kevin922

Cypres Replacement

From what do you conclude that it can? Redundant or complementary sensors?

From my knowledge of highly available and reliable systems.

That electronic components have failure mechanisms associated with time is not unique to a cypres. It has nothing to do with how rugged the design is.

No it's not. Any device can fail over time, but it is possible to build devices that can detect failures in their components without the need for human intervention.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I cannot accept the 'possibilities' available with modern electronics.

From your post. You said that you don't believe it is possible:

For anyone to be satisfied with the idea that such a component could be subject to 20 years of that treatment without a check or re-certification of any kind is hard for me to believe.

What I also know is that there is not one system on the shuttle that is not inspected, tested, and possibly rebuilt in between every flight. When they get that thing back on the ground, and begin prepping for the next mission, nothing falls under the, 'Just leave it, I'm sure it's fine' catagory.

What about satellites? How often does someone pop by to test their systems in a lab?

Furthermore, after years of existance and my own personal involvement in the process, I can tell you that sending an AAD in every four years for a check-up is not that big of an inconvienience.

I never said anything about inconvenience. I don't have a problem with Airtec's maintenance schedule. All I said is that you've provided no evidence to support your argument about the inadequacy of Vigil's maintenance schedule or lack thereof. It's all entirely speculative. If you have some hard evidence such as a unit that passed all of it's self tests but then failed to work as designed, then please share it. So far, all of the Vigil misfires that I'm aware of were devices working exactly as they were designed to work.

Vector of acceleration of free falling and speed of falling have one direction.

Yes. So what's your point?

My point is that you start on the ground. You turn on your AAD and it begins taking measurements and deducing altitude and descent rate. Your descent rate at this point is zero. You now get in the plane and it climbs to some altitude above ground. Your descent rate during this time is negative. You can't be coming down at 30m/s unless at some point prior to that you went up. Unless you're turning your AAD on whilst in freefall, it had the opportunity to take measurements during that time prior to you descending at 30m/s.

So, perhaps a unit that fails at SSK would never have failed in ordinary use, but I would rather that it be found, and that the mfg get the benefit of the knowing more about their product.

If it would have never failed under "ordinary use" and ordinary use is all it gets, then what does it matter? It would work without fault for it's entire lifetime.

On the other hand, if it does get subjected to such "extraordinary" use and the joint fails, then it becomes a problem immediately, not at the next 4-year check. I'd rather have the device visibly fail so I know it needs repair now.

I've no problem with Airtec's maintenance schedule. I'd happily buy a CYPRES tomorrow if I was in need of a new AAD, but there's simply no evidence I've seen that confirms that Airtec's maintenance schedule is better or that Vigil's is inadequate. There have been Vigil misfires, however, all those I'm aware of were due to design flaws, not a fault with the device. Do you have evidence of Vigils that were faulty but provided no visible indication of this to the user?

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I cannot accept the 'possibilities' available with modern electronics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From your post. You said that you don't believe it is possible:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For anyone to be satisfied with the idea that such a component could be subject to 20 years of that treatment without a check or re-certification of any kind is hard for me to believe.

I didn't say anything was impossible. I did say I found something hard to believe, and my dis-belief is with reagrds to jumpers being happy to jump an AAD for 20 years with no check-up of any kind.

I clearly gave examples of modern electronics being robust and reliable, thus acknowledging their existance and use. I went on to state that even with such electronics, when used in a critical capacity such as an ADD, should be inspected/tested on a regular basis if such testing is possible.

A deep space satellite is not available for such testing, but I can guarantee you that if it was possible, every engineer in NASA would support it. The real goal is 100% functionality of the component when in service, not to prove longevity. Same thing with an AAD.

There have been Vigil misfires, however, all those I'm aware of were due to design flaws, not a fault with the device.

You were doing pretty good in this thread up to this point.

Referencing satellites as hardy electronic devices, for example.

As you envision, it would be nice to have active failure detection in AADs, but the cost of the device might become prohibitive if said detection capabilities were designed into the unit.

The 4 year analysis and inspection is simply more cost effective.

There are also very long-lived electronic devices, in terms of hours of use if not actual lifespan, in aircraft, automobiles and watercraft that do not have failure detection capability. It would be nice to have that feature, but it might become cost ineffective.

Back to the point: when you said the Vigil misfires were a design flaw, not a problem with the device, you showed a failure of fundamental understanding.

The device IS the design.

Perhaps you are thinking of software deficiencies, but that is still the device.

One buys it, one uses it, it comes as-is.

Bon temps.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

The AADs take in account only the vertical speed since they work with the atmospheric pressure and the rate of change of pressure. Therefore the initial vertical speed (provided the airplane is flying at level) is zero when leaving the airplane.

About a comment on a post:
No problem with Airtec maintenance schedule ???? Only his wallet knows ! Would you like to have your car steering system having a compulsory maintenance at high cost dictated by the car maker ? I believe a car steering system is very important for the safety. And it's not a back up device. It's a vital element of a car. Same for the brake system.
A lot a people on this forum weren't jumping in the 1990s to know the numerous problem encountered by AADs at the time. It took ten years to get rid of most of those problems and other problems generally coming from contractors (makers of pressure sensors or cutters) are still seen here and there in the recent years.
The one who doesn't know History is condemned to repeat its mistakes.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

The Cypres 2 comes with a 12,5-year full warranty from Airtec (lifetime).

The manufacturer writes absolutely another.

Technical defects that show up during the frst 2 years from the date of manufacture will be repaired by the manufacturer at no cost. The manufacturer reserves the right to decide whether the unit will be repaired or replaced. Nei- ther repair nor replacement will change the original warranty period of 2 years from original DOM.

Thanks for the hint, the homepage says it different. I will forward this to Airtec and post their reply here.

http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82&Itemid=103&lang=en

I talked to Airtec today about this discrepancy. The statement on the homepage is correct, it is a full 12,5-year warranty. No exceptions. The manuals will be changed in the near future.

The Vigil 2 is a more modern AAD than the Cypres 2 which is a 2002 design while the Vigil 2 is a 2007 design.

Not really. Everytime when a Cypres 2 is shipped in for service is gets a software and hardware update. Airtec does continous research and improved the Cypres 2 in all the years. Gimmicks like the flight counter were implemented, but also serious changes in hardware and software algorithms werde done. If you bought a Cypres 2 in 2004 you now have a 2008-Cypres 2, provided it was in for service. Maybe it is a completely new unit, without letting you know.

The Vigil is more user friendly, shows in clear language what it is checking (BATT OK, CONTROL OK and CUTT OK). If at least one of the 3 checks is wrong, it switches off immediately.

Cypres 2 checks at least one item at every second during the count-down. If one item fails to be tested okay it shuts down immediately.

The Vigil has the 3 modes you can yourself choose from (PRO, STUDENT and TANDEM). And the chosen mode stays written on the display window again in clear language as long as the device is switched on. The 3 modes of the Vigil makes it a favorite of several DZs since it is easy to manage the equipment and change this AAD from a rig to another like from STUDENT to TANDEM for instance. Because of that I believe it is easier to sell it.

Every Cypres 2 can be switched between modes in the factory or at SSK. For free. So feel free to buy a Tandem Cypres 2 and let the mnode be changed to Expert Cypres 2. Rumours say that Airtec...no sorry, I am not entitled to tell something about this.

The Vigil unlike its competitors is ready to fire soon after take off (150 feet). Personally I like to be protected as soon as possible.

I like to be protected as safe as possible. I doubt that it is safer to leave a disabled airplane in 500 feet than staying inside. But that's just my personal opinion.

Vigil like its competitors has had its share of problems (static electricity, cutters, pressure sensors...). The electronic components are unpredictable even when checked say every 4 years. They can give up anytime. Electronic is like that and we have to live with it. But the attitude of a jumper should be always to consider that an AAD is a back up device. Therefore, it's good to have one but after switching it on, one should forget it.

You better not forget that you have a VIGIL in your rig. As you have written the biggest problems come from users who do not read the manual of their AADs. Do not forget to check your Vigil 2 once a year by comparing its pressure readings with those from a calibrated altimeter. The sensors slowly loose their calibration, about 1hPa per year. That means only 8m(30ft) per year, but after 5 years it is already 40m(150ft). Do not forget to check the Mode before each jump.

The Vigil has also unlike its competitors a correction altitude of 6000 feet which is very convenient for mountainous regions like Colorado, Switzerland

As a physics teacher you surely know something about the atmospheric pressure variation and its specifics in mountaineous areas. With a correction range greater than 3000 feet the readings tend to be to unprecise for an exact calculation that is needed for a reliable AAD, especially within the complex local wind and pressure systems within mountains like the alps.

.... The biggest problem with AADs comes from users who are not reading the user's manual

Yes.

The Advanced Aerospace Designs company has a history of transparence unlike its main competitor and for all of that, this is why I have chosen the Vigil AAD.

That surprises me. Have you been offered a factory tour by AAD? Me not, and even some other people than me. When I was asking for some specific information for an article for a german website, I only the got the blahblah frome the website (most reliable and modern AAD). No single answer to one of my questions. I am a nobody in skydiving, but some of my friends are well-known and are skydiving for more than 30 years now. None of their friendly queries for a factory tour was ever responded. I had a tour at Airtec and that 's one of the strongest reasons why I really trust and believe in them. I was shown every stage of the production and testing process, as well as the maintenance. Their quality control is superb and I have nothing bad to say about transparency. Give them a call when you come to Europe and I am sure that they will welcome you and offer the tour.

From what do you conclude that it can? Redundant or complementary sensors?

From my knowledge of highly available and reliable systems.

You may be speaking of the fact that it could have been designed with triple redundant sensors with voting logic. It could have been designed that way, but it was not, isn't that correct?

That electronic components have failure mechanisms associated with time is not unique to a cypres. It has nothing to do with how rugged the design is.

No it's not. Any device can fail over time, but it is possible to build devices that can detect failures in their components without the need for human intervention.

The vigil can't detect the changes that occur over time in components any better than a cypres. You suggest that it is smarter, or it could be smarter, but the fact is that it is not even smart enough to filter out obviously impossible scenarios that its primary competitor does. Not very smart at all. It matters not that it could be designed to do more.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Frankly, I guess I'm not smart enough to understand all the issues effecting the AAD debate. I am somewhat a techie, but damn, the techie details here are beyond me...

I have a cypres 1 in each of my rigs. I've never needed them and hope I never do. All my mentors used cypres and so do I.

They've been around a long time.
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

No. The design is a technical description on paper of how the device should be built and how it should respond to various inputs. A device can work exactly as it was designed to and still do something wrong in the eyes of the user. On the systems I work on, this is usually where everyone goes running to the requirements and/or statement of work to see what was signed off, but we don't have that with a retail device. Up until the recent incident with the door opening at 400', A.A.D.'s party line was that Vigil worked exactly as designed and there was nothing to fix, and they were right. The device worked as designed. The design was inadequate for the circumstances and so it did something the user did not want.

You may be speaking of the fact that it could have been designed with triple redundant sensors with voting logic. It could have been designed that way, but it was not, isn't that correct?

That's an example, yes, although voting logic is probably more complex than is necessary. It really only needs to be able to detect sensor drift, not continue to function in spite of it. It would probably be enough to simply report an error if the difference in the sensor outputs exceeded a threshold value. As for how it's actually built, I don't know. My point is that people jump up and down about the lack of an enforced maintenance schedule, but nobody's actually shown there to be a need, yet, and if you really want to have your device re-tested periodically, you can send it back to Vigil/A.A.D. and have it tested - at least, I seem to recall seeing such a statement somewhere in the past few years.

There's plenty of reasons to criticize the Vigil design when comparing it to its competition, but let's stick to actual proven facts.

No. The design is a technical description on paper of how the device should be built and how it should respond to various inputs. A device can work exactly as it was designed to and still do something wrong in the eyes of the user. On the systems I work on, this is usually where everyone goes running to the requirements and/or statement of work to see what was signed off, but we don't have that with a retail device. Up until the recent incident with the door opening at 400', A.A.D.'s party line was that Vigil worked exactly as designed and there was nothing to fix, and they were right. The device worked as designed. The design was inadequate for the circumstances and so it did something the user did not want.

Yeah, it's the design, not the product that's screwed up. You keep telling yourself that.

By the way, I have an as-new 1976 Ford Pinto for you. I can't let it go cheap, as there's nothing wrong with the car. The car is great; nothing wrong with this car.

There's a small design flaw, however, but that shouldn't bother you, if you're into driving vintage cars. After all, it's the design, not the model.

If that doesn't float your boat, how about a 2007 Toyota Corolla?
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

That's an example, yes, although voting logic is probably more complex than is necessary. It really only needs to be able to detect sensor drift

How in the world is it going to detect sensor drift?

It would probably be enough to simply report an error if the difference in the sensor outputs exceeded a threshold value.

Are you assuming there would be more than one? Again, that is a design that has not/is not available, so it is not relevant when discussing alternatives to the cypres.

As for how it's actually built, I don't know. My point is that people jump up and down about the lack of an enforced maintenance schedule, but nobody's actually shown there to be a need, yet, and if you really want to have your device re-tested periodically, you can send it back to Vigil/A.A.D. and have it tested - at least, I seem to recall seeing such a statement somewhere in the past few years.

I've already commented about how we don't know the extent to which a vigil would be tested if it was to be sent back voluntarily. Does it compare to the very rigorous testing done for a cypres? If it is a rather simplistic set of criteria without environmental extremes, then it will not uncover faults that should be found, that need to be found. Without knowing that their testing regimen, to say that a person can send it in voluntarily still does not accomplish what the 4 and 8 year cypres check does.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yeah, it's the design, not the product that's screwed up. You keep telling yourself that.

You're obviously confused. Why do I need to keep telling myself anything? The design defines the product, so speaking about them as somehow distinct doesn't make a lot of sense. If the design is flawed, then so is the product. I'm thinking that you don't understand the meaning of the word design.

A device is a physical assembly of components to perform some function. I can pick up a device and put it in my container. The design is the information in schematics and other technical literature showing how to build a device. The design is not concrete. You don't put the design in your container. You put a device in it.

A device can be faulty by having, for example, a bad solder joint which intermittently fails or a faulty pressure sensor which returns inaccurate information. A faulty device can be fixed and/or replaced with another of the same make/model and the problems go away. If the fault is in the design, then it's much worse. If doesn't matter if you replace the device. It's working as designed so any replacement built to the same design will also exhibit the same undesirable behaviour.

Design flaws are worse, not better.

After all, it's the design, not the model.

As above, this doesn't make sense. It seems obvious that you don't understand the word design.

This is the first line of your reference on the definition of design. Seems like your own link disagrees with you.

No generally-accepted definition of “design” exists[1], and the term has different connotations in different fields (see design disciplines below).

I think in the end it is a matter of personnal choice. What a person is comfortable with.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Exactly the same way that voting logic works, but it's a simpler problem. It does require being able to make the same measurement in multiple ways and comparing the results for agreement. Two sources of measurement allow detection of a problem, but no way to decide which may be correct. Three or more sources of information can provide enough information to not only detect a problem, but also function correctly in spite of a malfunctioning information source. This is where voting logic comes into play.

Are you assuming there would be more than one? Again, that is a design that has not/is not available, so it is not relevant when discussing alternatives to the cypres.

To detect sensor drift, you would need more than one way to determine altitude. Multiple barometric pressure sensors would be one way to do that. I don't know the component list to build any of the existing AADs on the market. It wouldn't surprise me if they only had one barometric pressure sensor. It also wouldn't surprise me if any of them had more than one.

I've already commented about how we don't know the extent to which a vigil would be tested if it was to be sent back voluntarily. Does it compare to the very rigorous testing done for a cypres? If it is a rather simplistic set of criteria without environmental extremes, then it will not uncover faults that should be found, that need to be found. Without knowing that their testing regimen, to say that a person can send it in voluntarily still does not accomplish what the 4 and 8 year cypres check does.

FUD.

This is the first line of your reference on the definition of design. Seems like your own link disagrees with you.

I guess you couldn't read past the first sentence, such as perhaps to the second sentence. "Design" has a very specific meaning in technical parlance.

I think in the end it is a matter of personnal choice. What a person is comfortable with.

Agreed.

Exactly the same way that voting logic works, but it's a simpler problem. It does require being able to make the same measurement in multiple ways and comparing the results for agreement. Two sources of measurement allow detection of a problem, but no way to decide which may be correct. Three or more sources of information can provide enough information to not only detect a problem, but also function correctly in spite of a malfunctioning information source. This is where voting logic comes into play.

To detect sensor drift, you would need more than one way to determine altitude. Multiple barometric pressure sensors would be one way to do that. I don't know the component list to build any of the existing AADs on the market. It wouldn't surprise me if they only had one barometric pressure sensor. It also wouldn't surprise me if any of them had more than one.

FUD.

The vigil doesn't have multiple sensors, does it? So then, how does that pertain to this discussion? You seem to have been arguing in favor of the vigil based on a design it does not utilize.

The vigil doesn't have multiple sensors, does it?

As I already said, I don't know the component list of *any* current or previous AAD, so it therefore logically follows that I don't know that answer to that question. Since I've already said that before, why do you keep asking this question?

So then, how does that pertain to this discussion?

You came into the conversation later, so maybe you missed the point while the conversation was getting sidetracked into the hows and whys of designing highly available and reliable technology. This line of discussion started when Dave stated that he found it hard to believe that a device could be made that could be relied on to work without regularly scheduled testing and maintenance. My initial comment was that there a several ways that this can be accomplished, but I also commented that whether the A.A.D. has done enough to warrant their maintenance claims remains to be seen. To date, as far as I'm aware, there's no evidence to suggest that Airtec's maintenance schedule is "better" or that A.A.D.'s is "worse". This whole line of argument is little more than FUD.

You seem to have been arguing in favor of the vigil based on a design it does not utilize.

No. I'm arguing against FUD. You want me to say that I think CYPRES 2 is better than the Vigil 2? I do think CYPRES 2 is better than the Vigil 2. I've already said twice in this thread here and here that I prefer the CYPRES 2 to the Vigil. I've also commented on numerous occasions such as here and here about design deficiencies in the Vigil and Vigil 2. I think Airtec has a better design philosophy and as a result has produced a better design and a better product. If I was in the market for a new AAD, it would probably be a CYPRES 2, but I can't abide FUD. The only people it helps are the manufacturers. It almost invariably disadvantages the consumer at large, which is us.

The vigil doesn't have multiple sensors, does it?

As I already said, I don't know the component list of *any* current or previous AAD, so it therefore logically follows that I don't know that answer to that question. Since I've already said that before, why do you keep asking this question?

So then, how does that pertain to this discussion?

You came into the conversation later, so maybe you missed the point while the conversation was getting sidetracked into the hows and whys of designing highly available and reliable technology. This line of discussion started when Dave stated that he found it hard to believe that a device could be made that could be relied on to work without regularly scheduled testing and maintenance. My initial comment was that there a several ways that this can be accomplished, but I also commented that whether the A.A.D. has done enough to warrant their maintenance claims remains to be seen. To date, as far as I'm aware, there's no evidence to suggest that Airtec's maintenance schedule is "better" or that A.A.D.'s is "worse". This whole line of argument is little more than FUD.

You seem to have been arguing in favor of the vigil based on a design it does not utilize.

No. I'm arguing against FUD. You want me to say that I think CYPRES 2 is better than the Vigil 2? I do think CYPRES 2 is better than the Vigil 2. I've already said twice in this thread here and here that I prefer the CYPRES 2 to the Vigil. I've also commented on numerous occasions such as here and here about design deficiencies in the Vigil and Vigil 2. I think Airtec has a better design philosophy and as a result has produced a better design and a better product. If I was in the market for a new AAD, it would probably be a CYPRES 2, but I can't abide FUD. The only people it helps are the manufacturers. It almost invariably disadvantages the consumer at large, which is us.

My mistake, I thought you were asserting that the vigil self test is able to do things that it cannot.

I do think that the evidence in favor of the 4/8 year checks does exist. Every time it takes more than the usual 2 weeks to do the check - when it has to get sent back to Germany/when a customer has to wait an unusually long time to get it back, that is when something bad was discovered that was not (probably could never) be found by a self test. Airtec, if they wanted, could show us the extent of the adjustments made to typical units. I think it would be very interesting, but will probably never happen.