Kramer

Skydivers And Marijuana

Do you smoke marijuana? Answer whatever you feel best describes your marijuana intake.

(For the record, I do not smoke)

Obviously, this is confidential info, so unless you reply with how you voted, no one is going to know. Giddyup.

For those of you who do smoke, and aren't afraid to admit it...why do you smoke??

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

trolling trolling trolling....

did you search first? its all been done before....geez cant peeps use the nice link in the middle of the page before posting topics like this??

did you search first? its all been done before....geez cant peeps use the nice link in the middle of the page before posting topics like this??

Everything on here has been done before. ;)

I'm writing a paper on marijuana in sports, and would like to have a poll to site that I conducted...so sue me. :P

every time this subject comes up it starts a huge dz.com battle. :S i think i'll watch from the bleachers. [:/] good luck. :|

Just for record's sake, that's not what I intended to do with this thread. Just want some numbers, that's all. I have no problem with you if you smoke marijuana, do what ya wanna do...just as long as your ass doesn't put it in my glove box and get me arrested. :P

Smoking at Ohio University is common, there isn't much to do besided drink and smoke. The college has a larger population than the city of Athens, so if you want a real town you have to drive 2 hrs. to Columbus.

I know kids here smoke to relieve the stress of midterms, finals, work, death, and use it as an overall coping tool. Criticize as you may but for some of my friends, its saved their life in some situations. If they didn't smoke, they would have taken more drastic measure to harm themselves (implying the worst). As long as smoking doesn't rule your life or affect you or those around you, I see no problem with it.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Criticize as you may but for some of my friends, its saved their life in some situations

Not to sidetrack the poll, but sounds like your friends need some counselling. Anything that is deemed "necessary" in the circumstances described is an indicator of a larger problem.
Performance Designs Factory Team

if you use the numbers you'll get from this kind of poll in any sort of research paper your only contributing to the continual propagation of poor research techniques, misinformation and the invalid conclusions they generate. If your writing an opinion paper you really dont need any 'facts' or pseudo-facts to support it in the first place.

again if you really want the info do a search and count based on responses, its not that hard and most people wont bother to type out the same reply again and again.

Also as this is a public forum and your asking about an illegal activity the answers you'll find are likely to be far more conservative than those suggested by ones experience of reality..

IMLE on pretty much every controversial topic: drugs, sex, alcohol, wingloading/jump #s etc.. the trend here (or any public website where you can be IDed by your posts) is far more conservative than the reality.

IMLE on pretty much every controversial topic: drugs, sex, alcohol, wingloading/jump #s etc.. the trend here (or any public website where you can be IDed by your posts) is far more conservative than the reality.

Meaning people lie, and give answers that make them seem more...(can't think of the right word) wholesome? (ie: Some people on here are voting "No" when really they do indeed smoke?)

Criticize as you may but for some of my friends, its saved their life in some situations

Not to sidetrack the poll, but sounds like your friends need some counselling. Anything that is deemed "necessary" in the circumstances described is an indicator of a larger problem.

Ditto.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

nothing wrong with his methods... he wants to know about marajuana use among skydivers.

1. are they valid? does the survey really examine what he wants to find out? YES.

2. are they reliable? will he get the same results if he repeats the survey? PROBABLY.

he'd need to account for a certain margin of error, but he'll probably get more honest answers here than if he were to do a face to face interview at a DZ.

Meaning people lie, and give answers that make them seem more...(can't think of the right word) wholesome? (ie: Some people on here are voting "No" when really they do indeed smoke?)

perhaps, there is no real way to know. There is also no way to know the number of people who saw the thread title, realize its a topic we've beaten to death a number of times note large herd of equine corpses decomposing in the corner and move on without ever opening it.

generally these kinds of threads only get strong opinion posts, how many people do you really think will give you a strong opinion on something they can be arrested for admitting?? How many people just wont bother to open the thread at all…a poll is only representative of the sub group of people who respond to polls, not the group your really trying to poll… sure you can base conclusions off it, and many major organizations do all the time when it supports their agenda to do so, but do you really think it counts as data or even a representative sample?

see the inherent problems with this kind of 'poll'?

Everything on here has been done before. ;)

I'm writing a paper on marijuana in sports, and would like to have a poll to site that I conducted...so sue me. :P

Question for you, Kramer:

Why would you want to shine that kind of light on our sport anyway? Sure, there is some marijuana used by skydivers. BUT, I'm sure it's in the minority. Why would we want a bunch of whuffos thinking that skydivers are a bunch of pot heads?

Just curious why you would choose such a topic for a paper. [:/]

Yup, but bud is more affordable than counselling. We are all poor college kids and the free counselling they offer sucks ass because the people that work for the University health services are morons.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Question for you, Kramer:

Why would you want to shine that kind of light on our sport anyway? Sure, there is some marijuana used by skydivers. BUT, I'm sure it's in the minority. Why would we want a bunch of whuffos thinking that skydivers are a bunch of pot heads?

Just curious why you would choose such a topic for a paper. [:/]

Understandable. My paper is on Marijuana In Sports. Skydiving is just one of many sports. There's a good chance it won't get more than a sentence or two mentioned on it. I am writing it more for the alleged reports that over 50% of NBA players smoke marijuana, (and I'm sure a hefty chunk of NFL players do too). I still have a lot of research left to do on it, and along this path of research, I made a thread to see what kind of numbers I would get from this sport...simple as that.

Plus, it's not like "I'm giving skydiving a bad rep" or anything. I mean, one guy (my professor) is going to read this paper, and on top of that, there's a good chance that skydiving will hardly be mentioned in it at all. And for all I know, skydiving will be one of the sports that I use as an example of a sport where marijuana is hardly used. I really don't view this as "shining a [bad light] on our sport". Just MO. :|

Seems that this exact same poll, topic and question came up last month. Regardless, no I do not smoke, have not ever, do not now, will not ever! Personally thing it is stupid to do it and jump, person is not being considerate of his, or anyone elses safety or well being!
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

For those of you who do smoke, and aren't afraid to admit it...why do you smoke??

Well, for one thing, I like the act of smoking, but feel that 'normal' cigarettes are disgusting. I've been bringing my marijuana intake down by using rolling tobacco whenever I'm not explicitly looking to get high.
As for that, I like it best when I'm kicking back after a successful day or if I'm drunk. It was very good combined with ecstasy as well, but nowadays I might drop that stuff perhaps once a year, on really special occasions. Rave parties were much more fun back in high school.

I'll also sometimes smoke to alter my way of thinking if I'm writing. (Both fiction and academic stuff.) And some of the most interesting and intellectually challenging discussions I've had with my friends were made 'under influence'. But we've always been a weird crowd...
(Oh, and I fall into the "not avidly" category, just in case I came across as a regular toker :P)

Yup, but bud is more affordable than counselling

The new prozac? I really don't know what to say to that... Talk to each other...friends make better therapists sometimes.

The same with drinking.. yeah it numbs the pain for awhile, but the worst time to actually have a drink is when you think you NEED one.

nothing wrong with his methods... he wants to know about marajuana use among skydivers.

1. are they valid? does the survey really examine what he wants to find out? YES.

2. are they reliable? will he get the same results if he repeats the survey? PROBABLY.

he'd need to account for a certain margin of error, but he'll probably get more honest answers here than if he were to do a face to face interview at a DZ.

there is ALOT wrong with his methods, same thing that is wrong with all such polls, they DONT poll the target group, only the subset that is inclined to respond to polls.

is that sub group representative? statisticians assume so, but that does not make it so. What are you going to do have a poll to see who responds to polls? There is no control group to test the reliability of the data against. Other polls? Same issues

and its equally immaterial if the poll is here or in person, or even were completely unanimous it still isn’t targeting the group (or even a representative sample) he's attempting to characterize. The number of subsets of his 'target' group he's actually reaching here, online, thru this one site, over the limited period of time his poll will stay visible, make these numbers even less representative of skydivers as a whole...

there are far to many errors to accurately be 'corrected' (assumed) for, but of course reality never hinders a statisticians or their assumptions at all…

I'll also sometimes smoke to alter my way of thinking if I'm writing. (Both fiction and academic stuff.) And some of the most interesting and intellectually challenging discussions I've had with my friends were made 'under influence'. But we've always been a weird crowd...
(Oh, and I fall into the "not avidly" category, just in case I came across as a regular toker )

I second that. In all honesty, I think it's better than going out and getting drunk. When you're stoned, you're just hanging out not doing much of anything and usually not putting anyone in harm's way. You can't overdose on it (like alcohol). And in my opinion, alcohol alters my thinking and actions (usually in a negative manner) more than pot does.
I don't see anything wrong with lighting it up at the end of the day, etc. Like anything, obviously any mood altering type drug should be used in moderation.

I smoke

But I don't even look at weed if I am jumping.
I don't smoke often, but I have been smoking a lot more lately.
Reason is I am in a new state, I have no one here, and it is too cold to jump.

But when I know I am going to skydive I don't touch the stuff and I make sure not to touch it at least 3-5 days before I go.
If you want to ask any thing else feel free to PM me.
I am always there to help people with school:)
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain