kevin922

TSA... priceless

Regardless of what that idiotic TSA letter says, DO NOT label the outermost bag as "PARACHUTE." Do you really want to draw more attention from those idiots screeners in the red jackets?

Keep it by itself and in your sight. Put it in the overhead across the aisle, not over your head. Put it in another bag if you can to avoid a passenger or screener grabbing it by that convenient silver handle.

I flew out of LAX Monday. I checked my rig and had no problems when we told them its parachutes. We were asked to step to the side in case they needed to open it, after it goes through the machine. The TSA lady was very nice and said there were new SOP's for parachutes, which include NOT CUTTING ANYTHING.

She said it was a new procedure - obviously the "memo" on the new SOP for parachutes was not distributed as promptly as we all thought.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I flew out of LAX Monday. I checked my rig and had no problems when we told them its parachutes. We were asked to step to the side in case they needed to open it, after it goes through the machine. The TSA lady was very nice and said there were new SOP's for parachutes, which include NOT CUTTING ANYTHING.

She said it was a new procedure - obviously the "memo" on the new SOP for parachutes was not distributed as promptly as we all thought.

Judy

Another example of what USPA is doing for us! I know Ed Scott is very serious about these TSA issues. We all owe him thanks for his work on government issues. It won't prevent all instances of whackiness but he does get results. And it seems his contacts with the TSA are better than they ever were with the FAA. Seems these memos get sent out very quickly after an incident like this to further clarify what is going on.

Good on him!
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Yeah, most of the Thousands Standing Around [I like that] aren't too terrible [I wish a few of them would do more], but there's always that one that will get you when you're not on your guard.

I treat my rig like my life because, well, my life does depend on it.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Why do we never assume that the TSA guy who did this wasn't just being an a**hole and isn't proudly boasting how he wrecked the most expensive piece of luggage of all his friends?

As long as well all know that's the potential quality of the federal employees handling our rigs, I'm cool with whatever excuse you've got to offer.

Maybe he was one in a thousand. Just remember another "one" may be handling your rig next.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Or maybe some of these top notch feds didn't bother to read it, or remember it.

Last time I went through security I wouldn't tell whether she was speaking English or her native language. I hope she can read english better than she speaks it. Didn't make me feel all that secure.
witty subliminal message
1*

Hello All,

Yup...I'm the guy who had his pin cut. The reason I answered this particular post was to let everyone know I didn't have to jump through any hoops to get reimbursed.

It sucked BIG TIME that my pin got cut. However, the reimbursement process has been pretty painless so far (fingers crossed).

When in Thailand I Emailed USPA. Ed Scott got the ball rolling. As DIVERDRIVER mentioned, Ed is fantastic with his contacts at TSA. His regular contact was travelling but eventually he saw the message and forwarded it. I got an Email the same day the message was forwarded.

I faxed my claim form to the contact at the TSA yesterday (Tuesday 2/24) at about 4:30 PM. Literally seconds after I got the beep that the fax had gone through I got a phone call from one of his associates, calling to confirm some info. At 4:46 PM I got a return fax with a claim number. By 4:52 PM I had an Email from the main contact confirming that my claim had been approved for payment.

When I first spoke to the TSA contact he told me that the approval process would be pretty quick. He also gave me a heads up that the check may take a while. He also mentioned that the TSA takes these incidents very seriously because of the possibility of someone being injured or killed if their parachute's damaged. That may be the reason for the memo JLMIRACLE mentions that was referenced on Monday. Remember, this happened back on January 20.

My total claim was for $124.23 (USD) ($55 for the repack and $69.23 for the reserve handle). I had a receipt for the handle but not the repack. I sent them copies of invoices for previous repacks to show that $55 was not unreasonable. $50 is what I usually pay for a repack.

While in Bangkok I found someone with a replacement handle and a rigger to inspect and repack everything before the mass jump into Bangkok. So, I was able to have my own gear for the entire World Team '04 event. I was very appreciative that the rigger didn't try to take me for everything I had. I had a friend who had a cutaway at a boogie and was charged an "Emergency Boogie Repack Rate" of $75.

My main goal and the reason for my original post on the Ranch website and the various posts on dropzone.com is to get the information out so people can avoid what happened to me. I think Kevin has done a good job with his website to help spread the word.

I also think this would make a good topic to cover briefly during Safety Day. If anyone wants copies of the pictures for a Safety Day presentation or general discussion just Email me at: [email protected].

I don't think parachute inspection is the first thing they teach new TSA trainees. Also, I'm sure not many know what one looks like until they see one for the first time. So, anything we can do to make the process easier (carrying a copy of the TSA bulletin, packing weights seperately, carrying cypress cards, etc., etc) will help. Also, if you read the memo, there is nothing that says they can't make you open the reserve, just that you have to be present and assist. So, be polite and refer to the bulletin or ask for a supervisorif necessary.

FYI:
I'm not making excuses for the inspectors that cut my pin. They were clearly in the wrong and this whole thing could have been avoided if they just followed procedures and paged me. However, I believe what probably caused them to open the bag was the fact that I placed my weight belt under the rig in the gearbag. Also, at Newark (EWR) terminal C, you carry your checked bags to the TSA screening area. I handed my bags to the screener and proceeded to the terminal area. I should have waited and watched them screen it.

What really sucks is that when I got to the security check point for the terminal area I knew the guy working the metal detector. He used to work behind the counter at the airport where I got my Private Pilot license. He remembered me being a skydiver. I would not have had a problem with the rig there. However, the main reason I checked the rig was because I didn't know what to expect when I transferred in Tokyo.

Blue Skies and Happy (Pin Intact) Travelling,
Scott

I had a friend who had a cutaway at a boogie and was charged an "Emergency Boogie Repack Rate" of $75.

Can't say for sure, but something to consider here is whether or not the rigger is also packing mains. If I am asked by a DZO to be a packer on a given weekend, I will charge a higher rate for repacks for two reasons. 1. In that situation the DZ's student operation depends on me getting mains packed and 2. I can pack a lot of mains in the time it takes me to do one repack, especially if it was not last repacked by me, so it's only fair that I charge the equivalent of the forgone revenue.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I can pack a lot of mains in the time it takes me to do one repack, especially if it was not last repacked by me,

Do you change your packing procedures depending on who last packed the reserve?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

yes. If I was the last person to pack the rig, I can check my records and to find out some info about the rig that saves time and I generally don't go crawling around inside a canopy I've already inspectred in the past year unless I have reason to suspect internal damage.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

:o:o:o:o:o

That's HORRIBLE!!!!

No that's sensible.

I do a very thorough check of container, bridle, freepag, reserve pilot chute, risers, toggles, lines, line attachment points, external surface of the canopy, ect. everytime I do a repack. However, I only crawl into the cells on inital inspection and then once a year if I continue to pack that rig, or I have reason to suspect that canopy might have suffered internal damage(terminal openings, immersion, unusual damage to the container, ect.). The reason for this is that the oils in your hair and skin are not exactly great for nylon. Since the reserve is a lifesaving device, I can't, in my mind, justify an action that harms the reserve when all indications are that nothing has changed. Note that I said when nothing has changed, if I have reason to suspect something has changed, be it a terminal opening, or simply aging of the system, I will do an in-depth interior inspection.

Bringing this back to the orignal point of my original post. Yes I charge a higher weekend repack rate if I am working on gear that I did not do the last repack on, or rather me working on an unfamilar rig costs more(I charge by the hour on weekends when I am supposed to be packing). This is because if I did do the last repack, not as much time is required. For example, I know the slippage marks on the French links are accurate so that saves having to do the test, I have the reserve closing loop length wrote down so I do not have to measure the old one to fashion the new one(heck I probably already have on fashioned of that legnth if I reguarly work on this rig), I don't have to check part numbers to verify that all the components are the correct ones, I do not have to research the system to see if there are any outstanding SB or AD's, and unless the situation warrants it, I do no do an interior inspection. That shaves 1 - 2 hours off the repack time, which is why it costs less for me to repack a rig I am familiar with.

-Blind

One can at least hope that they didn't realize there was a spring, were leaning carefully over the reserve, and got pilot chute smacked in the face. I know, small revenges ..... doesn't help the rig but at least it is a funny mental image.
It wouldn't hurt you to think like a fucking serial killer every once in a while - just for the sake of prevention