MuffDiver

Which Digital Camera to buy?

I'm buying a new digital camera, and I want to get it before I leave on a trip in a few weeks and after reviewing the photo thread in here I thought I would see what some of you guys are using(or recommend). I'm looking for something decent that I won't outgrow anytime soon, I'm not too afraid of getting something a little more complex and studying to figure it out as I go(I like to think of myself as a fast learner). As far as price goes I'm only looking to spend between $700-$1000 CAD, thats about $500-$750 US. Any info is greatly appreciated.

http://www.dpreview.com/ is a very good web site for review, and helping you find what camera might work best for you. Others are www.epinions.com and www.cnet.com.

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago, and I went with the sony DSC-V1, had everything I wanted, and found it at an ok price.

And what do you mean outgrown a camera?

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

I have a Canon Power Shot A70. 3.2 megapixile, with power zoom. I've been very satisifed with it. it takes great pictures, and has all kind of features that I haven't figured out how to use yet, but it seems as if it will do everything a camera could possible do.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

stay away from the Kodak DX4530.

I bought it. Its a 5.0 mpx camera - which is great... except its the only camera I know that makes the pictures blurry with lack of light.... which is not fixable in photoshop.

Jennifer

PS. I would have bought and olympus.
Arianna Frances

Sony DSC-V1 - it's been a great camera so far.
Olympus puts out some really good stuff too as mentioned before.
Something to consider is that you can buy at most stores and have a few weeks to try it and if you don't like it, take it back.
Read as many reviews as you can and if you can, go to every store that has them and try them out in your hands 1st.
Happy shopping! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"