skyravn67

When the plane goes down...

It was a beautiful sunny day, warm, with a slight breeze. The weather had been lousy for almost a month. We were going to do just a quick four thousand foot hop and pop to air out. Four good friends were together for a quiet afternoon of skydiving. I don’t remember the crash. I don’t even remember being scared. Suddenly, a paramedic was screaming at me, just inches from my face. My name, my age and the date were gone from my immediate memory. Panic and fear set in. There was pain. I couldn’t move my back or my right leg. My face was hot and felt like it was burning. They were trying to cut my rig off. I had my fingers gripped tightly around the webbing. A fireman tried to peel my fingers back one by one, but then someone else just cut below my handles and then chopped off both leg straps. There was no memory of what happened. Frantic people were all around me. I was strapped down to a backboard as two guys forced my arm straight and with great difficulty managed to get an IV in my arm. Apparently, I was slightly uncooperative. They kept asking me questions that I didn’t know the answers to. I couldn’t remember. I didn’t know how I got there. I didn’t remember the skydive. Was I hurt on landing? What went wrong? I heard the helicopter land and knew that it was bad. I wondered if any one else was hurt or worse. They drugged me, partly for pain and partly for restraints. Dale was there. I saw him. He told them my name. Everyone else was okay. The plane crashed. Part of it was coming back to me. I remember taking off and then the engine went silent. Dale looked back at me and that’s the last thing I could remember. Then they loaded me into the helicopter. I was surrounded by strangers and suddenly felt very alone and scared. The tears started as we lifted off. A female paramedic on LifeFlight held my hand because I couldn’t stop shaking. The next few hours were blurry. I blurted out my age because I suddenly remembered it at one point. At the hospital ER they cut off my clothes and kept me in restraints. X-rays and CT scans were taken. Some friends came in and out. I didn’t know how bad I looked. Dale was there again. I finally knew my name and they kept trying to put the wrong last name on my wristband. He corrected them for me. I asked him to call my dad.

The days since my accident have been difficult. Everyone says how lucky I am. I have some fractured vertebrae, a busted ankle and my face was scratched up. All things that can heal with time. I have been surrounded and supported by my family and friends. I am happy to be alive, but I am struggling with pain that isn’t physical in nature. It seems that my world has changed drastically in those few seconds. My future in skydiving is in question. I don’t know if physically I can continue or mentally, if I should. I look at the pieces of my once beautiful mirage and don’t even know if I should send it in to get repaired or just sell what’s left. In all the accident scenarios that I had ever thought might, could or would happen, a plane crash was never one of them. Dale was the pilot that day. I have been to the crash site and have seen the plane. He did everything right. We are all alive because of the way he handled the plane and the situation.

I wrote this post in part to just talk about it and secondly, as a reminder. Safety day is approaching and I would strongly encourage everyone to review aircraft crash emergency procedures thoroughly and have pilots “Know your terrain and where you will go every second of your flight path if you have an engine failure”. –diverdriver

Thank you to all my skydiving friends who have sent me messages of concern. I appreciate all of your cards, flowers and gifts.

~Doc Cari

I'm so sorry. I was in an off field landing (aka crash) a while back in a 182 as well. Although we got really lucky, it was still emotional.

*hug*

Feel free to post and talk, we'll listen.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Damn Cari. That's quite a story. So very happy to hear you're still with us and asking us to think ahead.

Oh, and BEERS for your first post! Welcome!!!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Whoa.

Don't worry about skydiving for now. Plenty of time to decide if you want to jump again once the physical pain goes away.

A friend of mine was the only survivor of a jump plane crash a few years ago. He's jumping again. I can get you his contact information if you'd like to talk with someone who's been through the same thing; send me a PM if you're interested.

I'm buying the beer for your first post here.

Doc,
That is one gripping story. I thank you for sharing it. I wish you the best in your recovery, and I hope you find the strength, courage and passion to get back to skydiving and enjoying that freedom as I'm sure you did before the crash.

(I was particularly touched where you mention the paramedic comforting you, and your friends being nearby to see how you were. Those are compelling mental images.)

Peace,
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Hi Doc

Glad to hear how your doing. We were concerned about your recovery

We've known some peope (wife included) that got injuried in various types of accidents.I'm not a DR but we found out that there are two types of injuries that can occur in a accident. Physical and emotional. Some people suffer from both.

The emotional injury can take longer to heal than the physical one. If you feel the need to talk to someone don't hestitat to seek help. It could help speed you recovery.

Your pilot did a great job. We've lost a number of friends in similar situations due to pilot error. Might help to remember it could have been a lot worse.:)
R.I.P.

I'm sorry to hear about the crash and your injuries. Prayers for you to heal, physically and emotionally, quickly. (((HUGS))) and {{{{{{VIBES)))))))
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

It's comforting to know that the emotional aspect is "normal" in these situations. There are so many thoughts and concerns running through my head all at once. I go from depressed to angry and then just confused.

Yeah it's quite normal... heck, it's a near-death! Quite a story, glad you are able to tell it personally. Like the bytch said, don't worry about the skydiving right now... you've got other things to focus on.

Vibes you to for a speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing the experience with your fellow jumpers.

blues,
Nick

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Thanks so much for sharing your story - happy you are able to....Yet another reason we are just plane lucky to have Sangiro and the people that help keep these forums up and running. You just never know when you need an "out" .

Speedy recovery my friend!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

Doc,
Welcome to the forums, heck it only took a plane crash to get you here.

I am so glad that you are okay. As for the skydiving, don't worry about that yet. You have a wonderful support system out there, especially with Keith. I remember the first time I meet you, how impressed I was with the strength you showed me. This little tiny gal, so determined to jump with the big boys. We did a few jumps together, and you were catching on like a natural. That's cause you never gave up. You own your own vet clinic, heck that in itself is a big commitment that only a strong person could make. Last year you came back to WFFC to jump with me and show me what your learned. Wow, is all I can say. Because of your strength you are one super flyer.

They say that dynamite comes in small packages. My guess is they were talking about you.
Big hugs and lots of love,
Mar
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

WOW! What a story. I was not only touched by your courage, but your skill with the English language. Your prose is powerful stuff. I hope you are in the middle of writing a novel.

Glad that you're almost OK. Vibes to you. Plenty of time to heal.

---> One Half of Almost Nearly Normal <---

Mar,

Ever since I met you, you have been a mentor, inspiration and friend. Thank you for the compliments and support. It has meant a great deal to me.

I want to thank everyone for their concern and vibes. I didn't know what to expect when I posted this, but it has helped me more than I could have imagined.

I had a long talk with my best friend this evening and he put it all in perspective for me. It is going to take some time, but I will heal from this and I will jump again. Everything happens for a reason and I have to believe that in the long run, I will be stronger for it.

Peace and Blue Skies to all,
~Doc
Doc

:(:(:(

wow... im sorry...

Hope you get to feeling better fast... remember... tulsa is only a 2 hour drive(well 3 1/2 if I dont want a ticket :P) for me... so im not that far off..

I know how bad you must feel... I "used" to climb towers for the wireless internet company I worked for.... I broke two bones in my foot on one.... I havent gone back up..[:/] Thats was in november of last year.

Get to feeling better soon!!

*edit for my l33t spelling skills.(you all will get used to seeing this :P)

I'm so sorry that you've had this experience. Thanks for sharing it with us, and reminding us all of how quickly things can go bad. Take care of yourself-- let others take care of you, and try not to worry too much. You'll have plenty of time to iron out the details later. Here's to your speedy recovery-- physically and emotionally.