LouDiamond

REVIEW: BoneHead REVOLVE Helmet

Just so you all know, we're looking for ideas for mounting the GoPro. There's a post in the video forum and more opinions are needed. Here's your chance to get in on the design process. Cheers

Any plans for a mounting plate for Drift Innovation HD170 or X170 video cameras (http://www.driftinnovation.com/hd170-action-camera)? Looks like it would mount very similar to the Contour HD.

A couple people at our DZ have picked these and seem to like them:

• Aerodynamic low profile.

• Lens rotates to accomodate mounting to either top (other helmets), or left or right sides.

• View field: 170 degrees 780P, 128 degrees 1080P (HD170)

• 30 frames per second

• Good quality video and relatively inexpensive.

• I've got my REvolve on order - can't wait for it to arrive!

Doesn't look like it will be a problem. I think it's even easier then the Contour. How is the mounting side of that camera? Perfectly flat? or is there a thumb screw or something. You'll probably only need the side plate for the REvolve and some good Velcro and a couple straps of some sort. Looks like a cool camera.
    Bonehead Composites
    (951) 943-1166
    www.boneheadcomposites.com
    www.facebook.com/boneheadcomposites

Drift has a couple of videos on the HD170/X170 including one showing how to helmet mount the camera (see the 3rd one down at http://vimeo.com/channels/135990) - looks simple enough. Page 10 of their User Manual also show various mounting adaptors that come with the camera, see http://www.driftinnovation.com/HD170-Manual.pdf.

Question: The BoneHead site lists two different mounting plates.

• Contour Side Mount ONLY - $40.00

• Contour Rail AND Side Mount - $60.00

• I expect I should still order and mount the camera to one of these plates. What's the difference between the "Side Mount ONLY" and "Rail AND Side Mount"? (Do I need just the Side Mount only? What does the "Rail and Side Mount" do differently?)

Thanks

I got my wedges and finally got out to jump it with a good fit. Thanks to bonehead for great service and getting me the wedges to make my helmet fit perfectly.

I had the same problem with my protrack. It is getting pushed really hard against my ear. I have to cut the hole bigger or something.

I'll check this when I get home. I hadn't thought of the cotter pin being in the way. I would think I'd have noticed some scratches on my protrack, but it's pretty beat up to begin with :D

Thanks!

Hey!

Make sure that your audible isn't resting on top of the cotter pin. That should fix the problem. PM me if you need any help. Thanks!

My brand new REvolve full face helmet has just been tested under the most cold conditions I’ve ever jumped below 14k!

I would like to thank BH for providing me with one of the best skydiving helmets I’ve owned, since hat shop to factory diver, oxygen to Z1 and Mamba. God, it was cold! But REvolve just has some good new ideas that make it probably the best amongst the others.

Beginning with some extraordinary good padded inside cushions, that not only keep your ears warm and protected, but also provide excellent noise reduction during the way up. Oh!

Did I mentioned that we don’t have to take the helmet off?

Yes, that’s right, the full face helmet becomes totally clear face when the chin protection and visor comes all the way up! And that’s a major advantage when you need to agree on something inside the plane, especially with a RW team or even a student to brief. More advantages that might not be noticed unless you skydive often with a RW team trying to reach higher on points (going crazy sometimes) is the fact that the chin protection is one of the best and strongest I’ve tried. Yes, I’m the one that managed to destroy two flip up lens on the Z1 (nearly got myself blind on one with the broken slices of shredded glass/plastic!), on a hasty approach to tail’s boot(ies) in block 2 (I’m point, going around as close and fast as I can…) and also the Mamba’s visor got open twice on head to head bumps with OC.

Apart from all those improvements, REvolve looks tough and aggressive, the way I like a helmet to be, comfortable and easy to operate, has both sides pockets to hold your audible devices, a discrete chin strap with all the extras you need to personalize your head adjustments, an easy removable lock to release the visor which also locks automatically when lowering it (and that’s also a big advantage as you don’t have to worry much when getting ready to exit and just want to lower it on the last second…) and the most effective lens I’ve ever seen on skydiving helmets. Narrow, as in strong, easy to replace, only two attachment screws, huge field of view (that matters on RW, especially if you’re point and have to fly backwards all the time…) and did I mentioned comfort? Yes, I guess so.

No longer I have to go spitting or blowing my nose inside the helmet (yes, that’s disgusting, isn’t it?) after deploying the canopy. What about for landing and walking to the packing area? No longer having to carry the helmet on one hand, or just balancing it on the top of my head (risking letting him crash on the ground) or just for wasting time when on a back to back jump.

For all of that and for supporting our REvolving Atmosfera Portugal G4 Team THANK YOU VERY MUCH BONE HEAD!

Blue skies from the westernest country in Europe!

This review was made by João Henriques, my 4way team mate.
    Nuno Lobo Paulo
    Skydive Ultimate Switch . www.ultimate-switch.com
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 00351 919 327 315

Just got mine yesterday and although I haven't jumped it, I have to say it is incredibly light and comfortable.

Nice work, Bonehead!
    "The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

What is the total weight of the helmet with and without the visor?

BH Composites- I believe you said you have to remove 2 cotter pins to remove the visor, correct? I was under the understanding that no tools were needed to remove the visor. And the cotter pins would wear out after a few times of taking this on and off wouldn't they? Not trying to be a skeptic at all I am very interested just curious before buying.

What is the total weight of the helmet with and without the visor?

BH Composites- I believe you said you have to remove 2 cotter pins to remove the visor, correct? I was under the understanding that no tools were needed to remove the visor. And the cotter pins would wear out after a few times of taking this on and off wouldn't they? Not trying to be a skeptic at all I am very interested just curious before buying.

The helmet with/without the shield is comparable to the Pimp Daddy / a bit lighter than the Mamba weight wise. I find it to be very light for a full face, it's not a heavy helmet.

You don't need any tools, you can remove the pins from the inside of the helmet by hand. The cotter pins are not the ones I am guessing you are thinking of, BH uses "hair pin" cotter pins that look like THIS. They insert through the metal pin that holds the visor on. Unless you deform them intentionally, I highly doubt you would wear these out.
    "It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
    Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
    SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

i just put in 4 jumps and 30 minutes in the tunnel with my new revolve and i didn't even notice it was there! no fogging...ever (so far.) extremely light, great quality, fits perfect, and the face shield flip up is a one finger job.

i also liked wearing earplugs with the provided/student helmets but always hated em once under canopy...this helmet cuts wind noise considerably so no more plugs for me!

i dont have much experience with SDing helmets but from experiencing average motorcycle helmets and top quality ones, i know what a 'run of the mil' helmet can do to your head at speed, and this helmet is like a knife through butter in the air. good job bonehead!

I definitely want one of these. I spoken to my instructor and confirmed its fine to wear open faced until I get my B licence. A couple of questions though:

How much would it be to get it to the UK (shipping, import duties etc)

How would returns work? A couple of people have mentioned the size guide is a bit off and I don't want to get stuck with an ill-fitting helmet on the wrong side of the atlantic.
    My skydiving - http://unstable-exits.blogspot.com/

got my new revolve a couple of days ago-its awsome, as expected after reading all the reviews.
    2 things;
    1- no anti fog coating(though from a couple of the reviews this doesn,t seem to be a biggie)
    2- no instructions on how to take the face off.
    got the bit about the pins but even after unscrewing the front-top screw cant seem to get the ratchet of the ladder. any ideas?

got my new revolve a couple of days ago-its awsome, as expected after reading all the reviews.
    2 things;
    1- no anti fog coating(though from a couple of the reviews this doesn,t seem to be a biggie)
    2- no instructions on how to take the face off.
    got the bit about the pins but even after unscrewing the front-top screw cant seem to get the ratchet of the ladder. any ideas?

Glad to hear you and others are enjoying it. Give the rep on your side of the pond a call and they will get you sorted on removing the face shield.
    "It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
    Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
    SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hi all,

I thought I'd post the REvolve visor instructions for those that may need it:

Please carefully follow the step by step instructions below in order to experience the helmet's design features to their fullest extent.

To Open:
    1. Locate the ladder strap receiver mounted to the top of the face shield.
    2. The release button on the receiver can be identified by three short grooves.
    3. Push down on the three grooves to disengage the ladder strap and then rotate the visor back.
    4. A slight tug down on the visor simultaneously while pushing down the release button may be required to help disengage the ladder strap.

To Close:
    1. Pull down on the visor frame.
    2. The release button is not required for this operation.

To remove the visor frame (no tools required):
    1. Pull back each ear pad and remove the hairpin cotter pin from each clevis pin.
    2. Remove the clevis pin and associated washers from the helmet and face-shield.
    3. Pull back the rear portion of the top pad from inside the helmet.
    4. A short portion of the ladder strap enters the helmet through a cut out slot and then rests over a pin. Using your finger tip or pick of some type, lift the ladder strap off the pin and slide it out of the helmet.
    5. Push down the release button and slide the face-shield off the ladder strap.
    6. Reinsert the ladder strap into the helmet and secure it back over the pin. This may required you to push it down onto the pin.

We suggest that you practice opening and closing the visor to become familiar with its operation prior to jumping.

Blue Skies,
    BH
    Bonehead Composites
    (951) 943-1166
    www.boneheadcomposites.com
    www.facebook.com/boneheadcomposites