adolfocamerano

fx94 slider size

I get 75 cm. x 60 cm

That's correct.
I do add about 4-5 cm to the chord if building a new one though.

Cheers,
MEL

Why do you not add the same 5 cm to the span as well?

The span, being greater than the chord, will have more shrink due to the sewing, won't it?

So shouldn't it have some extra so that it too ends up at the correct measurement?

So 75 x65 to make it a little more "square" then?

It's not really about making it square. It is more like flatting out the chordwise curvature when the slider is at the slider stops just a little.
Basically, it gets the nose opening out of the "direct" airstream just a bit...

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Why do you not add the same 5 cm to the span as well?

I want to keep the span the same as I do not want the canopy to be more open spanwise.

If you increase the span, on most canopies the effect is faster openings. It would be just like leaving the slider down an inch or so from the slider stops, thus giving the span of the canopy less curvature.

The span, being greater than the chord, will have more shrink due to the sewing, won't it?

So shouldn't it have some extra so that it too ends up at the correct measurement?

Sewing shrikage is the same per inch any way you go.

Just add 4-5 cm to the oringinal raw cut and the finished product will be bigger in the same direction and amount that you made the raw cut larger.

Cheers,
MEL

If you increase the span, on most canopies the effect is faster openings.

Really? Or just when going beyond the optimum span, and not doing something like holding slider area constant (narrowing it front to back at the same time).

Which is sort of saying that it is true only when it is true.

FX's seem to have had their slider sized changed at least twice. For example, for the FX88 Kirk Smith noted in '08 that the factory slider is 58cm by 73 cm, or about 23" by 29".

I saw an earlier FX88 slider that was 21.5" by 26.5" . And an even earlier FX88 slider that was 20.5" by 25.5". (These latter two pairs of dimensions are along the edges, a logical way to measure, even if I've seen measurements along the center to be the official one. Add an inch or so for centerline measurements.)

I can't be sure whether the sliders were original, but it suggests there were changes in the early years of the FX.

A wider slider does help with stowing the slider, but presumably the increases in width were not making the canopy open harder and harder.

Maybe now the limit has been reached, and it makes sense to add more to the chord or dome it if trying to slow the opening even more.

Really? Or just when going beyond the optimum span, and not doing something like holding slider area constant (narrowing it front to back at the same time).

Remember, as the span increases, you are getting closer to a open canopy.

There are other factors in the equation, but they are differ canopy to canopy.

FX's seem to have had their slider sized changed at least twice. For example, for the FX88 Kirk Smith noted in '08 that the factory slider is 58cm by 73 cm, or about 23" by 29".

I saw an earlier FX88 slider that was 21.5" by 26.5" . And an even earlier FX88 slider that was 20.5" by 25.5". (These latter two pairs of dimensions are along the edges, a logical way to measure, even if I've seen measurements along the center to be the official one. Add an inch or so for centerline measurements.)

I can't be sure whether the sliders were original, but it suggests there were changes in the early years of the FX.

There were a couple of changes in years past, but most notable was the Precision built sliders. They used a different maufacturering metod and the sizes were not standard.
The difference in the method was that they folded the slider fabric over to make the slider lock channels instead of using 2' Tape.

This made a big difference in the dimensions.

MEL