weekender

Vector3 V348 with a 170 and packing?

I'm curious to hear peoples opinion on how it is to pack a 170 into a vector3 v348 with a standard fit reserve. does anyone have this setup or pack it and will share their thoughts? A Sabre2 170 even better.

I'm looking for thoughts from people who have experience packing this setup, thanks.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

I have a V348 with a pdr-160 and a 170 Pulse. Packs up nicely. I used to have a Spectre 170 in it. I have never had an issue with packing. Aesthetically it looks a bit better with the Pulse than the Spectre.

I have PR160 and Storm 170 in mine. No problems packing.

Makes me wander if 150 is a bit small for this rig as closing loop is already quite short.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I've put a Sabre 170, a Pilot 150, and a Cobalt 150 in my V348/PDR160 with no problems what so ever.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

i have spoken to the dealer and manufacturer and just wanted to hear from users.

thanks everyone who has replied and thanks going forward to any one who would like to add any more experiences. appreciate it.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

I have PR160 and Storm 170 in mine. No problems packing.

Makes me wander if 150 is a bit small for this rig as closing loop is already quite short.

To the OP i have had 2 V348's both had Sab 2 170's in them to start...no problem packing....
To Antonija...i have a Sab 2 150 in it now and fir is great and some 135's will fit in it also
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I have had a Vector 3 M 348 fitting a 160 PD reserve and a PD Sabre 2-170. Perfect fit. If you go on the UPT Vector site, there is a chart for container/parachute compatibility which will tell you the same thing. Now I have another Vector M 348 where I still have a reserve PD 160 and a Katana 170. Again, you have the perfect fit.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Got an Icarus reserve 169 which is a standard fit, rigger said it was a good size. I plan on using a Safire2 169 as a main, but right now I have a Parachutes de France Merit 190 packed in it.

The 190 was easy to put in the bag and the container closed easily as well. It doesn't even looks stuffed. The merit 190 is half ZP and is still pretty new.

So I am sure you'll be just fine with any 170 in there :)

Enjoy your Vector!
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

Thanks for your reply. You certainly know that there is a difference between the announced size and the actual one. The packing volume can also varies a lot depending on the use or not of reinforcement tapes, design, type of fabric, type of lines and ....humidity. Years ago Paraflite company introduced parachutes made with lateral construction. They really were packing small for their size but they are not anymore available in sport parachute products.
On Paragear catalog there is a chart for main canopy size and reserve.

According this catalog, generally, Performance Designs parachutes are a bit bigger than advertised. eg. a Sabre 170 is actually a 179 according the PIA standards while the PD 160 reserve is a 174. On the other hand a Stiletto 150 is a real 150. The Safire 169 is an actual 169 and most of the Safire have the announced size which is the real one.
I am glad your Merit 190 fits well in the 348 size Vector. I would really like that a universal standard system be established for parachute volume. The PIA should do it for all parachutes made.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

This thread has put me at ease. I have a V348 and was concerned about fitting my Safire 189 (which from what I hear is actually a 175ish due to the 8% size difference.) I ordered it off of Square1 and it should be here in a week. I've heard so many different things about pack volume. Fingers crossed. please fit please fit please fit. LOL