hackish

Will a bag lock slow you down or increase your speed?

Shifting the discussion from the original question of Does A Baglock Stand You Up is an unwitting example of the old aphorism, "If you cannot prove X, then prove Y and pretend it is the same thing".

Huh?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Its kind of like hearing about a flying carpet that flew somewhere the maker thought it shouldn't have been flying, so you hire a sleazeball to demand money because all the flying carpets that maker ever built are defective.
Zing Lurks

Hi Twardo,

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh?

It means if you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with BS. B|

How long you been jumping anyways????? ;)

JerryBaumchen

Doh!....yer right. :S

If the baglock has sufficient drag to stand you up from a stable flat position then it must be applying a fair amount of force to your body. I believe by definition that amount of force sufficient to stand you up would cause you to decelerate, not accelerate even if you were presenting a smaller aerodynamic drag. I haven't spent too much time thinking about all the ifs and buts so this is what my instinct says. It could be entirely wrong.

As for the AAD's data I do believe it could help out here. Any time you're dealing with unknowns the more data available the better.

-Michael

Not necessarily. A lot of people have gone in while thnking TOO MUCH about what happened. If you have altitude (I had a PC in tow on a 3k hop-n-pop and knew I had time because I wasn't at terminal) If you're at terminal, you have 6 or so seconds per 1k feet to think about all this extra 'data' and it could easily kill you. This sport is very simple in a lot of respects. Do what you're trained to do from day one. It isn't a safe sport; things you were originally taught to do might kill you. BUT, there are a lot more dead bodies that DIDN'T do what training taught them than bodies from doing everything right.

If the baglock has sufficient drag to stand you up from a stable flat position then it must be applying a fair amount of force to your body. I believe by definition that amount of force sufficient to stand you up would cause you to decelerate, not accelerate even if you were presenting a smaller aerodynamic drag. I haven't spent too much time thinking about all the ifs and buts so this is what my instinct says. It could be entirely wrong.

Another way of looking at it is how much 'drag' does it take to stand you up 'with nothing out' ?

I can alter my body position with one hand and an extended arm to the point my vertical speed is greatly increased.

Put that drag or more, 6-8 feet above me, with the tops of my shoulders as the attachment point and I'd have to fight to stay flat...not something I would do in an emergency.

I'm interested to know how you think that the data is going to help here other than to just satisfy your interests. Do you really expect to learn somthing from it that you are going to be able to apply to your list of emergency procedures? I'm really curious how it could possibly help?

Accurate information = understanding = safer skydivers. Not sure how you don't get that.

Chuck

If the baglock has sufficient drag to stand you up from a stable flat position then it must be applying a fair amount of force to your body.

Check this CRAZY video for your answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rddYYoHhzjA

:o

The video shows the reality fairly well. When the malfunction is a horseshoe, the victim jumper is still at the same fall rate as the other jumpers. Once the PC is out, he slows down noticably. I don't understand the argument re: this question "the more informed you are, the better jumper you are" The reality is that you need very little information in this situation. All you need to know is that if you don't do something, you will die. This can apply to every single skydive you make: if you don't do something, you will die. (some may argue that your cypres will save you, but you still have to do something IE turn it on, in order to not die)

Once the PC is out, he slows down noticeably.

I don't think he slows noticeably...

He appears to be falling slower than the other guys TRACKING AWAY...and from the camera angle I think the camera man is vertical filming him?

Once the PC is out, he slows down noticeably.

I don't think he slows noticeably...

He appears to be falling slower than the other guys TRACKING AWAY...and from the camera angle I think the camera man is vertical filming him?

It looks like the camera man goes head down at first, but at the end of the video you can see him/her roll back to belly. At this point the camera man and the victim jumper are well above everyone else in the skydive that tracked away (who, if they're any good, should track at less than normal freefall speed anyway). I'd bet that the camera person went to their back during the questionable part of the video, not head down. Most camera guys I know don't know how to fly head-down in camera wings anyway (which I bet he had, filming 4 way)

do not even think about a baglock "slowing" you down. when it happens get rid of it immediately! my first mal was a baglock, I took longer than I should have to react to the situation and before I knew it, I was spinning horizontally. The G forces were pretty extreme and took all my strength to do the cutaway.

A baglock is a high speed malfunction and there is no time to think or debate the issue. I have been there.

KevinO
Chief Instructor
Johannesburg Skydiving Club
South Africa

I survived a bag lock malfunction wanna know the story? Happened on April 1st a several years ago. Wearing video stills ringsite racer and was freeflying no aad. Threw out BOC mounted pilotchute, deployment immediately did'nt feel right, was curious of the mal. Grabbed risers spreading them apart looking up at what appeared to be a baglock. Definately felt as if the fall rate increased. Was stood up a bit but was still on my belly a bit too. Shook the risers and the bag spun like a top. --Easy decision right? Just cutaway and pull the reserve right? Ya, should be.-- As i let go of the risers and go to look for my cutaway handle the lines of my main were like spaghetti strings being blown wildly in my face. hmm. my next question was 'did lines entangle on my camera helmet' in order to survive i'd better clear that kinda problem. So I grab the risers at the 3 rings and slide my hands up the risers spliting them apart which created this sort of hole for my head and helmet to pass by the lines to look at my handles. Cutaway handle was down by my waist reserve handle was near my shoulder. So I did it, cutaway and pulled the reserve. It worked. I did lose altitude awareness once I had fear of line/helmet entanglement. When i cutaway i felt like I was 'going in ' so instead of spending time checking my alti or being totally stable, I pulled the reserve ripcord as soon as I felt the main totally release. Just after the cutaway and reserve ripcord pull I fell onto my back as the reserve was deploying. The reserve opened fast and square with some line twists. My altitude then was just over 1,000ft. I had pulled at 3,500ft. I reacted quickly .I was very glad to have made it. Had I pulled at 2,500ft I could've ended up open just above the dirt or ended up 6ft under. Can you figure out what went wrong? Like more details? Main d bag had black rubber bands for every stow, some people jumped to conclusion blaming the black bands, that was'nt the problem . Pilotchute was set, not the problem. line stows, got totally screwed up during deployment. One side of the tail of the main canopy had gotten pulled through the slider grommet and out of the dbag a little bit. So, why was there slack line, why was the handles in different places. Did I speed up? What really caused the mal? Did I deal with the problem properly? What about freeflying with that rig? Do you remember the malfunction pics during student training? This mal was'nt in there. Here you go.

> so instead of spending time checking my alti or being totally stable,
> I pulled the reserve ripcord as soon as I felt the main totally release.

You should do this in any case. Reserves are designed to open best while NOT belly-to-earth; head-high is a better position to deploy in.

I agree until the point I was actually on my back and the reserve bridle was deploying over my left shoulder and i had a clear view of my reserve pilotchute for moment then the reserve freebag banged into the back of my head then the canopy slammed open. I think the bag hitting my head caused the bag to spin during deployment causing line twists. The reaper still had a grip on me as I kicked out of the twists, then came time to choose landing area. so instead of landing on a dirt road I chose a muddy field in case of any clear air disturbance or micro burst or any other wierd stuff. I figured the muddy field was soft and i'd survive. Stood up the mini cricket 130 and only got my shoes muddy.

I would like to echo what pilotdave has said, and
with a simple calculation. See the estimates in:

http://www.pcprg.com/fallspeedunderbaglock.pdf

Given the numbers in current PC size and drag coefficients, and the dimensions of the human body, the fall rate could be either slower or faster than the belly-to-Earth fall rate - but not that much faster or slower.

I have learned something today, since I always thought that the jumper would fall fatser, way faster.

Jean