passaroc

Which rig to buy? Infinity X Icon X Javelin?

loving my micron.. now, if they only made it in adult-sizes.. :)

V3-Micron?

yah.. a guy made a funny comment on it couple days ago; he said something like "nice rig, do they carry adult-sizes too?" - because it IS friggin tiny!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

The vast majority of skydivers love whatever rig they own, I would bet mostly because that's what they're used to. ;-)

I'm no exception, I own three infinity rigs, one from 2000, one from 2005, and one from 2008. I can't speak directly to any other manufacturer, but VSE (the company that builds them) has always been very very easy to work with for me.

My pick is Javelin, Mirage, Vector (in that order).

I would stay away from Infinity at all cost. I have jumped one (only about 20 jumps) and can honestly say it was the crappiest rig I ever jumped. I would also stay away from Racer.

--------------------------------------------------------
I don't know from what era Infinity you jumped but if you jump a 20 year old rig what do you expect?

My pick is Javelin, Mirage, Vector (in that order).

I would stay away from Infinity at all cost. I have jumped one (only about 20 jumps) and can honestly say it was the crappiest rig I ever jumped. I would also stay away from Racer.

You seriously must have a bone to pick or are totally clueless saying the Infinity is crappy. LOL.

The Racer has it's issues and is not for everyone but I would really like to hear what it is about the Infinity that's "the crappiest".
Was is an old one? Was is made for you? How about a little background information if you're going to thrash something so harshly?
I've had 3 Infinities and many other rigs all brand new and made for me and the Infinity is definitively one of the best....by far.

Infinity all the way....

Top 10 reasons to Go For an Infinity!

1. The risers have integrated hard housings, (PD and Icarus put Infinity risers on many of their demo canopies)
2. Beautiful secondary riser covers, built into the reserve side flap
3. The main pin cover flap: Put two fingers under the flap, and you can lift up the rig just by the main pin cover flap. Super secure.
4. Bridle protection leading right up to the BOC
5. Floating laterals: they come off of the side hugging the rig around your back, leaving no blue sky in between you and and the rig when you're sit flying. Since they come off the sides, your corners aren't exposed and are truly protected.
6. If you order a mesh backpad, they'll put mesh on your leg pads too :-)
7. Kelly Farrington (the owner of the company) actually works in production daily, and personally inspects each and every Infinity.
8. If you get your Infinity and something doesn't fit right, they'll fix it for free.
9. I believe they're at a 7 week lead time right now.
10. Excellent customer service!

Bonus: You can get a basic Infinity for only $1799

I have a lot of older gear... and have jumped a lot of rigs...and I say....

GET THE INFINITY

***You have 1300 jumps and have jumped alot of diffeerent gear??? what do you do with them?

O.k you have been in the sport 38 years. so you have to upgrade so every now and then but how can you compare all the modern containers?

I had a second hand vector 3 that was previously owned by airspeed (at least 1000 jumps by them), the next owner did a few hundred and then I got it and put more than 2500 jumps on it. I then sold it (cheap) and it was still as functional as it was when it was new. That rig did well in excess of 4000 jumps. The only thing that was wrong with it was that it was faded on the cordura, otherwise great. I changed the origonal BOC when it had about 3000 jumps.

I recently bought 2 new microns and expect to have them for at least the next 6000 sport jumps I do. I would not recommend anythng else. Sturdy, safe, comfortable, looks good...

If there was ever an option to get it would be stainless steel hardware...
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Personally for me the Infinity has provided the best fit out of any of the rigs I have owned, which include Mirage, UPT, Javelin, and Infinity. The customer service with Infinity has been amazing and cant find anything to complain about. I cant say the same about the other companies. Feel free to check out my facebook Shane Shaffer to see some pictures of my rigs. Also, I feel as a canopy pilot I get better harness input with my infinitys. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have, and I will share my experiences and opinions.

Infinity all the way....

Top 10 reasons to Go For an Infinity!

1. The risers have integrated hard housings, (PD and Icarus put Infinity risers on many of their demo canopies)
2. Beautiful secondary riser covers, built into the reserve side flap
3. The main pin cover flap: Put two fingers under the flap, and you can lift up the rig just by the main pin cover flap. Super secure.
4. Bridle protection leading right up to the BOC
5. Floating laterals: they come off of the side hugging the rig around your back, leaving no blue sky in between you and and the rig when you're sit flying. Since they come off the sides, your corners aren't exposed and are truly protected.
6. If you order a mesh backpad, they'll put mesh on your leg pads too :-)
7. Kelly Farrington (the owner of the company) actually works in production daily, and personally inspects each and every Infinity.
8. If you get your Infinity and something doesn't fit right, they'll fix it for free.
9. I believe they're at a 7 week lead time right now.
10. Excellent customer service!

Bonus: You can get a basic Infinity for only $1799

AND they have a lovely rep there too! :P

but seriously, i think most of those points are valid for a UPT-one too.. :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I have about 15 different or so rigs in my loft... some date back to the 1950's

I tried various rigs before I bought any given one in the modren era.

I downsized.. a couple times and now have upsized.

and yes I have about 1300 LOGGED jumps since I started logging again...... of which none are tandems.

If you survive long enough.. you get old.... AND

I think a couple of the rigs might have been destroyed by thermite

and yes I have about 1300 LOGGED begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1300 LOGGED end_of_the_skype_highlighting jumps since I started logging again...... of which none are tandems.

My first 2 rigs held everything from my 200 maveric to a jvx 84. One was an old racer with no riser covers and one was a vector 3.

Some people feel the need to have a plethora of rigs, but this is not necessary.

I think a couple of the rigs might have been destroyed by thermite

:|

Is that some sort of peer pressure?

take it where it belongs.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I've got an infinity and love the design, I've had a mirage, dolphin, talon, and jumped vector 3's and javelins and wings. my favorite was the mirage and vector. my current rig is an infinity as stated and I bought it used, the MLW's could be a little longer for a perfect fit, but it's otherwise a great, bomb proof free fly rig. customer service is impeccable. I'm a rigger, the reserve design of the infinity is great, Rigging innovations make a really nice reserve system too (talons, voodoo) I don't like exposed reserve pilot chute caps (Javelins, wings, dolpins) becasue their a bitch to pack neatly and if the loop stretches the caps tend to pop up (causing a snag hazard), requiring a new loop and repack. anyways, opinions are like assholes, all rigs are TSO'd so they're all "safe". If you get a good buy, get it. look at things like "free fly friendliness" (if that's you thing), comfort, customer service, and of course, the most important thing, looks (camera awareness then safety :)

This is cracking me up. :D

I have to say, the moment I saw your original post I could see how the thread was going to pan out. You might as well have asked for a steer on Microsoft vs Apple.

The problem is, lots of people with an opinion haven't had comparable exposure to more than one rig. In most cases they'll have owned one type long-term, and at best put a couple of jumps on some of the others. And as ever nobody wants to be told that they made the 'wrong' choice, hence asking for recommendations is guaranteed to start a flame war.

I'd check out the Javelins, Infinitys and Icons at your local DZ, and with the owners' permissions try a few on - but be mindful of the fact that the harnesses might not be sized to fit you. And talk to an experienced rigger, since they at least will have worked with plenty of each type while doing inspections and repacks.