axelandr

Will a 190 Sabre 2/Saffire or Pilot 188 fit in an Icon I5?

So, my heading says pretty much everything. I'm looking into buying an Icon I5 but would like to know if I can fit a 190-canopy...

Will it be a problem putting for instance the Sabre 2 190 into this rig? I know it's not officially supported in the I5 as it only "supports" canopys in the 150-175 range, but I also know that most containers normally fits a size bigger and smaller without too big a problem.. could someone please confirm this? :)

Reason for wanting to do so is that I would like to keep the rig as long as possible, seeing I'm buying it new. If a rig might survive downsizing two times I would much rather buy it than getting one which would only let me downsize to 170..

If anyone from Aerodyne (I've noticed your quite active around here) would like to contribute, please do! I would very much appreciate the input..

The reserve would probably be the Aerodyne Smart 175.

Alex.

Will it be a problem putting for instance the Sabre 2 190 into this rig? I know it's not officially supported in the I5 as it only "supports" canopys in the 150-175 range, but I also know that most containers normally fits a size bigger and smaller without too big a problem.. could someone please confirm this?

Depends. Where do you live/jump? Weather (specifically humidity) matters. Will you be packing it? Do you enjoy stuffing 190 square feet of slippery shit into a space designed to hold 170 square feet of slippery shit? Are you okay with your rig looking like shit when it's packed? Are you okay with the very good possibility of permanently deforming the plastic stiffeners in the main flaps and/or stretching the main flaps?

Not to mention the fact that hating packing an overstuffed rig can cause some folks to decide that is a great reason to downsize. It isn't.

The reserve would probably be the Aerodyne Smart 175.

Are you confident you can land that on your next jump, at sunset, off the dz?

But really, none of that matters. It's super important to get the smallest rig possible, cuz there's no way you'll ever be able to sell a container sized for a 190 square foot main...:S

Disclaimer: Not an Aerodyne dealer or a rigger. But I like their products and jump them a lot.

For all of those canopies you're talking about, get an I6. You and your rigger will both appreciate it.

Also: unless you put them right next to each other, the two are very similar sizes to look at.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I asked aerodyne the same question a few years ago and this was their reply:

The largest canopy the I5 is built for is a 170. A 190 will be a very tight fit and could over time cause permanent damage to the plastic stiffeners in the main flaps. We do not recommend putting a 190 in the I5.
Thanks
Sandy Kimball
Aerodyne Research

thanks for all answers, I've done a bit of research now and decided to go for an XZP-main in any case, which actually solves my problem without any issues at all...

as for questioning my reasons for wanting an I5 over the I6 I think I explained them pretty well in my first post, so no need for the sarcasm.. I'm not getting the size smaller for cosmetic reasons.
When it comes to resale and whatnot, I reckon there would be no problem selling a container made for a 190-main.. However, that was half the reason for my original question - I couldn't care less if a 190-container is easy to sell, I would like to keep an expensive custom rig for as long as possible, and hopefully trough 2 complete downsizings.. I don't really get the need to question that in a sarcastic tone..

Alex.

decided to go for a ZPX-main

Nice. And now your expensive custom rig will last you that little bit longer, because you can downsize all the way down to a normal-ZP 150 in that container and still have it fit well.

Enjoy it... there is something completely unbeatable about that new rig smell 8)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?