MattM

XM Radio

We have sirius. Seemed to offer more, and ALL of the stations are commercial free.

Either way, you can't go wrong with satellite radio.

Corporate Radio sucks.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

XM is in addition to all the other functions of your stereo. Everything else still works - AM, FM, CD player, etc.. XM is just an additional audio channel.

If you have an XM ready receiver(look on the front, it will say if it is) you can just buy a receiver that mounts somewhere under your dash and an antenna. The deck(the stereo unit in your dash) will control the receiver. If it is not XM ready, you can buy a stand alone unit like Delphi that connects to your stereo in one of several different ways.

Check out....

XM Radio Introduction and...

Delphi

Mike

I just bought it today. I am totally impressed!! The comdey channels and the news channels ROCK!!!

I havent had much time to play with it, but so far I am very very happy!

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Chuck - and others who have XM - how's the line out on the receiver? I've observed only one XM radio receiver and the line out voltage/volume was horrid.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

May sound like an advertisement but....

I just bought the "Roady" for XM. I travel all the time and needed something that was truely mobile. The Roady was the smallest and you can get a combo power/fm modulator. I bought a little ac to dc converter so I can plug it into the wall and now when I'm on the road I can just plug it in to the car and at the hotel (I use a little fm stereo headset in the motel)... I had to order the damn remote so I can change the channel and surf without getting up. If I didn't travel so much I would have invested in the Delphi Skyfi reciever and optional componets.
I was really interested in Sirius but XM has better choice of talk radio which I really like on long road trips, not to mention that XM music is now commercial free too.

Both Sirius and XM are great, each has some things the other doesn't... go to the websites for both and compare the lineups and see who has more of what you want.

Sirius has a nice offer of "Lifetime" subscription --- However that is for the lifetime of the RECIEVER you activate the account with. So if the equipment lasts for 20 years great... if it goes to crap in a year or 2... you are screwed.

Damn... that was long little speil
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

Chuck - and others who have XM - how's the line out on the receiver? I've observed only one XM radio receiver and the line out voltage/volume was horrid.

-
Jim

I don't really get your question, Jim, but I will answer what I think you are asking. Katie's, run through an RF modulator, has a bit of a "whir" when she speeds up, but I am sure that's because the power was run right off the ignition. Volume cranks up just fine. No idea about any other line-out voltage issues.

It was more of a volume issue when connected to a BOSE Wave radio. The radio had to be cranked to around 70 to get much sound in a small office. That same radio, if cranked to 70 or so playing a CD would have been heard by the entire floor. Does that make sense?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

It was more of a volume issue when connected to a BOSE Wave radio. The radio had to be cranked to around 70 to get much sound in a small office. That same radio, if cranked to 70 or so playing a CD would have been heard by the entire floor. Does that make sense?

There is a "Line Out" volume adjustment on the Delphi(I'm assuming that's what it was since it was in an office). It comes pre-set to about 40%...way low. I cranked it to 100%, so the volume is the same whether I'm on radio, XM, or CD.

I have my XM piped into the Aux channel on my trucks CD player. The Aux channel is mainly for remote CD changers, but there are adapters to go from that type of plug to RCA. I have absolutely no background noise in mine...sounds just as if I were playing a CD. The RF modulators have some background noise issues in some types of cars...usually associated with engine RPM.

Mike