Raefordite

While at the IRS office today....

Well I had the most memorable visit to the IRS office today I hav ever had.

A simple problem for my needs. The bank credited a payment for the wrong quarter. So I received a notice from the IRS that I was past due for the 3rd quarter 2003 and had an overpayment for the 4th quarter 2003 (which was the exact amount they said was overdue for 3rd quarter). All it took was getting the clerk to enter the amount to the correct quarter and all was cured. That was the boring part.

The strange part was sitting for 20 minutes listening to this other woman.

Lady X was white haired, small build, decently dressed but not expensive, well groomed, about 70 - 80 years of age with a cane. She was there because she could not understand why lawyers were sending her letters about her past due taxes and how did they know she owed over $8000 in taxes? This little sweetie went on to show the clerk a bag full of medications to prove she had been sick lately (larger than a grocery plastic bag), a bank statement showing that over a year ago, her $32,000 of savings had been completely withdrawn (which she explained was from a neighbor that helped her out from time to time over the last 4 years).

Turns out Lady X has been on disability for some time now, has no children, spouse or family to assist her. Her neighbor had been picking up her medications, doing a few odd jobs for her, including doing her taxes for her for the last 4 years. Lady X had become very ill about 6 months ago and had a long recovery. Once recovered, she discovered her neighbor had unexpectedly moved away. Bank account empty. That's when she started picking up her own mail and reading all the past due notices for everything. Apparently she had given this neighbor access to her bank account.

By the time Lady X was done with her story and the poor clerk explaining that this was a matter for the police (which Lady X had already done), there was little the clerk had to offer other than setting up a payment plan for her back taxes for the last 4 years.

Once the clerk determined Lady X's expenses were greater than her disability check per month, she left Lady X at the window to get her manager. After all, how could she get any payment from a woman in the red every month? She excused herself to get the manager.

That is when Lady X lost it. She thought the clerk was getting the manager to have her arrested since she could not pay. I'm not talking just tears, crying and a raised old lady's voice in a very small public office. I mean Lady X started to open those medication bottles and swallowing pills as fast as she could! At the same time talking about finding her pistol if she ever got home, etc, etc.

There were about 10 of us in this little room. The guy sitting next to me and I had been discreetly talking about Lady X's dilemma as we heard it delivered. We both moved. Mind you, there is a floor to chest height wall and glass from there to the ceiling between the staff and us public tax payers. A combination lock door was the only way in the back and the clerk was not even there to see this going on.

I got to the pills and this poor guy gingerly tried to hold the cane down before it became a threat to the general public (i.e. me!). The staff finally heard the now very noisy encounter in the small room. They reacted.

The manager (I assume) was out the security door and assisting Lady X. With some conversation convinced her the IRS was not going to have her arrested and no due taxes were worth suicide. They calmed Lady X down enough to get her to walk to the back offices. Even with one security door and an inside office door, we could still hear her voice and tears.

I tip my hat and commend the staff at that IRS office. Job stress? Yes, they had their share of it today. And they did a great job diffusing Lady X and taking care of her. The paramedics were pulling in as I was leaving to check her out. I'm sure the city social worker got an emergency call at about 2pm today to help Lady X out.

So next time you walk into an IRS office because those S.O.B.'s messed something up again, take a deep breath and be happy you don't have their job. I'd rather clean toilets for a living.

Lady X

I'm glad to hear that your problem was settled so easily.

There are a lot of "Lady X's" out there... My mom was hounded by the IRS for years, for something my Dad did while they were married. The IRS doesn't care who they get their money from; if they can't get it from the person who filled out the return, they'll go for the innocent spouse who co-signed.

If you readers out there have a spouse who is doing anything questionable on your joint tax return, don't sign it. Fill out your own return in your name only. Don't be "responsible" for someone else's mistakes.

That sucks. As my Mom gets older this kind of thing gets on my mind more and more often. Early spring is usually when the gypsies hit the 'burbs around here praying on the elderly.

And just to prove that I really can't stop being political.

Once the clerk determined Lady X's expenses were greater than her disability check per month,

That's ok though, at least while she's in the red due to the cost of her medications, she doesn't have to worry about any homos getting married.

Lady X

I'm glad to hear that your problem was settled so easily.

reply]

ok for one I can assure you that Kate is not Lady X...cause she is FAR from old....hasnt used a cane in a few months now;);) And deffinatly dosent owe $8000 in back taxes....if she did she would Raise me rent to $2000 a month :D

And the part that she didnt tell you is that later in this evening..she recieved a visit from Yours truely which interupted her and TonyT from their painting project.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Kate,

I can SOOOoooo see you taking the pills from LadyX and braving that cane. You're a good person. Some would have just sat in horror or at best call Security.

Glad you got your problem solved too. Can you come help me with MY taxes? I'll buy you a beer. Smiles and blues skies~~April
(say hi to the Cheese!)

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

A-P-R-I-L!! Hey girl! Glad to hear from you. Cheese is watching Carolina Tar Heels play basketball this evening.

The part I left out of the story was the small waiting room was very warm. I had already taken my jacket off. But I was still wearing my blue scrubs from the hospital with "North Carolina Department of Corrections" patches on both shoulders. Poor Lady X probably thought I was trying to take her somewhere she did not want to go.

Hmmm...I know about POTATO..but we've always called him 'the big Cheese', or 'Oh, the Power of Cheese' casually. Tony's fun!

Kate, WHY-OH-WHY did you wear THAT to the IRS office? I would have started crying MYSELF. I hope LadyX is okay though I don't see how she kept herself from fainting.

Katie, thanks for the kind words about my site. I've got a picture of Kate and Kip there (its kinda small) but I love that pic. Kate is calm and Kip isn't messing around ;).

I miss you guys and trust me...you'll be seeing me again . OH..have you seen Ken Aites (sp) around? Tell him I said HEYA! I'll give out the rest of the hellos I have when I return.
Blue skies~~April

I'm glad to hear that at least one human being is working for the IRS.

My own experience with them has permanently molded my view in a different direction. There was nothing mistaken about it. They were dead wrong, they were malicious, they ignored their own procedures. Fortunately for me, I know how to research public records. I beat them at their own game and explained what I could do in the way of legal action. At that point, Satan's emissary tried to be buddy buddy with me on the phone, because he knew his ass was grass. I told him he was just lucky I didn't know what he looked like and I hung up on him. Next time, I'll be ready. They're bastards. We all make moral choices in this life and people who work for the IRS have made theirs. End of sermon.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

http://www.aprilslens.com/Photo_Gallery.html
Got to admit, this is my favorite page on her web site.
We have several of her prints in our school. Of course my favorite is hanging in our home.

A wild guess...is this it?? This is one of my favorites of you and your family. King is just a ham! I may rework this one day to take some of that light off your side, but a lot of people have commented on the 'halo'. I hope you don't mind me sharing and if that's not the one, I want to know what IS!~~April

A wild guess...is this it?? This is one of my favorites of you and your family. King is just a ham! I may rework this one day to take some of that light off your side, but a lot of people have commented on the 'halo'. I hope you don't mind me sharing and if that's not the one, I want to know what IS!~~April

Well glad to see I'm not that hard to figure out! You got it girl. We get more comments on it.
Thanks for your talent