vitriol

Cookie Gas 2 or G2, any one tried one?

I have a cookie Gas that I love, except for a few things.

My main complaints with the GAS are that the visor can sometimes fog or get oily (probably the anti-fog treatment) in the plane, and that people don't hear you or see your lips.

I'd also like the ability to keep my helmet from before entering the plane to exit in comfort.

The new G2 seems to be fixing all the things I don't like about the GAS.

Has any one tried one? What's your impression?

As my head somehow doesn't seem to fit bonehead composite helmets and many other helmets I'd be really interested in this one!

Thanks

I checked them both out at Chicks Rock this weekend. The designs are actually quite different. The G2 has a wider field of vision and is a bit of a wider design generally (I much preferred that). And of course, the G2 has a visor that opens.

I was pretty impressed with the G2 - I liked the shape of the helmet and the locking mechanism on the visor seems to be pretty bulletproof yet still easy to use, and I look forward to actually putting it on my (freakishly-large) head to check the fit once the XL and larger sizes come out at the end of the year (right now, they're only available in sizes L and smaller).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have a GAS which I use for swooping mostly without a visor. Love it. Recently put the visor on for 8 way and after a few jumps of getting used to it I am sold on full face helmets though I think I will still take the visor off for swooping.

I got to try on a G2 the other day and it was so much lighter and felt smaller. The one I tried on was in matt instead of shiney and looked awesome. Having ridden motorcycles for 30 odd years the only thing I find odd about the G2 is that it takes two hands to open but the security of their system is excellent. I predict many teams are going to get this helmet. VFR/RW its all the same.

I am not sure if it is a simple task to take the visor on and off. If so then I will be getting one to replace my GAS but if not then I will stick to my GAS as I like the wind for swooping.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

This feature really excites me: "The ability to wear certain glasses beneath the visor"

I've been hunting for a full-face that lets me wear my glasses, to no avail. Maybe this will be the one.

I have a few other Cookie helmets and they're fantastic.

I find odd about the G2 is that it takes two hands to open

Talking to the Cookie rep, he said someone on Arizona Arsenal had taken the locking mechanism out of one of the sides for one handed operation. He has been jumping it for over a year and no issues so far.

I am not sure if it is a simple task to take the visor on and off.

There are 3 phillips head screws on each side of the visor/locking plate that have to be removed to change the visor, he said it takes only a few minutes. Also the visors are going to be available with factory tinting and replacement visors will only cost $28.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Tried the G2 on this past weekend. Took a lot of self-control not to buy one... You can see your mouth very easily, and the field of vision is great. With the helmet on, you can see just as if it weren't on. No obstruction. And that visor feels very solid.
I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

Screw selfcontrol, I'm gettin one. Anyone wants to buy GAS XXL. I had only 8 jumps with it and maybe you get lucky and i forget to take the ProTrac out :)

If you read all the posts above (including mine) you'd know that you'll need a little bit of self-control since the largest G2 you can buy right now is a Large. You'll need to wait till December (planned availability date) to get an XL or XXL ...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Screw selfcontrol, I'm gettin one. Anyone wants to buy GAS XXL. I had only 8 jumps with it and maybe you get lucky and i forget to take the ProTrac out :)

If you read all the posts above (including mine) you'd know that you'll need a little bit of self-control since the largest G2 you can buy right now is a Large. You'll need to wait till December (planned availability date) to get an XL or XXL ...

Not true. You have to wait for XL or XXL visor. The shells are all done.

I've jumped the G2 about 35 times.

The visor is much thicker than any other helmet I've seen. Serious protection from knees and feet. And the closing/locking mechanism is strong.

Best unobstructed visibility of anything I've tried. And I've tried them all.

I love the fact that your mouth is not covered while the helmet is on. I can actually talk to people without being muffled and this includes under canopy. I had to scream at someone to get their attention on final. (They had no idea I was near them.)

The visor flips all the way back and out of the way while under canopy. I really hate having anything in front of my eyes while flying my canopy.

And the chin strap not only secures the helmet but also tightens the neck cowl in one motion.

This is an awesome helmet.

Cookie has really stepped up with this one.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Not true. You have to wait for XL or XXL visor. The shells are all done.

I'm just repeating what I was told by the Cookie Rep (Nick) at Chicks Rock ... either way, I'd like a visor. :P