Cinders

Alternate wrist altimeter setup?

Anyone have any ideas/rigs for an altimeter?

Have a wristwatch style band, but my new FF suit sleeve billows over half of it, covering.

The standard wrist and finger setup hurts like hell to me. The rubber finger ring is awfully painful. I do have big hands and wrists, which may be the reason.

Any other ideas? I gotta move it forward onto my hand again, but can't bear to have that rubber ring cutting my fingers.

Try putting the loop over just the index finger, with the alti sitting more toward your thumb. It is easier to read like that anyway.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

What kind of altimeter?

You can use this
http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p1154.asp#SQ1InstrumentGloves or make/have made a similar set up for other altimeters. Especially if you have a big hand.

I've seen many hand mounts with the o ring changed to type IIA. Thinner but doesn't stretch.

FYI I've heard of two cases where a line or riser snaged a hand mount and badly injured the hand/fingers.

Also can go to the good old chest mount.;) Or mud flap mount.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You might have a wee bit too much fabric on the arm of your jumpsuit if it covers your alti.

You can take the easy fix, which is to pull a hunk of your jumpsuit under the strap of your alti and pin it down so it can't cover the alti. This can backfire if it slips out.

You can take the more permanent route, and get a rigger to modify your sleeve. They can ususally fold over some of the bag and run a stich line to pin down the fold. If they do it right, it will restrict just enough 'arm fat' to prevent it from covering the alti without changing the 'feel' of the suit.

Thanks. I'll pass that along to my friend.

Back before freeflying, when the latest thing in skydiving was sit-flying, I used to strap my altimeter on my leg just above the knee. That way it was always right in front of me and took nothing to look at. Which I would still recommend to anyone who is only sit-flying.

Thanks. I'll pass that along to my friend.

Back before freeflying, when the latest thing in skydiving was sit-flying, I used to strap my altimeter on my leg just above the knee. That way it was always right in front of me and took nothing to look at. Which I would still recommend to anyone who is only sit-flying.

Mudflap mount works as well. I use it in wingsuiting. Doesn't matter where your legs are, the mudflap is always in the same place. I also use a wrist mount for canopy flight. If I'm fighting line twists, my hands are on the risers with the alti in view. After deploying way too low, maintaining altitude awareness is a high priority.:)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

A little late to this but here is a home made solution. One of the guys at my first DZ was making these for people.

Basically an elastic band was used to make a strap that would fit between the index finger and the thumb.

I love it. Easy to read doing just about anything.

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"

Little tough to get alti on, because it's so snug, but that's a good thing once you get it on.

Several jumps so far, love it. It's comfortably loose on my wrist, but doesn't move an inch.

Thanks so much for the suggestion. Wish I had this years ago. Tell me if they stop making these, I'm buying 3 extras