RMURRAY

Flying in turbulence (was: Fatality - Deland, FL)

Meh -

With my stiletto (elliptical modern type) it seems full flight (keep it moving) helps me cut through choppy air with the least issues. Speed is my friend.

With my maverick (less modern design, rectangle, 7 cell F111), it seems that quarter or a bit more brakes helps me better. Keep the nose open and the cells inflated.

I used to own a Pegasus a long time ago - some brakes helped there too to keep "most" of the cells inflated at any one time - even in calm conditions..:P

For all of those, maintaining inflation (rigidity) of the airfoil is my big concern. "keeping it flying" means different things to different canopies.

I don't have an airlock canopy, but I'd think that those would be more reliable in terms of rigidity of shape - so that maintaining clean lift would be more important. Again, I'd 'guess' that speed continues to be my friend there too.

I'd 'typically' tend to think that speed is good for a "RAM-AIR" anything.

But that said, specifically, it would have to depend on the design of the canopy foil, the design of the intakes (nose), and flying style, etc.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The pressure on the top of the canopy aft of the thickest point is reduced to less than ambient. This pressure reduction is caused by the flow of the air over the top surface, and the differential of this flow from the flow over the bottom surface. When the air mass is encountered by an airfoil it divides at what is known as the stagnation point. From here some of the air goes over the top of the canopy and some of it goes below the canopy. The air going over the top is accelerated, ‘cause it has to go further, to keep up with the air going under the bottom. The further the air goes the greater the pressure reduction. This pressure gradient is called the “Boundary Layer”.

And here I thought this fairytale principle that the air molecules moving over the top and bottom of a wing had to magically "meet up" exactly somehow after, like they had a date for coffee -- making excuses for being late, due to velocity and pressure, etc. -- had been debunked years ago :S.

Thanks, Samurai136, for reinforcing everything I learned in college physics, and for helping my really smart friends that are trying to help me 'get' flight.

Seriously.

:)-D