93zx11

Three ring deformation?

So, I got a new base rig the other day, put it all together, and noticed the three ring system is a little off. I was going to post this over at basejumper... but I knew the answer to the question would be "jump it! and take video". So I thought I'd ask my skydiving buddies instead.

Anyway, as you can see in the picture, the first ring on the riser does not sit right. It is about 4-5 centimeters above where it should rest, pushing out (when weight is put on the rig) on the second ring. Is this just faulty rigging, or is it ok? I have never seen something like that with all the rigs I own... so I don't know whether I should be worried or not. If it were a skydiving rig I would jump it no problem, but this is a little different.

thanks in advance!

I would take that to an experienced rigger and get a professional opinion before jumping it (again?).

It looks to me as if the second ring will not be loaded properly potentially putting more force on the loop than it is designed for.

If someone showed up to my dz with a rig like that I would not let them use it. With BASE the onis is purely on you...

Be careful!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

It looks to me as if the second ring will not be loaded properly potentially putting more force on the loop than it is designed for.

If someone showed up to my dz with a rig like that I would not let them use it. With BASE the onis is purely on you...

Be careful!!

That's exactly what I was thinking... I haven't jumped it yet, and am glad I caught it.

I am hoping that the loading of it pushing out on the ring is the same as if it were sitting on the riser. But I am no rigger, so I don't know.

Any other opinions?

The distance between the middle and the small ring seems to be a little bit to short (maybe one centimeter, not several). This will cause a slightly higher load on the white loop. A higher force will be required to pull the cut away handle (you don't want to do that anyway on a basejump). Of course in the worst case, a loop loaded too high could break.

The middle ring doesn't have to touch the webbing. The rings must have metal to metal contact, in the ideal case the bottommost end of the small ring is touching the headmost end of the middle ring, to get the best leverage.

To test the 3-ring-system, you would need some tools including a 600 lbs scale. Maybe you can find a rigger that has this equipment.
As it looks like the large 3-ring-system, that allows higher tolerances than the small one, it's maybe not too bad.

Is it a second hand rig that has been jumped and worked like this before? Then check the loop for damages and the yellow cable for kinks.
If it's a new rig, contact the manufacturer. He knows how his rigs have to look like.

As a work around you could use a softlink to connect the riser to the large ring on the harness.

www.wingsuit.de

I was going to post this over at BASEjumper... but I knew the answer to the question would be "jump it! and take video". So I thought I'd ask my skydiving buddies instead.

Hey. I know, why don't you stick all three rings up your ass?

You have no problem acting like a shithead when you post here, but as soon as you want a serious answer, you abandon your BASE pals because you know that all you're going to get is a smart-ass answer, the same kind of reponse you make to posts here.

Seriously - fuck off.

Is it a second hand rig that has been jumped and worked like this before? Then check the loop for damages and the yellow cable for kinks.
If it's a new rig, contact the manufacturer. He knows how his rigs have to look like.

It's actually used... the guy used it once and broke his leg, so I got a bangin' deal on it. But that doesn't help this situation, being that it obviously worked once, but that doesn't mean it won't wear out prematurely like you said.

I guess I will call the manufacturer and get their opinion. Thanks!

You have no problem acting like a shithead when you post here, but as soon as you want a serious answer, you abandon your BASE pals because you know that all you're going to get is a smart-ass answer, the same kind of reponse you make to posts here.

Seriously - fuck off.

I do not know what you are referring to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was going to post this over at BASEjumper... but I knew the answer to the question would be "jump it! and take video". So I thought I'd ask my skydiving buddies instead.

Seriously - fuck off.

+1

Even if the picture is a bit blurred, I can see that each ring is resting metal on metal which is exactly the way it should be. That allows the middle and the small rings to play the role of a lever while the loop which passes into the small ring only plays the role of a pulley.
That way, the force reduction is : for big rings: 10 x 10 x 2 = 200 ; for small rings: 8 x 8 x 2 = 128

I agree that a bit more of tension between the harness and the riser would show better the 3 rings set up.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Even if the picture is a bit blurred, I can see that each ring is resting metal on metal which is exactly the way it should be. That allows the middle and the small rings to play the role of a lever while the loop which passes into the small ring only plays the role of a pulley.
That way, the force reduction is : for big rings: 10 x 10 x 2 = 200 ; for small rings: 8 x 8 x 2 = 128

I agree that a bit more of tension between the harness and the riser would show better the 3 rings set up.

A lot more is important than metal to metal contact. The middle ring will not have the correct lever effect if it is not in the correct position.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am