devarona

Painting a container

...makes about as much sense as painting your pecker....:S

Yeah.. bringing art into the world makes absolutely no sense at all. I mean why add to color to already colorful sport? It has enough color. What everybody should do is just buy basic black gear because we're such a drab and creatively challenged group of people. [/sarcasm] :S[:/]

Don't click on the following image if you are easily offended by nudity.
http://www.altnation.com/forums/attachments/tattoos-piercings-chat/6900d1021491329-warning-photo-tattooed-penis-here-penisdragon.jpg

Dude, that looks like alot of pain on your willie.B|

That ain't MY willie! LOL :D

it has nothing to do with art,,,its a mechanical device used to house and release your chutes,,,,why try painting it? you can't be artistic enough with embriodery or other sewing options ? Thats in the family of the Harley guys that have Harly panties sox,shoes,shirts,jackets,hats,sunglasses yet don't own a bike......:P

Ah... so what you're really trying to say is why consider it when I don't even own a rig right now. OK. Well I guess I can't argue that. :(B|

I do own a banjo. You can look at that for now.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/Fishmonger_707/mybanjo.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had an old fadded rig that I was thinking of dying, called the manufacturer for their advice and was quickly informed that if they ever saw such a thing they would instantly ground the rig and render it unusable.

I bet you would get similiar results from the other manufacturers as well.

So, what color did you dye it?

lol, yeah it is still faded hot pink. The wife jumped it for a while with out too much of an issue, but man the guys give me shit when I would strap it on for a jump.

Painting - cosmetic - Pop-Top covers is one thing.
The cosmetic cover could completely disintegrate and the reserve would still open fine.

But the last time a painted (shoe dye) Talon arrived at Rigging Innovations, Sandy Reid, said: "Since we do not have a clue which chemicals were used, this rig was never here. We never saw it. We will not do any repairs on it. We will not do any updates. This rig was never here."

I do own a banjo. You can look at that for now.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/Fishmonger_707/mybanjo.jpg

Man, that's pretty nice.

If it doesn't hurt the rig, go for it.

By the way, the banjo art was done with a sharpie on the inside of the head so it won't get damaged by picking and it's so thin it doesn't change the tone at all.

IF I painted a rig I'd just airbrush it with water based acylic fabric paints. Completely non-toxic. No solvents whatsoever. Seal it with Scotch-Guard for easy cleaning.

IF I painted a rig I'd just airbrush it with water based acylic fabric paints. Completely non-toxic. No solvents whatsoever. Seal it with Scotch-Guard for easy cleaning.

Will that stuff hold up under extreme heat, like a car trunk?
Will it bleed through the fabric and stick the canopy to the inside of the container flaps?

Will that stuff hold up under extreme heat, like a car trunk?

The extreme heat will likely help "set" the paint. this would be a very good thing. In fact the paint should be "heat set" either with a hot iron (put a towel over the painted surface first) or in a commercial dryer before attaching the canopies and packing/jumping it.

Will it bleed through the fabric and stick the canopy to the inside of the container flaps?

No.
Airbrushed fabric paint is very thin yet still opaque. You'll see a lot of t-shirts sprayed with this type of color. It doesn't bleed at all. ZERO. Not even through the thin fabric of a t-shirt unless it's sprayed heavily. The flaps of a container are much much heavier than a T.

There are a lot of different kinds of fabric paints out there. Here is one kind that would be ideal. http://www.dickblick.com/products/jacquard-textile-colors/

Notice that ALL of the work Rickerby did was either on a POP TOP cap or on a pin cover flap. None in the gallery or that I ever saw was on a part of the container that was critical, reserve flaps, main flaps, harness. And none spanned across two peices of fabric. Pop Tops were replaceble in the field.

You could probably get away with Pop Tops, pin protector flaps, mud flaps on the front, Leg strap pads. That's about it. Anything else is an alteration and would need FAA approval. And testing data to prove the pigments in the paint didn't do anything to the nylon. A hurdle you'll probably never be able to meet.

Even without that, remember you would be trying to get multiple pieces of fabric to line up. All the time. It wouldn't happen and there may very well be wrinkles. So while it might look good once. It may never look right again.

Here is the positive suggestion....

Here is what you MIGHT be able to do. Paint on the parts I listed above, but get them from the manufacturer FIRST. Paint them, send them pack for construction. Then you wouldn't have to worry about damage to critical parts. On container flaps, you might be able to paint an OVERLAY piece of material. There have been some special rigs made with odd ball materials, leather, fur, etc. But they were mostly overlaid over normal nylon flaps. So, your painting would be on a piece of fabric that was used to construct a double layer over the normal flap.

But you would want to keep your design to something that didn't bridge across flaps. Either separate scences or something else that didn't matter if it lined up. Or be ready to accept no perfect registration both from the construction and from each pack job.

Ordering a blank canvass and having at it? Need to forget that idea.

BTW I once had a newby customer who bought a navy blue rig in the fall. That winter he took fabric marking pens and turned it black. Not all of the flap and harness.. just the parts you could see.;) So the outside of the webbing was black, the backside was blue. The flaps were black were you could see them. The guy did such a good job that there were no lines or unevenness. Took me a minute to realize what was wrong with the rig. THAT rig was never in the air again.

We're not down on art. And all of the skydivers loved Rickerby's work. But we are down on you ruining (legally) your lifesaving device and making it a wall hanging. It doesn't matter how much you SAY it doesn't hurt the material.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Painting - cosmetic - Pop-Top covers is one thing.
The cosmetic cover could completely disintegrate and the reserve would still open fine.

But the last time a painted (shoe dye) Talon arrived at Rigging Innovations, Sandy Reid, said: "Since we do not have a clue which chemicals were used, this rig was never here. We never saw it. We will not do any repairs on it. We will not do any updates. This rig was never here."

Same thing a few years ago. This one went back without it's TSO label and customer was informed that his Ebay "deal" was not as good as he had thought.

Hi Yoda,

I have an airbrush and thought about spraying some nice celtic artwork on a rig would look very cool.

You could always ask the mfr but I do think that I know what their answer would be. [:/]

Although over the years I have seen a fair number of Pop-Top caps painted.

JerryBaumchen

.....and a lot of flaps, too! :)one guy was responsible for most of the painted pop-tops and flaps that I've seen. (may he RIP:()

Here's a page with a bunch of his work.
http://intervision-djr.com/poptops/rick1poptopsopening.htm

My wife's first rig was an older javelin with one of his paintings on the reserve flap. We had no idea who painted it until one day Orly showed up at the dz and recognized it immediately and told us who did it.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.