darrenm

skydive houston guy "dropped"?

This weekend out at skydive houston there was this guy who had some sort of issue pulling. Later I thought I overheard that he was "dropped". Do you actually get dropped from the program , have to redo a level or what. Anyone know about this guy and what his actual issue was? Can you do something so irresponsible that they would tell you to just stay home?

I am still a newbie.......but I lived at a dropzone for months......and from what I can remember the DZO can tell anyone especially a student they need to find another dropzone to go too.......I was grounded for awhile due to a neck injury from a hard opening on my back........

hopefully more experienced jumpers than I can answer this question for you.....

safe landings

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

I have heard the "take-up-golf" speech on a number of occasions (never to me, of course :P). The most memorable was a guy who had a cypres fire and then a week later was medivaced out of the DZ for Augering in. Guy just wasn't wired right for the sport, I guess..... Not my call or opinions, just what happened..
=========Shaun ==========

Can't comment on what happened on SDH since I was only around for a couple of hours this weekend, but as far as someone getting "dropped", yes it is possible and not unherad of.

If you are a danger to yourself and to those around you it would be irresponsible to let you continue and hurt yourself and/or someone else.

I have had to "remind" students that skydiving isn't for everyone and that they should take it a bit more seriously and maybe consider taking up something else. I have only had to tell 1 person they couldn't jump due to some recurring issues and being advised by serveral S&TA's
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Usually I've heard of instructors trying to be gentle in the "Maybe skydiving isn't for you" speech by saying something like "Hey, do ya like golf? How about bowling?" :D:D:D

Okay, in all seriousness, I've seen video of some pretty damn bad students. I know of one who had an uncontrollable spin for a LOOOOOOOOONG time, and I'm not sure if anyone gave her that speech or not, but I doubt it considering she made like 350 skydives before getting out of the sport.

Anyway, what I'm getting at here is that in most cases it's pretty extreme that someone would be forced to stop. They'd either have to REALLY fuck up (like a guy i knew who dumped the reserve instead of the main, after lying to the dz and claiming he had 15 jumps instead of ZERO. :| (BTW, not my dz that let him jump.....;)) Or they'd have to be so untalented/scared/doing it for the wrong reasons that it would only be a danger to themselves and to others for them to be in the air.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I've seen several people get the "Take up Golf/Bowling" speech. Normally this occurs after a prolonged period of coaching and instruction that doesn't work for whatever reason. I have seen a guy who was so wreckless that he was told to "...Go kill yourself somewhere else...". I have also seen a guy get dumped for irresponsible things that had nothing to do with jumping. It happens, not often, but it happens.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

IMHO most people can become skydivers. I've heard of people whom have been put back to S/L after 70-100 jumps - and they still continued and have thousands of jumps now.

Some people get into the sport faster than anything - others might have to struggle for years - and if they just keep on pushing, they'll make it, eventually!

I had some problems at first, when I started skydiving. In fact, I even wrote about it here (some 1,5 years ago). I got answers such "Skydiving is not for everyone" / "Maybe skydiving is not for you" etc. Had I followed those remarks, I would not be here now.

Skydiving is almost for everyone - if you hang in there long enough and you really want it!

I don't agree. This sport is not for everyone. As we have all seen, there are those few who simply don't, or won't get it. The risk in this sport is too high to allow those few to continue. Fortunately, those are very few and very far between. This is not to say that it is not for those who can persist, but there comes a time when a line must be drawn. Those few people who I have seen dropped were those who were a danger to themselves and others. That and one who wanted more to be a dope dealer than a skydiver.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

And that's why I used words "almost" and "most".

Like you said it yourself - very few really fall in the category of "simply don't, or won't get it".

Of course, most students give up skydiving themeselves - no matter whether they could get their licence or not. (Only about 8-10% of all students get their C-licences here in Finland [A and B are considered to be on student status])

others might have to struggle for years - and if they just keep on pushing, they'll make it, eventually!

Ahh. Positive thinking!

Or maybe they'll die first. Sometimes the ground keeps pushing too. It's not fast, but it's patient. When you fuck up, it'll be there, waiting.

I've told some students I won't jump with them anymore. Sometimes they simply cannot do what I say. Others, they're always uncurrent, going two or three months between AFF dives. Usually, I'm the "last hope" as I have a reputation for "finding the key" to unlock the bits that make it work.

If I can't solve it, I don't keep trying forever. My slowest student graduated the AFF program in 23 dives.(They paid only slots and pack jobs for 13 of those.) If they're trying, I'll try, but when it becomes more of an exercise in motivational speaking and psycology than one about skydiving instruction, I pull the plug.

When you have a student on L6 or L7 that's never pulling, and they pull once... would you pass them to solo's?

I don't trust Cypres enough for that.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Dude, I don't know about dropping people from the program. . .I am sure it happens but since I am not an instructor I don't have first-hand knowledge. . .

I know about repeating levels during AFF. . .It is quite common to repeat a level or two. . .I repeated my level 3. I remember reading a story of someone here who had to go to the tunnel to learn not to spin in freefall. . .then finally passed their AFF. . .

Here is the thing. . .if you are worried about having to repeat a level or being dropped from the program, you won't be focusing on what you need to learn for the next level. Just listen to your instructors and do everything they teach you to the best of your ability. One other note, it is much easier to "get it all together" if you do your AFF levels closer together. The less time that lapses between jumps, the easier it is to "get it right". At least that is what I have been told. . .
FGF #6
Darcy