devarona

Painting a container

Im thinking of getting a used Vector thats all black and was wondering if anyone has any pictures or have seen a container spray painted before... I saw one that was being sold on the classifieds section. I was wondering if anyone else has done this before and if theres any tips on this matter!

Painting on the container technically can violate the TSO of the gear and make it unairworthy from a rigging perspective. Dyes are the same thing unless it comes out of the factory that way - ESPECIALLY for webbing.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Woah! I didn't expect that. I have an airbrush and thought about spraying some nice celtic artwork on a rig would look very cool. A simple acrylic fabric paint wouldn't damage anything. I figured maybe I'd just order a white rig and customize it the way I wanted to. OOPS!!! :o

Edit: I'm talking about closing flaps and such. Not the webbing itself.

This is just a quick photoshop mock-up but you get the basic idea.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb117/Fishmonger_707/dragon-vector.jpg

FROM A WHITE RIG??

Good luck with that...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hi Yoda,

I have an airbrush and thought about spraying some nice celtic artwork on a rig would look very cool.

You could always ask the mfr but I do think that I know what their answer would be. [:/]

Although over the years I have seen a fair number of Pop-Top caps painted.

JerryBaumchen

FROM A WHITE RIG??

Good luck with that...

Thanks for the wish for luck, Not that you were serious. Actually, starting from white would be the best way to go. Otherwise the green would not pop against black or any other dark color.

Besides, that was just a quick down & dirty kinda example. I may make it all colorful like tattoos. I dunno what I'd do.

But if it violates the TSO, I guess I'd do nothing.

FROM A WHITE RIG??

Good luck with that...

Thanks for the wish for luck, Not that you were serious. Actually, starting from white would be the best way to go. Otherwise the green would not pop against black or any other dark color.

Besides, that was just a quick down & dirty kinda example. I may make it all colorful like tattoos. I dunno what I'd do.

But if it violates the TSO, I guess I'd do nothing.

Not being too sarcastic, but I know I would never be able to pull it off.

Im sure the guys down at UPT would be willing to help you out, but that extra stitching isn't gonna come cheap.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Actually, starting from white would be the best way to go. Otherwise the green would not pop against black or any other dark color.

Pop or no, and TSO issues aside, you really mean to tell me you would order a $3000 Vector III in all white and then airbrush it? That takes commitment for sure. You could never sell it, the first fall you take on landing would screw the whole thing up, and even a different rigger packing the reserve would keep shit from lining up just right.

How about a tasteful, factory colored rig, and maybe an airbrushed jumpsuit? Fancy patterns and stripes are some of the most expensuive options on a jumpsuit, so ordering a plain all-white suit eould actually save you money, and then you could airbrush the shit out of it. Those guys at the mall prove it can be done, and even if you fall down and trash it, you could just get a new one for less than 1/10 the price of a container.

How about just buying some regular stuff and just skydiving?

Actually, starting from white would be the best way to go. Otherwise the green would not pop against black or any other dark color.

Pop or no, and TSO issues aside, you really mean to tell me you would order a $3000 Vector III in all white and then airbrush it? That takes commitment for sure. You could never sell it, the first fall you take on landing would screw the whole thing up, and even a different rigger packing the reserve would keep shit from lining up just right.

How about a tasteful, factory colored rig, and maybe an airbrushed jumpsuit? Fancy patterns and stripes are some of the most expensuive options on a jumpsuit, so ordering a plain all-white suit eould actually save you money, and then you could airbrush the shit out of it. Those guys at the mall prove it can be done, and even if you fall down and trash it, you could just get a new one for less than 1/10 the price of a container.

How about just buying some regular stuff and just skydiving?

I'd give up BOTH my family jewels for some regular stuff so I could just go skydiving. :|

All are valid points Dave. When I think about it, spending huge dollars on pretty gear doesn't make sense. Most rigs don't stay with their first owner for more than 500 to 1000 jumps MAX. And when getting current again, I'll probably want to downsize every 100 or 200 jumps until I get something I'm comfortable with.
That said...
I probably wouldn't order the entire rig in white. Probably just the closing flaps. The rest would be custom colored as any other rig would be.

It's just something to talk about. It's better than politics and religion! lol :D

Hi Yoda,

I have an airbrush and thought about spraying some nice celtic artwork on a rig would look very cool.

You could always ask the mfr but I do think that I know what their answer would be. [:/]

JerryBaumchen

.....and a lot of flaps, too! :)one guy was responsible for most of the painted pop-tops and flaps that I've seen. (may he RIP:()

Hi Yoda,

JerryBaumchen

.....and a lot of flaps, too! :)one guy was responsible for most of the painted pop-tops and flaps that I've seen. (may he RIP:()

Here's a page with a bunch of his work.
http://intervision-djr.com/poptops/rick1poptopsopening.htm

...makes about as much sense as painting your pecker....:S

Yeah.. bringing art into the world makes absolutely no sense at all. I mean why add to color to already colorful sport? It has enough color. What everybody should do is just buy basic black gear because we're such a drab and creatively challenged group of people. [/sarcasm] :S[:/]

Don't click on the following image if you are easily offended by nudity.
http://www.altnation.com/forums/attachments/tattoos-piercings-chat/6900d1021491329-warning-photo-tattooed-penis-here-penisdragon.jpg

I had an old fadded rig that I was thinking of dying, called the manufacturer for their advice and was quickly informed that if they ever saw such a thing they would instantly ground the rig and render it unusable.

I bet you would get similiar results from the other manufacturers as well.

I had an old fadded rig that I was thinking of dying, called the manufacturer for their advice and was quickly informed that if they ever saw such a thing they would instantly ground the rig and render it unusable.

I bet you would get similiar results from the other manufacturers as well.

So, what color did you dye it? :P

it has nothing to do with art,,,its a mechanical device used to house and release your chutes,,,,why try painting it? you can't be artistic enough with embriodery or other sewing options ? Thats in the family of the Harley guys that have Harly panties sox,shoes,shirts,jackets,hats,sunglasses yet don't own a bike......:P

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

...makes about as much sense as painting your pecker....:S

Yeah.. bringing art into the world makes absolutely no sense at all. I mean why add to color to already colorful sport? It has enough color. What everybody should do is just buy basic black gear because we're such a drab and creatively challenged group of people. [/sarcasm] :S[:/]

Don't click on the following image if you are easily offended by nudity.
http://www.altnation.com/forums/attachments/tattoos-piercings-chat/6900d1021491329-warning-photo-tattooed-penis-here-penisdragon.jpg

Dude, that looks like alot of pain on your willie.B|
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama