jenomegle

Helmet- Help!

Hi fellow jumpers!

I'm fairly new to the sport (36 jumps) and I'm thinking of buying a used helmet, but I could use some advice.

Most of the used helmets I find online are motorcycle helmets, so I was wondering if those are safe enough to use when jumping.

I saw this helmet, used: http://www.epinions.com/reviews/THH_T_888 Do you guys think something like that would be okay to jump with?

Again, thanks a lot for any input!

Jen

First of all, if you're looking for used helmets appropriate for skydiving, start in the right place... the classifieds here on this site are a good start: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/page.cgi?g=Head_Gear%2Findex.html;d=1

You can also read reviews here: http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Helmets__Head_Gear_and_Goggles/index.shtml

One thing you might consider, though, is starting with a Pro-Tec helmet. Even brand-new, they're inexpensive and provide great protection. That will give you time to take a look at a variety of helmets, try on helmets (either at gear stores, or by borrowing a fellow jumper's helmet) to figure out what style and features you really like and what works well for your head and face.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Search this forum for threads about helmets, and read them. Heed the advice.

The one you are looking at is going to severely restrict your range of eyesight. Can you see your emergency handles on your chest with that? I doubt it.

Don't put "looking cool" above "being safe", in your choice of equipment.

Hello. Attempting to take your advice, I searched the gear section of this site for Protec helmets, and saw 0 listings. Are they just not listed here on this website? And as a follow up question, where do you veteran sky-people suggest I purchase my gear. I'm looking for a fair price, but I don't want to over-pay. I'm also not into doing a whole lot of comparison shopping.

Hello. Attempting to take your advice, I searched the gear section of this site for Protec helmets, and saw 0 listings. Are they just not listed here on this website? And as a follow up question, where do you veteran sky-people suggest I purchase my gear. I'm looking for a fair price, but I don't want to over-pay. I'm also not into doing a whole lot of comparison shopping.

I guess they're not. But they're probably the helmets that you used as a student - the vast majority of dropzones use them.

http://www.pro-tec.net/classic-full-cut-skate-helmet.php

As for where to buy - if your local DZ has a gear store, start there. Supporting a local business as well as receiving the personal service that you'll get at your home DZ can add value beyond the cost of the item. For a helmet - maybe not that big a deal - but for a more complex and custom purchase like a jumpsuit or rig, you'll want top-notch service and help in making those decisions. Prices aren't going to vary a massive amount across dealers, anyway.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have a protec half shell that I have used for 1200 jumps, well mostly. I have other helmets specifically for camera flying, or a full face for RW. My protec is my FF/Swooping helmet.

My main consideration is that this helmet is designed for people who fall on their head on concrete on a daily basis. My most likely injury is going to be a traumatic head injury on landing given my chosen discipline.

Most helmets are great for stopping dings on the doors, or a small whack in the face in freefall, but don't fool yourself that any skydiving helmet is anything more than something to hold your brains in one place if shit really goes wrong.

Hell, if something really goes wrong, well, pray.

Protec search: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=protec+pro-tec&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=25

One gear source: http://www.paragear.com/default.asp

I should have mentioned this, but I wear glasses- that's the main reason why I wanted to get a full face helmet. I don't feel I'm advanced enough to pay full price for a helmet. Assuming I try on the helmet, and it doesn't restrict my view of my emergency handles and peripherals, should I still not get one of the used motorcycle helmets?

A motorcycle helmet is not going to work skydiving. They are just too bulky. My guess is if you are on your belly in a M/C helmet you won't even be able to pick your head up enough to look out at the horizon due to the interference with the top of your rig. If it's real protection you are looking for go with the Protec or Benny. You can wear googles over your glasses for now until you decide which full face helmet to buy later on down the road.

I should have mentioned this, but I wear glasses- that's the main reason why I wanted to get a full face helmet. I don't feel I'm advanced enough to pay full price for a helmet. Assuming I try on the helmet, and it doesn't restrict my view of my emergency handles and peripherals, should I still not get one of the used motorcycle helmets?

Hi,
A coupe of things on this. A motorcycle helmet flat will not work in free fall. They're too big, & will catch serious air on the underside. Further, the face shields aren't designed to stay locked w/air forcing them open from inside. I've been riding MCs for almost thirty years, now. As someone else here already said. Don't fool yourself into thinking a more expensive helmet will save you if you face-plant @80MPH. Motorcycle helmets actually need to be more than twice as thick as they are to adequately protect you in severe impacts. It's not how thick/strong the shell is. It's how effectively the padding will decelerate your brain w/o transferring too much energy in the process. A shell that's too hard will actually impede this. It's these factors that make the difference between having a disabling TBI or not.

Protecs don't fit my shape head very well. I bought a Benny, & love it. It fits my oval-shaped head perfectly. There's a lot of padding. Plus, I don't have to worry about dinging it up. It's not painted. If you must have some bling. There are deals to be had on factory seconds. You'll find many of them on Ebay. Chuting Star also has used helmets available. Either way, you can score a $200 helmet for about a hundred. Good Luck.

I wear glasses to. Don't let this drive your helmet choice totally. There are some options for you besides the full-face helmet, in eye wear.

I have a set of wrap-around sunglasses/goggles that are made by Adidas, that have a prescription insert on the back. These come with a head band if you want to use it and also a foam piece that goes around the lenses completely and keeps air out.

I wear them on my motorcycle and skydiving. I change out the dark lenses for a clearer pair for skydiving so others can see my eyes.

I also have a pair of motorcycle goggles that are prescription only that I have used also.

My Adidas sunglasses do not need the head strap in skydiving. They stay on well with my Bonehead composites open face helmet just using the temple pieces.

I got both of these from a company called Sportrx in San Francisco via mail order. www.sportrx.com You can look through their website or go to the very bottom of the web page and browse by type of sport that you want eye wear for.

One piece of advice. I wear my Adidas sunglasses skydiving primarily with a light grey tinted lens. I bought a full-face helmet at the dropzone's shop and only tried them with the Adidas sunglasses. I should have tried the helmet with my regular glasses also. Had I done that I would have found out that my regular glasses will not allow the face shield to close all the way down without crushing them into my face which is uncomfortable. I have had occasion to want to wear my regular glasses with it. Big mistake on my part.

Do not limit yourself on sportrx.com to just skydiving recommendations. The model i have "Adidas Elevation Climacool ID # AD18 " is on the cruiser motorcycle page. They work just fine. SportRx will work with you on prescriptions to get you into eye wear even if the web page says it will not work with your prescription. This is a good option for folks like us that wear glasses.

I hope this helps. It should give you another option to look into besides the geeky over glasses goggles, which I have and pretty much will not wear any more. They never worked well enough anyways.

David

There's another company who offers prescription polycarbonate sunglasses. They offer various styles. I was going to get a pair from them for shooting sporting clays. The wrap around designed eye wear can only correct up to about 6.5 diopters, though. My eyes are worse than that. I'm glad I wear contacts every time I gear up. The thought of cramming $450 worth of glasses under goggles & a helmet isn't pleasant. Good Luck.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/wileyx-rx-sunglasses.html

A motorcycle helmet like the one you posted has too much surface area for skydiving. You may be able to see your handles while on the ground, but try doing that while flying belly at 120+ mph.

A larger surface area means more resistance to the "wind".

After reading through your other posts, you should take davelepka 's advice.

Found here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3952961;#3952961

Edit: Added "like the one you posted"

A motorcycle helmet has too much surface area for skydiving. You may be able to see your handles while on the ground, but try doing that while flying belly at 120+ mph.

A larger surface area means more resistance to the "wind".

??? my 'Gunner' has more 'surface area' than my motorcycle helmet.

I have a few hunderd jumps with an open face Bell helmet, never had a problem seeing the handles...

There are a couple of reasons motorcycle helmets aren't the 'best' choice these days, but as far as an open faced model, surface area and restricted vision aren't it....and in fact a DOT Snell helmet IS safer regarding hard impacts than a flexible flyer beeper holder. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The price (almost) made me cry, but such is life!

Wait until you start to spend that on jump tickets...for ONE DAY! ;)

:D:D:D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message