billvon

And for today's daily grind . . .

. . . I was testing out that satellite data system I designed on our new jet, a Global Express. Pictures attached. San Diego to Phoenix in about 30 minutes.

I'd say a bit over 30 minutes...it normally takes us 45 or so for the same flight(did it yesterday, actually). Speed limits on the arrival into Phoenix, plus the departure out of San Diego takes you over Catalina and LAX(usually they make you fly damn near the entire departure, sometimes they give ya shortcuts).

What is the sat system for? Is it for communications primarily, or is it a one way system(receive only)?

The Global is a sweet airplane. I was offered a job flying one a few months ago, but the owner is a prick and the pilots normally spend 320-330 days a year away from home...:S

Mike

> plus the departure out of San Diego takes you over Catalina and LAX. . .

Gillespie, in our case.

>What is the sat system for? Is it for communications primarily, or is it a one way system(receive only)?

Two way high speed data for internet communications and cockpit web cameras.

Cool. Why the webcams in the cockpit? I just hope that the cams don't have integrated microphones....some interesting conversations can come up in the cockpit on a long flight.. :S

Mike

Cool. Why the webcams in the cockpit? I just hope that the cams don't have integrated microphones....some interesting conversations can come up in the cockpit on a long flight.. :S

Mike

In Bills last photo it looks like the pilot might be taking a break. A wbcam might be a good idea:P

R.I.P.

In Bills last photo it looks like the pilot might be taking a break. A wbcam might be a good idea

A break?! Looks to me like they are both diligently monitoring the autopilot.. B|

I think they probably are on their best behavior now that they know there's a webcam there.. :D

Mike

>Cool. Why the webcams in the cockpit?

As part of a security system following 9/11.

So is this just a thing for your company....or something you guys are designing for airline use? I am adamantly against cameras in the cockpit unless they record to a unit(like a CVR does) that will be used in accident investigation. Having cameras that transmit is dangerous, IMO. Even if everything is encrypted, it can be broken. That would just allow criminals to SEE what goes on, study it, and find weaknesses.

Mike

>Cool. Why the webcams in the cockpit?

As part of a security system following 9/11.

So is this just a thing for your company....or something you guys are designing for airline use? I am adamantly against cameras in the cockpit unless they record to a unit(like a CVR does) that will be used in accident investigation. Having cameras that transmit is dangerous, IMO. Even if everything is encrypted, it can be broken. That would just allow criminals to SEE what goes on, study it, and find weaknesses.

-Not to mention the fact that they'd catch you on tape picking your nose...:o:ph34r::P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.