jenomegle

Helmet- Help!

??? my 'Gunner' has more 'surface area' than my motorcycle helmet.

Holy shit, dude. :P Yes, we all know that your motorcycle and other low profile, open-face motorcycle helmets will work fine. I was replying to the OP asking about the huge full-face helmet from the link he provided.

I edited my post to be more specific.

I am at +7.75 diopters and the Adidas sunglasses I have are only supposed to go to 6.5 but SportRX made them for me and they have been fine for, hmm, 4.5 years now.

David

All I know. Is what they told me when I tried to order. No more than -6.5 correction is possible. You need to see perfectly to hit those lil buggers on the open range. So, I took a pass. You rolled the dice, & it "hmm" worked out for you? I'm happy for you, Dave.

A motorcycle helmet has too much surface area for skydiving. You may be able to see your handles while on the ground, but try doing that while flying belly at 120+ mph.

A larger surface area means more resistance to the "wind".

I have a few hunderd jumps with an open face Bell helmet, never had a problem seeing the handles...

There are a couple of reasons motorcycle helmets aren't the 'best' choice these days, but as far as an open faced model, surface area and restricted vision aren't it....and in fact a DOT Snell helmet IS safer regarding hard impacts than a flexible flyer beeper holder. ;)

Hi Ed(?),
I don't come to this forum to argue. It looks like some here, do. I'm here to learn from those w/much more experience than I. That being said. You may find this old article to be of interest regarding those "Flexible Flyers." For most of my years riding. My helmets had to be Snell certified. Not anymore. Like riding, & jumping out of planes, call it a personal choice.

A motorcycle helmet has too much surface area for skydiving. You may be able to see your handles while on the ground, but try doing that while flying belly at 120+ mph.

A larger surface area means more resistance to the "wind".

I have a few hunderd jumps with an open face Bell helmet, never had a problem seeing the handles...

There are a couple of reasons motorcycle helmets aren't the 'best' choice these days, but as far as an open faced model, surface area and restricted vision aren't it....and in fact a DOT Snell helmet IS safer regarding hard impacts than a flexible flyer beeper holder. ;)

Hi Ed(?),
I don't come to this forum to argue. It looks like some here, do. I'm here to learn from those w/much more experience than I. That being said. You may find this old article to be of interest regarding those "Flexible Flyers." For most of my years riding. My helmets had to be Snell certified. Not anymore. Like riding, & jumping out of planes, call it a personal choice.

I'm Jim...and don't call me an old article! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hello. Attempting to take your advice, I searched the gear section of this site for Protec helmets, and saw 0 listings. Are they just not listed here on this website? And as a follow up question, where do you veteran sky-people suggest I purchase my gear. I'm looking for a fair price, but I don't want to over-pay. I'm also not into doing a whole lot of comparison shopping.

http://www.chutingstar.com/newgear_en/helmets/open-face/pro-tec-classic-fullcut-helmet.html
:)

I'm also a beginner (14 jumps) and I'm looking at a Benny - something for a beginner that I'll be happy with for a while. My head is like EXACTLY 22" - right at their cut-off between small and medium. What would be best?

Would it come with different liners or pads? If so, I'd get the medium and make it snug.

Thanks!

A motorcycle helmet flat will not work in free fall.

Wrong, there have been thousands of jumps made with m/c helmets. This is a picture of the guys that built the first 10 way and they are all wearing a m/c helmet.

Sparky

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53825637@N06/5127729346/
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals