skybytch

Tired of being tired

Lack of sleep is the root of all evil.

For various reasons, none of which I have much if any control over, for the past month or two I've been averaging 3-5 hours of sleep a night, usually broken up into 2-3 hour chunks with an hour or two of tossing and turning in between. As of today it's been over a week since I've gotten 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep and that night was an exception - prior to that night it'd been a month since I'd slept that good.

I've stopped drinking caffeine after about 4 pm. I'm limiting myself to 2 beers on the evenings I do drink, and I am usually done drinking by 8 pm. I've tried Tylenol PM. I've tried heavy duty muscle relaxants. I've tried various types and dosages of pain meds. I've tried the relaxation techniques that have always worked in the past. I've tried several herbs, one of which is illegal in most places, that have worked in the past. I've tried soft music. I've tried killing kittens. I've tried getting up and reading a book in the living room. I've tried taking the dog for a walk in the evening (exercise is supposed to help you sleep, right?). I've tried eating dinner at different times. I've tried a nice warm shower before going to bed.

Nothing seems to work.

I'm so tired right now I can barely concentrate on anything. And that's after a pot of coffee this morning and three caffeinated sodas since then.

Help...

Cut back on the caffeine. I don't have any after 10am.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

There is no chemical substitute for regular, vigourous exercise.

I had an insomnia problem a few years back. It was bad. Sounded a lot like what you are describing.

I credit 2 things for helping this

1. Less fat in my diet
2. Regular, hard workouts.

Once I made these things part of my daily life I started sleeping 8+ hours a night and felt SOO much better.

This obviously wont help you in the short term, but keep it in mind.

Then do that for a month and report back. It's gonna take time to adjust Lisa.

Not sure I can handle another month of this... but it's worth a try.

Any suggestions on how to keep the headaches away while my body gets used to not having the caffeine?

edit cuz I'm so tired my fingers have gotten fat.

Try cutting ALL caffeine and alchohol. Then do that for a month and report back. It's gonna take time to adjust Lisa.

Going to have to agree here, that was the biggest thing that got me sleeping again...no caffine....and I really dont drink much anyway. Caffine went byebye and sleep came back again.....

I will allow myself caffine in the morning or early afternoon, but nothing after like 2 if at all.....and that is like 1 soda.....
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Any suggestions on how to keep the headaches away while my body gets used to not having the caffeine?

That was the real bitch....I made sure i was drinking lots and lots of water to rehydrate, and if they were bad enough advil....but it only lasted a day or two.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

There is no chemical substitute for regular, vigourous exercise.

Amen. Exercise will promote blood flow to those little capillaries that don't see much action, and it will also help regulate your hormone levels, and help you sleep.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Are you stressed? If so, try writing in a journal an hour before going to bed so that you vent it out and not toss and turn about it all night long.

Another great idea....and to add to this....

I also started working out again....and this has not only been a stress reliever, it has also made my body actually have to do something and need to rest.....I think if we are to sedative, our body doesnt feel the need to sleep....find something and go make your body bust its ass...B| Take a long walk or something....
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Lisa,

When quitting caffeine, don't go cold turkey. . .try limiting to 2 coffees or 2 sodas a day, then one, then 1/2. . .then none. . .you won't get the headache withdrawls that come from quitting cold turkey. And increase your water intake - a minimum of 64 oz of water per day.

Hopefully, that will help. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Gotta grit it out with the headaches Lisa. I had them bad just like anyone else. But now that I don't drink caffeine except maybe once every few days I feel so much better and don't get withdrawl headaches. But you gotta go clean for awhile to adjust. Drink water, and get into doing runs if you can or walks at least. Make them a daily thing and don't put it off. And when your body stops trying to hord water cuz of the caffeine you may even lose weight. Some people have experienced this after getting off the caffeine.

Lisa,

When quitting caffeine, don't go cold turkey. . .try limiting to 2 coffees or 2 sodas a day, then one, then 1/2. . .then none. . .you won't get the headache withdrawls that come from quitting cold turkey. And increase your water intake - a minimum of 64 oz of water per day.

Hopefully, that will help. . .

Right, but take most of the water early in the day. You dont want your bladder waking you up after you finally got to sleep ;)

bytch... i am the queen of insomnia. :D

i've gotten all the advice in the world and very little ever works. i've been prescribed insomnia meds before, but they eventually stop working and then i stop taking them and then it gets worse.

my latest find, thanks to a post in the women's forum i made on this, was kava kava tea before bed. try it. it HELPS!

so, when i get bad, this is what i do for a bedtime routine... hot bath with lavender oil by limited candle light. then climb into bed with a long book (no short magazine articles or anything) and a cup of kava kava. read till your eyes are heavy. drop the book, kill the light, and relax.

insomnia blows. good luck. :P

I've tried Tylenol PM. I've tried heavy duty muscle relaxants. I've tried various types and dosages of pain meds. I've tried the relaxation techniques that have always worked in the past. I've tried several herbs, one of which is illegal in most places, that have worked in the past.

Hell- what does your doctor say??
You need help so bad....

Like you - pain killers keep me wide awake (opposite of what they are supposed to do)...especially T3's with codiene- muscle relaxers- smokin the herb also wakes me up or makes me active for hours....

I fight not to sleep in the day regardless of how shitty sleep was the night before- get loads of exercise to the point of sweat and exhastion-
great sex puts me to sleep like a babe-
hot baths also help-

good luck- keep asking for help until you get answers-

SMiles;)

dont stop the caffeine cold turkey. i had migraines for a week when i did that. slowly ease off of it over a 2 week period or so. if you do it cold turkey you're gonna add a lot more unwanted effects to your sleep deprivation. while you're easing off the next few weeks dont have any caffeine after about 11am. in the evening what always helps me is a hot shower or bath, then once i got in bed i did breathing relaxation therapy. read about it a book at the doctor's office lol. im always asleep before i even finish the exercises
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

Exercise and eat right.

Walking is about the only exercise I can do right now; at least one of the discs in my neck has issues with me and I'm afraid to do anything that might make it worse. I'll be taking my dog for a walk every evening from now on.

Strangely enough for me I have been eating stuff that is good for me since I moved into my new place. Eliminated the fast food and most of the "crap" food, getting lots of protein and taking vitamins.

Doctor visit is out of the question at the moment since I have no medical insurance and no money.

Thanks for all the advice gang. Much appreciated.

Having gone a couple of years living off of anywhere from two to five hours of sleep a night, trying everything under the sun and eventually different meds, I was prescribed Trazadone which is to be taken about 30 minutes before going to bed. I understand it's a type of antidepressant, but is good for what you are experiencing also. Since taking it, I'll average six to seven hours of uninterrupted sleep. Something you might want to think about if nothing else works.

I've stopped drinking caffeine after about 4 pm. I'm limiting myself to 2 beers on the evenings I do drink, and I am usually done drinking by 8 pm. I've tried Tylenol PM. I've tried heavy duty muscle relaxants. I've tried various types and dosages of pain meds. I've tried the relaxation techniques that have always worked in the past. I've tried several herbs, one of which is illegal in most places, that have worked in the past. I've tried soft music. I've tried killing kittens. I've tried getting up and reading a book in the living room. I've tried taking the dog for a walk in the evening (exercise is supposed to help you sleep, right?). I've tried eating dinner at different times. I've tried a nice warm shower before going to bed.

Nothing seems to work.

You mention herbs, but not melatonin (natural hormone). Lots of folks highly recommend - have you tried it? Not just sleep, but really deep sleep - lots of vivid dreams.

I can't say how it will work for you, but I haven't been eaten by the clown yet. . .