ACMESkydiver

Laid off. Downsized. Displaced. Freakin' ditched.

Been there. I am sorry. Just remember God never lets someone close a door on you without Him first opening a window;). There is an opportunity there for you somewhere.

Honestly I just had to hang tough adn rely on help from friends while I continued to look. In the end it all worked out.

Although, I must admit, at first, I enjoyed a few weeks off:D.

I was laid off from my job in Los Angeles. Actually, when I went to tell my boss about my plans to leave, he informed me that he had been meaning to speak to me about laying me off. He just hadn't found the heart to tell me.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

In answer to Quade's query - in WA state, any company that employs over 50 people is obligated BY LAW to give at least 60 DAYS NOTICE of a layoff.

Hey Mark...more than 100 other people that got their notices were at about 3 weeks...they're nation wide, but I wonder if WA has that law, if any other states do too?
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Been there. I am sorry. Just remember God never lets someone close a door on you without Him first opening a window;).

Oh geez...someone stop me....I can't help it!!!

Naw, this time God needs to open a "D O O R!!!!" for me! Knees in the breeze will help. :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Consider health care. The first wave of Boomers are all about to retire, and the health care system is going to grow huge soon.

This -used- to be a sure thing until a rude awakening back in 1998 when "someone" in the White House decided to re-organize Medicare. It was cut so severely that the elders of our nation got their benefits cut by almost 1/2...thus the closing of many service providers.

Yes, the Boomers are getting up there in years (thanks for reminding me how old I am ;^) ), but I'm afraid that as the numbers rise, so equally the benefits will drop.

I hope not, but it's already happening (at least in my line of work).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

In answer to Quade's query - in WA state, any company that employs over 50 people is obligated BY LAW to give at least 60 DAYS NOTICE of a layoff.

Hey Mark...more than 100 other people that got their notices were at about 3 weeks...they're nation wide, but I wonder if WA has that law, if any other states do too?

For California's Labor Code. Have fun!

I read it 4 years ago to be able to file against my then current employer. And won! :^)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

This -used- to be a sure thing until a rude awakening back in 1998 when "someone" in the White House decided to re-organize Medicare.

Medicare and Social Security are paid for by a deduction from an employees check. If the jobs are not in the US, neither is the check.

As more jobs move overseas, the Social Security system will become more underfunded and eventually crumble.

Yeah, it's really cool the first couple of months:)

I am supposed to hear about a 6 month contract job tomorrow. Of course that is to document a companies manufacturing processes so they can move it to Mexico, I am sure I will be loved in that plant.>:(

It's good for the economy. The President said so just yesterday - I heard it on the radio.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't do sound bite politics John. The issues about "American" jobs are much more complex than what most would like to believe. Many policies affecting us today started in the Clinton administration. I'm not bashing Clinton just pointing it out. Many democrats voted for the agreements that today they want to blame on Bush. I do not believe that this administration has been as strong on defending out position in the world as you might gather from my statements below.

Lower wages are not the only issue, and all jobs do not leave the U.S. Take IL for example, and Rockford in particular. The current unemployment rate is 5.6%. The same as it was under Clinton when he pronounced theat we had the strongest economy ever. However here it is 11.2%, because we are a heavy manufacturing community. Many of the jobs here are not going out of the U.S. just to neighboring states where there is a more friendly business environment. Better tax incentives, less legal backing of unions that demand exorbident benefit and wage packages and are protected by the state from defending their position.

Also from a macro position the overhead costs need to be examined. One of my beefs is the way that our country has to pay the largest portion of the funding to support the U.N. Since the government is not a producer of goods or services these funds come from tax dollars generated from individuals and companies. Many of the countries that "our" jobs are going to are now generating more GDP in their economies but have not seen a related increase in their obligation to the U.N. Therefore as a result our nations per capita (as an individual counry member) contribution increases as the others go down. There are many issues such as this that affect our overall cost structures. This is what plays into a corporations decision to move jobs. Most companies would really not prefer to build, move, train just to get back to a level of efficiency and quality that they have already attained.

If people really want to stick their heads in the sand and believe that other countries having strong economies is not good for the U.S. that is their right. The thing to remember is that as their economies develop they need more goods also. They do not have the infrastructure to support that growth, we do, and that is where our growth comes from, what we export, and they will need it.

I accept my current position as I chose to be a mamager in the industrial sector. I do not blame the government, nor the companies that released per se. My decision to be in the field that I am is as much a cause of my circumstances as anything. That is my personal responsibility perhaps I should be considering a different field of endeavour, but I like what I do when I am working.
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."