed on carriage and thrown in the airplane cargo room.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Well it depends on the color of the alert (green, orange or red). Some years ago, in the checked luggage mode. a girl from Canada going South got her rig cut and damaged beyond all possibility of repair by seemingly ignorant people. She thought I guess there were no problem by not mentioning.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

It was the fact that he just started handling it instead of asking around. It wasn't in the way, that's why I had it where I had it, was to ensure it was out of the way. I'm over it now but it was just such a shock.

I dont get why it was such a shock. :o

I might be mildly annoyed if someone was touching my rig for no apparent reason, but "shocked" would be reserved for someone who walked over and started handling my wife's tits :)
followed closely by an ass kicking of course ;)
__

My mighty steed

Do what I do when I travel with my base rig... put it on, strap it up, and put on your helmet. It saves room for your clothes, and looks cool. If people ask if it's a parachute, say no, it's your dirty laundry.

Wear a gas mask in the plane if you want to be super cool.

I'm actually at the airport now waiting for a plane... being super cool. B|