aykay

When do you become a "Skydiver"?

When you can walk to the door and decide all for yourself whether or not you're going to jump, fully aware of all the consequences and fully willing to take responsibility for all of your actions -- then, you are a skydiver.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

When you can walk to the door and decide all for yourself whether or not you're going to jump, fully aware of all the consequences and fully willing to to take responsibility for all of your actions -- then, you are a skydiver.

That is one simple, but thoughtful definition I can live with. Nice job Quade!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

"I became a "skydiver" the day I did my first freefall - ie the day I saved my own life by deploying a parachute that was on my back.

I don't expect anyone else to agree with my definition though."

"When you can walk to the door and decide all for yourself whether or not you're going to jump, fully aware of all the consequences and fully willing to to take responsibility for all of your actions -- then, you are a skydiver."
------------------------------------------------------------
I agree with both SkyBytch and Quade's definitions here! I think both are right.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

You should have added a spot for "None of the above"
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

If you get out, you are a skydiver. A Tandem passenger may not be doing it all themselves, but they're still getting out.

I saw a guy try to hold on once, I don't think he was a skydiver even though he eventually got out.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I picked 500+ jumps. It has been my experience that with waaaayyy more than that I am constantly challenged by my friends with the quote "Rainbo, who taught you to skydive like that!?!"B|

Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

1)When you get your "A" license

2)When you get your own rig. I think this is important because when you own your own rig, it shows that you have made an investment and more importantly, it gives you the freedom to jump anywhere you want without worrying about weather or not the DZ has good rental gear.

scott

1)When you get your "A" license

2)When you get your own rig. I think this is important because when you own your own rig, it shows that you have made an investment and more importantly, it gives you the freedom to jump anywhere you want without worrying about weather or not the DZ has good rental gear.

scott

I agree with half of this (this is just my opinion). I got my own rig, but I'm not current and I don't have my "A". Once I get back in the air and get my "A", (which will happen once i get accepted to or turned down for some training I'm trying for) then I will consider myself a skydiver. Even then I'm not so sure....I guess I think that if I'm current then I'm a skydiver, if I'm not current then I'm someone who done some skydives. I guess for me it's all in the mentality.

I know you never stop learning but I was wondering what you guys thought. Is there a higher class of jumper? Last time I checked we were all equally mortal. :S

I felt I became a SKYDIVER, when I got my A-Lic and my own gear.
When I stopped jumping for 5 years (A big error to my soul), I felt that I "was once" a skydiver.
As an Active athlete, I was a "Slider" on Bobsled & Skeleton but, when I become Non-current in anything, scuba,skydive, etc.. I feel the "Title" of being a participant become a passive or "was a..." term of being.

I love the definitions given by skybytch and quade but voted finishing AFF because that was when my last instructor took me in to the packing room and announced I was a skydiver.

I have to disagree with buying your own rig only because it is out of the question for me right now. On the other hand I have made a commitment of X dollars a month on jumps and I am accumulating other gear like helmet, audible and jump suit.

I think it is the commitment of doing it on a regular basis that really counts.

edited to fix a typo.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I became a "skydiver" the day I did my first freefall - ie the day I saved my own life by deploying a parachute that was on my back.

I don't expect anyone else to agree with my definition though.

to bad. I do. :)