glgflyer

Cutting Closing Loops With Hot Knife

When making closing loops, is it better to cut the ends with a hot knife or is it ok or just as good to cut with scissors then burn the ends with match or lighter. Also, will just any cheap hot knife with a flat tip work for this since this is all I will be using it for? Thanks

Oh, ok. I just assumed they needed to be burned to stop fraying so that is what I have been doing. I do know if they are not burned they will definitely fray all the way to the knot and I just assumed the fray could work its way slowly through the knot. I don't remember seeing any that was not burned, but then again, I usually just pay attention to mine. Maybe someone else can chime in with their opinion.

When making closing loops, is it better to cut the ends with a hot knife or is it ok or just as good to cut with scissors then burn the ends with match or lighter. Also, will just any cheap hot knife with a flat tip work for this since this is all I will be using it for? Thanks

You get better results using a hot knife, but a lighter will work.

You can buy a cheap 40 watt soldering iron, file the tip/blade to a narrow/sharp point, and have a good knife for less than $20.

Also,cutting on a glass top gives you better results.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Its a clear sign of the rigger style of autism. You are just about to create a hard edge with your hot knife. :S

Think about the life span of a closing loop! Who cares about some loose and soft edge?

To the O.P. I am of the just tie it and forget it crowd, but thats just me

You get better results using a hot knife, but a lighter will work.

You can buy a cheap 40 watt soldering iron, file the tip/blade to a narrow/sharp point, and have a good knife for less than $20.

Also,cutting on a glass top gives you better results.

BS,
MEL

A simplier fix is to go to a hobby shop and buy a decorative wood burning kit. The wood burner is nothing but a soldering iron with the tib already narrow and sharp, no need for filing. About the same price and you get some useless directions on how to burn some decorations into some wood.

Believe it or not I just returned from walmart. They had a small pencil type wood burner for 10 bucks and it already had the sharp edge on it like you are talking about. I said for 10 bucks, what the heck! I bought it and it works perfectly!

Now for the tie it and forget it question. I use the common type IIa material for closing loops. I had one loop I had made and did not burn. In a short time it was unraveled all the way to the knot. Does this cause a possibility of the knot slipping when you put the tension on it to close the container?

As I said above, the wood burner works great. However, it does result in a very hard end on the closing loop. But, as someone stated above, that should be covered by the material behind the grommet.

So, with all that said, I guess the verdict is still out on whether to burn or not burn. Comments from anyone else would be very welcome here. Thanks.

Before we start a run on $10 tools at Walmart -

If the fraying worries you, you can put 2 knots in the closing loop. The one closest to the cut end will control the fraying, and the knot that actually takes the load will never be in question.

That being said, I have never seen a tight knot come open even when the fraying is right up to it.

A drop of Dritz "Fray Check" from the sewing store will stop the fraying as well. I used to do that, but I have stopped. Though I have never seen any negative effect from using the stuff, since I don't really know what it is for sure, maybe it isn't great to put it in a rig.

Now that's an idea. I think I have actually seen some with 2 knots but never gave it much thought as to why it had 2 knots. Thanks

Sometimes a person will simply tie a knot above the previous knot to shorten the closing loop also.

We are coming up on cooler weather which means that the closing loops will need to be made a little longer. (low humidity)

Untrying two knots is double the effort to lengthen or shorten the loops IMHO.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Now that's an idea. I think I have actually seen some with 2 knots but never gave it much thought as to why it had 2 knots. Thanks

Sometimes a person will simply tie a knot above the previous knot to shorten the closing loop also.

We are coming up on cooler weather which means that the closing loops will need to be made a little longer. (low humidity)

Untrying two knots is double the effort to lengthen or shorten the loops IMHO.

BS,
MEL

First off, and I am not alone in saying, a single knot will do just fine.

The two knot suggestion is for the person who thinks the fraying up to the single knot is a problem.

If the closing loop is long is long enough to be either your short or your long loop, you don't need to untie the knot that stops the fraying. Only the knot that takes the load needs to be moved.

As far as effort is concerned, how difficult is it to have a second closing loop in the first place? Then you don't need to untie knots at all. I always suggest to people that having spare loops is more convenient than having to make them when you are short on time trying to get your rig closed for a short call.

Yea, you're right. Also, if you have a closing loop that hasn't been burned, and it is unraveled all the way up to the knot, then you don't have the option of making that closing loop longer. You would have to replace it with a new one.

I think I will continue burning mine and just make sure the burned end is short enough to stay contained behind the grommet cover material.

I make a bunch of closing loops in advance and keep them in my gear bag. I don't tie the knot until I use them because I have more than one rig, and also because I often end up giving them away to others. I don't want them to unravel in my gear bag before the knot is tied, so I melt the ends.

Once the knot is tied it doesn't matter.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg