Gators1240

Student vs sport rig

So before I get flamed a did search the forum and could not find an answer quite what I wanted. What is the difference between student rental gear and a regular sport rig? I'm looking into buying a rig sometime relatively soon and the only real difference I have been able to find in this forum is that student rigs are generally not safe to freely in. The student gear I'm using now is a vector 3 with a navigator 240.

I was really wondering how much of a difference, If any, that I should expect in the flight control of the canopy/landing difficulty once I switch to a new one, assuming I keep the wing loading the same as the student gear I'm using now.

Containers for student use often have options that the experienced jumper doesn't want or need - adjustable main lift web and reserve side main deployment for example.

Canopies for students are generally conservative in their performance. Nothing wrong with having one as your main; conservative is good when you're learning, if you're older and/or if you have previous injuries to protect.

Differences in canopy flight will depend on which canopy you fly. A Spectre is going to fly and land differently than a Pilot, and both are going to be different from the Navigator you've been jumping. There is really no way to predict "how much" difference, since it depends on which canopy you choose, how you fly it and and your perceptions of speed and landing difficulty.

Being a 'student' rig, could be better defined as a rig configured for student use. They're not fundamentally different that sport rigs, aside from some options that make them better suited to student use, many of which you would not even realize are there.

Adjustable harnesses, reserve side BOC PC extraction, and a student AAD are the main features you will find on a student rig, but not on a sport rig. None of these are features that you as a jumper will have to worry about, so the transition to sport gear should be seamless.

The biggest difference will be in the canopy, and that depends on the model and size. Ideally, you'll transition down to a smaller canopy using the student rigs, so when you go to jump a sport rig, the canopy is either the same size as the last canopy you jumped, or only one size smaller. In the case of moving down one size, you'll want to make sure that you had a number of jumps on the one size up canopy, and that you were confident and comfortable before downsizing.

In terms of how the canopy will handle, it depends, again, on the model and size. Don't expect a huge difference if you are not changing sizes, or only moving down one size. In either case, anytime you are jumping a new-to-you canopy, just ask around the DZ to see if anyone with expereince on that canopy can give you some insight.

About freeflying in student rigs, it varies from rig to rig. Typically, student rigs are older, more 'well used' rigs. Some of them were not freefly friendly when they were brand new, and some of them were but have fallen into disrepair since brand new (not dangerous for student work, but not top shape for 170mph freeflying either). Different combinations of canopy sizes, and wearing on tuck tabs and velcro will contribute to making a rig less freefly friendly, and that describes a good portion of the student gear out there.

"

... OLDER student rigs are generally not safe to freely in. ...Vector 3"...s and other student containers designed since the turn of the century should be free-fly-friendly...

There!
I corrected your post.
Hah!
Hah!