wildjump

Tandem Main Slinks

We've been using PD reserve slinks for Tandem mains for years without issue. I sent a Sigma canopy back to PD recently for a major repair. It was on risers with slinks. PD said that they don't recommend slinks and would not put them back on. What gives? UPT stated a long time ago that Reserve slinks for the main were OK. I changed back to French links anyway. What are other riggers doing? I thought slinks were stronger. We change them about every 500 jumps.

It was my understanding that there could be a problem with the control lines binding with the large slink and the slider grommet. So the only recent main that the company formerly known as RWS would allow with Slinks was an EZ-384 with a 6-grommet slider.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On one canopy, the cat eye seems to get hung up in the slider grommet when turning. This is because the slider grommet rests on top of the slinks and lines. There is very little room left and the cat eye has trouble getting through the grommet. We solved this with good slider bumpers. Any one else using slinks?

Heat. It's about the heat that is generated by the slider grommets as the slider descends and eventually rest on the slinks and lower lines that can cause problems. It would be wise to follow PD's advice.YMMV.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It would seem that slider bumpers would take care of the concerns mentioned, keeping the grommets well above the slink. Since you shouldn't have a metal link without a bumper, it isn't any bigger burden. Too bad they don't make the nice hat-bumpers in a size to fit wide risers.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Still, we should prevent slider grommets from hitting metal links, so why isn't it just as logical to simply prevent the slider grommets from touching the soft links? It isn't that hard to do.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

"

... I changed back to French links anyway...

"

I hope you installed stainless steel Maillon Rapide number 6 links, because this grumpy, old, grey-bearded Master Rigger can think of at least three other patterns of "French links."

The last type of "French links" you should use - on a tandem - are Parachutes de France soft links introduced circa 1996, because they will suffer the same wear pattern.