jerm

PocketPC or Palm?

K, so my Clie died and the only sony replacements Bestbuy has are much lower class of machines or the mucho expensive flip-out thing...

So, rigth in the similar price range are the Palm Tungsten T2 and the HP Ipaq h1945

I'm used to PalmOS, but i'm intrigued by the more PC compatible stuff that the ipaq can do, though i have basically no experience actuallly using one. Palmos is quick & easy and i'm afraid it'll miss that with the pocketPC.

anyone have any input on this, particularly from the pocketpc/ipaq angle?

thanks!

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

I have a Pocket PC, it's a Toshiba, when I was looking up different options, I found that while the pocket pc's have a slight edge in processing speed and memory, there are far more applications for the Palm OS. I like my PPC, but if you're familiar with Palm, I'd say stick with it.

I've owned an IPAQ 3650 Pocket Pc, with all the trimmings, for 3 years or so. A blast to program, it's extremely handicapped as a business productivity tool. And Pocket Pc power management is awful -- be prepared to reload your os once the battery inexplicably dies. I recommend either waiting for a superior product to emerge or acquiring the cheapest synchronous organizer available. My $0.02 worth.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

be prepared to reload your os once the battery inexplicably dies.

on my ipaq the os is stored in ROM so even if the battery dies it is still there, just non of my programs or data.

i recomend the pocket-pc... very much like the friendly windows enviroment so not much to relarn, works for me for all i want to do (adresses, phone numbers a few short videos, and some pictures and my check book in excel) i have an ipaq 3635 picked t up for 100 on half.com........

Work bought me a tungsten T2. It's pretty awesome. I even have a few skydiving videos on it. :)
Never used a pocket PC, but I think of them more like macs compared to the PCs of the PDA world, palms. I think you'll find a lot more software is available for the palm. Just take a look at http://www.palmgear.com.

Only problem I have with the T2 is the sound it makes. It emits a high pitched squeel when it's turned on. I just happened to email tech support yesterday so there should be an email waiting for me at work from them. But other than that, I love it.

The plastic cover does kinda suck. A flip up would be more convenient, but it's easy to take off and put on so I don't mind too much.

Dave

I've had a Pocket PC (running on a Samsung SPH-i700) for a little under a year now. Prior to that, I had a Palm IIIxe and an Original PalmPilot.

The only issue I have with the Pocket PC is the typical windows environment. The OS, and applications grab increasing amounts of memory over time (weeks) and it impedes performance, requiring a reset of the device. It's no big deal, but it's lame that the "CTRL-ALT-DELETE" BS follows to such a simple device.

I've never encountered problems like that with a Palm OS.

Otherwise, no big deal, you can still use Graffiti along with other input options on a Pocket PC.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either option.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I gotta say, I love my palm pilot/cell phone!!

It's a couple years old, so it's still kinda huge, but I would be lost without it. When I just had a palm pilot, i rarely took it anywhere, just too my cell phone. Now with them together...... i have it all the time!
It's a brick, but I call it my low impact workout

I gotta say, I love my palm pilot/cell phone!!

It's a couple years old, so it's still kinda huge, but I would be lost without it. When I just had a palm pilot, i rarely took it anywhere, just too my cell phone. Now with them together...... i have it all the time!
It's a brick, but I call it my low impact workout

Kyocera 6035? :)

I've had both, I like the Pocket PC better, or applications screen size.

Palm is cool cause you can sync it to your Yahoo account...VERY convenient if you break it on the road and need your schedule ASAP!

You can do that with Pocket PC and Hotmail, but they make you pay like $10 a month.

I have a Palm now becuase my Pocket PC (ipac) shut down a couple times running simple programs and froze.

Oh and the pocket pc tends to turn on by itself alot, the palm is pretty solid, wish i could get the best of both worlds.

Palm can do everything the pocket pc does, but the applications cost you more.

Pocket PC comes with MP3 player built in, word, excel, voice recoreder, that cool sign on screen with a rundown of your day.

You can get all these on the Palm, but you'll pay for each upgrade. The MP3 player is $100 alone!!!

Ipaq comes with a more portable charger, Palm comes with the cradle.

I hope this sketchy crazy, non-structured post helps!!!