scruffy

Balloon jump with an Altitrack.

So I just got my Altitrack in today. I got this altimeter because I figured it could suit any needs I had for quite some time, so please don't think I have any intention of doing a balloon jump in anything resembling the near future.

This might be silly but I was showing this thing out to a friend and he asked about seeing as the altimeter doesn't show altitude changes till it goes into "airplane" mode...what if you want to jump out of something with a much slower rate of ascent...like a balloon?

Has anyone ever done a balloon jump with an alitrack? I'm sure this is nonsense but L&B shut down their forum apparently so I figured I'd ask here.
Peace, love and hoppiness

I've done quite a few Hop n Pops with my Altitrack and if it doesn't get enough freefall time it actually doesn't record the jump :(

Getting back to your original question....haven't done a balloon jump with it yet.....I'll let you know in 2 weeks though :P Although I'm sure you're question will be answered by then

It has however worked flawlessly doing a heli jump!

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Naw, with that you need it to go into "balloon mode" ;)

(The ascent rate should be fine... you'll know around 500' when it "clicks in". If you're not comfortable the first time, borrow an analog chest mount as well.)

Like the Altitrack! :)Love the balloon jumps!! B|

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I've done quite a few Hop n Pops with my Altitrack and if it doesn't get enough freefall time it actually doesn't record the jump :(

Did you set it to STUdent mode? I have a little older version of the software in mine, but the only time it has failed to record the freefall (with correct settings) is when the pilot decided to do some zero-g flying.

As for balloon jumps, all of my balloon flights have been quite fast up to 100m and the Altitrack has started just fine.

I did a helicopter jump (5300 ft) and the altitrack recorded the jump and the duration of freefall (20 sec) but it said that my min, max, and avg freefall speeds were all zero

:S:S

There needs to be certain amount of FF before those values are shown. Don't remember how much it is but it is mentioned somewhere in the manual.

I don't usually check those values unless I know I've gotten over 30 secs of FF.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I have gotten some erroneous readings while doing true hop and pops(not 5500 feet and 10 sec). Have left at 3000 and deployed right away, maybe 2 sec, and have gotten things like 90 feet for exit and 50 feet for deployment. I have gotten things like this several times. I think its kinda funny and tell everybody they are my BASE jumps B|

Why jump something so complicated?

Because for me it doesn't need to be calibrated before every jump and it logs the jumps. I also like the fact that it can't be recalibrated when bumping into someone. By flipping it over, one will also see the altitude down to 10m interval which is pretty handy when landing (but that stopped working when I started to jump a small enough canopy and the wind speed pulled it straight out).

Its also quite nice to see the min, max and average FF speeds as well as FF-time and deployment altitude with a simple turning of the altimeter, compared to taking the dytter out of the helmet.

When I used to jump with two helmets, I often forgot to move one of the dytters between the helmets, but the altimeter was always with me, so no missed jumps in its log.

The only drawback is that one has to change batteries now and then.