kelel01

Married people: Are you happy?

I was not happy when I was married. Maybe because I never felt, was never allowed to feel, or ever made to feel at home in my own house! It wasn't "my" house, I always felt like a stranger, or an outsider in what was supposed to be my house. Never got a say so about how the house would be arranged, what was or would be in it. There was no room anywhere in the house that was mine, or even shared. Nothing anywhere reflected my personality, me in any way. It was her house, it was all about her, I was an outsider/stranger there, and was miserable! Small wonder I'm so bitter now, as that was just the tip of the iceberg!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

I'm doing what I can to bring the average up. Since I walked out of my good-money management gig and became a full time photo/video/skydive bum, I felt obliged to pick up all the slack that I could. I get up with the Mrs., make lunches for her and the girls, make lattes for both of us, breakfast for the mutants, put her stuff in her car. Ogle her in that sexxxxy business suit, and send her off. Then I bring the kids to school, mail DVD's try to figure out HTML, work on gear and project ideas, pick the mutants up, make dinner, eat dinner, drink a gallon of wine an do it again.

She takes care of the girls all weekend if the weather is good, and I skydive from load one to sunset Saturday and Sunday after church.

She supported me in walking out on a job that gave us a very good lifestyle, and it's all been very much worth it.

I gotta start thawing some chicken. I'm thinking chicken ravioli with pollo asada red sauce. Or maybe an recipe that flyangel2 gave me....

Kelly!

I believe I got the point ! Did you get mine? Marriage, like any other type of relationship, is a state of mind, a perception made in a person's mind about what to expect from the other.

Things go wrong when that perception is based on the belief that marriage will bring happines to your life. Think about it for a minute: Most people fall "in-love" because they feel good when they are with the "loved one". When the relationship matures and expectations are no longer been met (to keep making me feel good), the relationship goes through a rocky period or worst.

Now, to your point. If a person can't be happy in the absence of external stimuli ( "a loved one") how can they expect to be happy in a marriage?

Yup, marriage are hard ! Hell, for one I am for abolishing the whole notion of marriage. Where is it written that you need to be married to be happy, or for that matter that married people make happy families?

Happines is a state of mind. A happy person, will have a happy marriage ! A miserable person will have a miserable marriage.

Heck, I believe marriage should be outlawed altogether. After all, it's a product that fails 60% of the time. Maybe is time for a class-action lawsuit against the institutions that promote marriage.

On the other hand, seems to be a pretty popular bad product, since most people get married, divorced and MARRIED AGAIN ! (Count me in that group). It's like having a malfunction, pulling the handles, get to the ground and pack the malfuntion all over again !

Just my $1.00 - 0.98
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

The wife and I have been married 24 years this June. It took us about ten years to learn how to get along with each other. We used to have some terrible battles when the fur really flew. We were both carrying around a lot of baggage from our dysfunctional childhoods and didn't know how to handle anger well or how to fight fair. I was really good at blaming everything on her. It took me quite a while to realize most of the problem was inside of me. It also took me a long time to figure out you can't change the other person, but you can change yourself. We came really close to divorce several times during those terrible years, and our kids suffered.

Today we get along great. We seldom fight, and she is by far my best friend. She wants me to be happy, and she knows skydiving is something I need to do, even though it is a drain on our finances. Our kids are another thing I wouldn't trade for anything. Yes, they are a cause for worry and are a real money pit, but I love them more than myself and I'd do anything for them or for my wife. Marriage isn't for everyone and it's far from perfect, but I wouldn't want to go back to being single. I've never been happier than I am right now. I hope the wife feels the same way. I need to start doing things to let her know how much I appreciate her. She probably thinks that I take her for granted much of the time....Steve1

My husband is the apple of my eye...and the closest friend I have...he makes me laugh and tells me striaght when we need to change together.

He has sacrificed ANYTHING to make our family strong, and I will always admire and love him above ALL others.

Sappy? Yeah, but I'm 'Still crazy after all these years...'

Almost 10 years now, and I love him as much as the day I said 'I do.'

I've got something in my eye...:(:):(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

1 man per 7 wives.....
Things are looking quite nice:)(actually couples are only as happy or sad as they choose to be)
When the theory of *CHANGE is present before Marriage, then it going to fail.
Always a theory of Change: Girl: "Well, I can Change him"...and he never changes.
Boy: "I think she's perfect and I hope she NEVER changes"...and she does change.
[:/]
I "THAT person isn't everything you want and YOU are not everything he was, then you really should talk it over (with council present if serious)

Outs... I didn't have time to read the whole thread.

A question for those 45% (or so) who answered that "they could not live without him/her".

Would you kill yourself then, or what? :S

I mean, I love my wife soooo much. In fact people still think that we have just met since, well I guess it just shows even quite far...:$

However, since I'm a serious Finn and I take everything so literary, I could not answer option "could not live without". I probably could - it would be very sad, but I probably could.

My uncle lost two (2) wives (he was a widower for eight years in between) he loved very much. He is still living - I really cannot say how happily, but he is...

So those of you who said "could not live without", please explain.

Outs... I didn't have time to read the whole thread.

A question for those 45% (or so) who answered that "they could not live without him/her".

Would you kill yourself then, or what? :S

I mean, I love my wife soooo much. In fact people still think that we have just met since, well I guess it just shows even quite far...:$

However, since I'm a serious Finn and I take everything so literary, I could not answer option "could not live without". I probably could - it would be very sad, but I probably could.

My uncle lost two (2) wives (he was a widower for eight years in between) he loved very much. He is still living - I really cannot say how happily, but he is...

So those of you who said "could not live without", please explain.

It's just an expression...I would be in terrible depression if something ever happened to Joe. -But I would carry on without him, hard as it would be. I don't see that I could ever marry anyone else though. [:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I know 2 people who are happily married.
Unfortunatly, they're not married to each other.

That's wrong. If you're in a bad situation you:

1 - Get out
2 - Get it together
3 - Start over

Any other order than that is wrong and weak. Cheating is weakness and a character flaw.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

They both do the same amount of work if he continues to help after he gets home. Some men don't. Some men come home from work and do nothing else.

At the risk of major flames, I'll explain that position.

When I was younger, I worked a full time job while going to college full time. Most weekends were spent in the computer room til 3am. My wife wasn't there. She wasn't carrying steel around a construction site to pay for that education either. I was in class 3 nights a week and studying another 3. She didn't help me study either. She got the benefit of all that earlier stuff.

She was living in the house that was paid for by all the work that happened before she was in the picture.

Kids aren't sick that often. Eventually they grow up. When my son was 5, he started going to kindergarten. The child care responsibilities during the day go away.

During our divorce hearing, she told the judge that she couldn't work because of her responsibilities. He asked her what she did all day. "I take the dog out in the boat or have lunch with friends."

If any adult is unhappy with a situation, they need to look at the entire picture. Life isn't going to be perfect.

I too, am in love with my wife more then I'd ever imagined I'd be. Not a day goes by that my love for craichead grows stronger. Sometimes I get really dorky and sing "you are the wind beneath my wings". I do it facetiously, but the thoughts and intents are true.

Craichead, I love you.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

At the persent time no. My wife is about to drive me off a cliff bitching about spending money and time skydiving, and only thinking about skydiving, and only having skydiving friends. She just doesn't understand how I feel about it.[:/] Ooh and I have tried to talk about it. There is no harder substance on earth than my wifes head.

Very Happy and double very happy coz my wife wanted to try skydiving...we're having a ball in marriage and learning to skydive. We've been married 5 years.